I was mulling ways to shamelessly plug a New Thing I'm doing and the thought occurred that I had no idea whether it'd be appropriate to do so here. So this is a thread about cryptic crosswords. On the one hand, most of you fine people aren't from parts where these peculiar puzzles are a respectable pastime, but on the other there's a widespread Thing For Words in the air. So on we go.
In case you're unfamiliar with cryptics – and why shouldn't you be? They're ridiculous – here's a brief explanation. A cryptic crossword clue is made up of two parts: a straight definition and a tricksier ‘wordplay’ element, in which the answer is hinted at in a more arcane and roundabout manner. The thread title, for example, breaks down like this:
Obscure is the definition. The answer will mean ‘obscure’ in some sense, but not necessarily the sense implied by the rest of the clue – although it's an adjective in the clue, the answer could be, say, ‘conceal’ (it isn't.)
chamber is chilling at firs is all wordplay. In this case, ‘chamber’ indicates ‘crypt’, a simple synonym, while ‘at first’ suggests that you take the first letters of ‘is chilly’. Put it all together and you have the answer: ‘cryptic’, meaning obscure.
These relatively simple principles are accompanied by a host of conventions and types of clue. Anagrams are common, so ‘confused rant at E.E.’ might clue ‘anteater’. A pretty good explanation of more can be found
here.
Anyone inspired or already an eager fan? If so, then clearly I should press on with the aforementioned plugging. Starting yesterday, I'm
tweeting a cryptic clue every weekday, all of them linked by a weekly theme. The solutions and the connection will go up at the weekend, and there's an EXCITING SPREADSHEET to keep track of scores for those who tweet along their answers.
Plugging aside, freebies are available from
the Guardian (I think you can still get them overseas) and they're well worth getting to grips with.