Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: assetbar down  (Read 22973 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 03:37:37 am »

although the new headmaster is slowly destroying it

Headmaster. Did you go to school in Manchester?

The idea of nostalgia for elementary school or high school is fascinating to me.

I can't blot out most of those memories fast enough.

Most of the people I care to know of from then, I'm still in touch with.

There is just so little nostalgia.

I'm with you. I'm kind of over this now, but I use to fantasize about becoming rich, but not so I could live the Good Life or become a philanthropist or anything like that, but so I could buy the properties that caused me misery when I thought of them. And then I'd bulldoze the fuck*ng buildings and like develop peaceful parks with creeks and walkways and shit like that. So, that would include my Jr. High School, one of the places I worked at in college and an apartment complex I lived at when I was also still in college. Somewhere along the way I got some therapy and grew up, so I'm good now.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 04:27:26 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 03:42:10 am »

The idea of nostalgia for elementary school or high school is fascinating to me.

I have this great memory of listening to Seasons in the Sun on the radio while sitting in the car outside the school waiting for my brother to come out.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 06:25:06 am »

As a total nerd I don't get the high school hang ups that a lot of people have. Even people I went to school with have some vendetta against the place that I half remember as being quite pleasant and have half totally forgotten. I liked the place but I think it failed to make a big impact on my one way or t'other.

On the other hand I went past the other day and discovered that they'd sold the playing fields to the hospital next door so they could make a multistory car park, which kind of bugged me. But apparently they're going to put a new field on top of the car park (this is less insane than it sounds because the school was on a cliff and the fields were many stairs lower than the school buildings) which I admire for being weird but am still kind of put out because the the loss of continuity. I like old crumbly buildings better than shiny new ones is what I'm saying.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 07:15:07 am »

I went to school in the US, but it was a rich-kid private school.

I felt nostalgia for high school until this one day where I went back, and spent 20 minutes walking around looking for people I knew, and then I thought "wait, this is what high school was, wandering the halls looking for the few people I liked. High school sucked."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 12:03:58 pm »

I checked google earth to see that my elementary school is still there.  It appears they've built a much larger school on the same property, probably a middle school.  I also noticed that the school grounds didn't have a fence around it which is pretty uncommon these days.  I also also noticed that the building is sorta wing shaped which is cool.  I always thought it was just straight.

Reminds me of Charlie Brown for some strange odd reason.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

herofix

  • Guest
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 03:56:48 pm »

I recently returned to the US after a long absence and I found the sight of all the schools with heavy fencing around it quite chilling.  I suppose you can get used to anything, but during my time there I couldn't help looking at that and thinking, 'how does nobody see this as an indicator of a massive problem?'.  I used to frequently leave high school at around lunch time if I was getting fed up or wanted to go smoke Marlboros in peace - I guess the kids these days are locked in?

My old high school was also fenced-up, which was a bit redundant really since it is already mostly surrounded by a moat.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 03:59:24 pm »

Was there a drawbridge to cross the moat?  I've always wanted a house with turrets.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 04:25:51 pm »

i think it's just as much to keep the pedophiles out
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 05:21:35 pm »

i went to the elementary school with all the white trash/ghetto kids.  the original building had burned down in the 60s and was rebuilt smaller, and as a daily activity center for senior citizens.  they rebuilt the school about half a mile up the street soon after, so i went to the new one(it was new in 1969, but by the late 80s, it was not so new, yet not so old).

really, the biggest impact i can remember making in those days was that i was known as "the kid who will cry if you pick on him long enough".
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 06:36:10 pm »

I used to frequently leave high school at around lunch time if I was getting fed up or wanted to go smoke Marlboros in peace - I guess the kids these days are locked in?
There was a graveyard on my high school campus for the dead Brothers. That's where people smoked Marlboros, in the graveyard for dead monks.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 07:49:13 pm »

The school building I was talking about that got torn down was actually an office building in midtown Manhattan. For most of the time that I went to my school, from 7th grade to maybe 10th, we did not have a building, and the school was on two floors of an office building. We had no gym and what I most fondly remember is taking the subway to a creepy bowling alley on 14th street, which counted as gym class. We played a half-assed game as fast as we could and then spent the rest of the period going shopping before we had to get back to school. Those were the joys of a decrepit New York City in the 1970s.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 11:34:28 pm »

oh man, the best era of NYC. Decrepit.

I keep being told that the NYC I see now is disneyland, and damn, it is still pretty cool seeming to me... I get to go there for radio station stuff in 2 weeks, which is exciting as hell.

my roommate grew up in brooklyn and went to school in manhattan, and because of years of subway rides to school he can fall asleep in any position, and set mental alarms for himself to wake up at a certain time.

It is funny that he grew up in NYC and can find his way around there, but gets confused about which direction from our house downtown St Louis is.

update: my roommate went to your high-school, wombat.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:56:36 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 12:21:03 am »

update: my roommate went to your high-school, wombat.

Now how did that come up? Do they all know the nostalgic stories of the days before they were born when we could go bowling for gym class?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 03:14:18 am »

1. yes, I told him and he was like "oh man, I've heard about that, when it was in an office building"
2. I suddenly just KNEW that you guys went to the same school, and checked your facebook.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

R2DTrousers

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 53
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 10:29:56 am »

School is great, but I think the sudden demise of assetbar is more interesting. Say what you will about it being a morass of gibbering, but I quite liked the clusterfuckyness of it. Other achewood discussion forums can sometimes be a bit like a private chatroom for old regulars, some of whom are maybe a bit too into themselves.

Isn't it deeply weird that the plug appears to have been pulled with absolutely no acknowledgement from the Stadmeister? I feel like I'm at a dinner party and there's muffled screaming coming from the next room that noone is acknowledging.
Logged
Computer science uses electric machines (computers for example). A computer scientist will need math, science, and know-how to make and use computers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up