Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: assetbar down  (Read 22949 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2009, 09:58:23 pm »

it's okay, Paul. You are rad.

YOU. ARE. RAD.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2009, 10:04:26 pm »

what would be the equivalent of a knife fight on a messageboard? I think I would like to see that.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2009, 10:06:47 pm »

what would be the equivalent of a knife fight on a messageboard? I think I would like to see that.

A rap battle.
Logged

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2009, 10:20:07 pm »

Assetbar was boring in its early days. And it still ebbs and flows. Has its good months and bad ones. One could even argue that it peaked a year or so back with The Great Handface Weekend (surely you know of it) and has been in decline since (I, myself, am not of this opinion, though many others are). There's pretty much a core group of posters who make it great. As long as a couple of them are around at a given time things are good and all the middle-of-the-road types feed off of it and follow suit. There aren't a bunch of dickholes like Mr. Wonderful hanging around, there is just one Mr. Wonderful with forty different accounts, most of which are auto-ignored by the site these days. Besides, the power of good, old manual ignore (scroll, scroll) is really underestimated.

Anyway, I'm not here to try to change the place. Just curious what all the hatin' was about.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2009, 10:43:45 pm »

You know that story too good, 'Dan. What exactly is the truth about you?
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2009, 10:57:28 pm »

Row.   Can I call you Row? 

Row, there's always been an insular vibe here.   The thought generally is, that everyone sucks until they prove themselves otherwise.  New people come, get hazed a little bit, get their crotches sniffed, and either stay or leave.   

That's pretty common to all message boards, and people on the internet in general.   It runs a little thicker here, but... Row, have you SEEN the things people post on YouTube?  Fark?  Any television website that allows users to comment on news stories?

Just ignore it, say whee, and you'll go nice into the personality cult.   

Good Luck, Row.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2009, 11:11:00 pm »

There's always been an insular vibe here.   The thought generally is, that everyone sucks until they prove themselves otherwise.  New people come, get hazed a little bit, get their crotches sniffed, and either stay or leave.   

That's pretty common to all message boards, and people on the internet in general.   It runs a little thicker here, but... Row, have you SEEN the things people post on YouTube?  Fark?  Any television website that allows users to comment on news stories?

Just ignore it, say whee, and you'll go nice into the personality cult.

I think a lot of our insularity comes from the circumstances surrounding the foundation of this board as Dan alluded to in this post.

Speaking for myself, I've always tried to welcome newbies with open arms.  Even Mr. Wonderful.  I treated him with respect when he first got here even though he posted a whole lot of nonsense.  Of course all that got me was called fat, but still, I tried.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2009, 11:31:36 pm »

what would be the equivalent of a knife fight on a messageboard? I think I would like to see that.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2009, 12:24:20 am »

AugustWest: It doesn't bother me that you guys have your nice, little place and that you're happy with it. I think it's cool as shit. I kinda like it here. It's just this competitive vibe I get from a lot of the comments I've read that kind of gets my goat. The seemingly fairly regular need to assert that assetbar is inferior to this place. This whole "assbar" business. I guess I get kind of offended. I mean, we don't sit around and go on about how much better we are than you, ya know?

Part of it is just a rivalry thing.  Cheers vs. Gary's Olde Towne Tavern stuff.

Part of it is just a message board inside joke thing.  Ha ha, assbar sucks.

But the biggest part, I think, is best illustrated by a hypothetical. Imagine assetbar stays gone.  Your favorite posters form a replacement board, which, if not thrives, at least survives and has the occasional rewarding, insightful or humorous moment.  A couple years go by and you have a tight community with its own culture, argot, newbies and departed saints.  And then Onstad starts another new message board type thing.  Mightn't you be a little wary of it?  Mightn't you treat it with a modicum of disdain?

Also, you guys are all ugly and your Mamas dress you funny.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2009, 01:58:20 am »

JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS AND GET THE SAND OUT OF YOUR pu$$y AND LETS TALK ABOUT SOME ACHEWOOD HERE

DID YOU SEE THAT ONE TIME THAT ROAST BEEF MUMBLED AND HIS WORD BUBBLE FONT WAS TWO POINTS SMALLER THAN THAT OF RAY AND TEODOR

I WONDER IF THAT SIZE DIFFERENCE IS GOING TO AFFECT HIS PERFORMANCE IN THE PLAYOFFS

Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2009, 02:25:47 am »

Alls I can say is that... while I have not spent large amounts of times at the assbar... the times I have tried to read it, the level of discourse was preeeeeeetty much monkeys flinging their shit at each other. Now perhaps you might say "well, you didn't give it enough of a chance" to which I would say "yeah, well, my tolerance for shit-flinging is pretty low, I am not going to hang out to see if this is an acquired taste."

If the fecal smears on the walls occasionally form sentences and you derive joy from slowly painstakingly making out those patterns, man, I leave you to your joy. Me, I prefer to be a room that is not covered in monkey shit.

Clearly a small handful of people from there are rad and have rad conversations and that's awesome as far as it goes... but the outstanding majority of that place is an assbar and, y'know, just because you feel kneejerk loyalty to it as "the first place you went" doesn't undo that fact. The place is ass.

Consider: the extent of Touamb's aggression toward the assbar are occasional pithy snide comments that we keep on our own turf whereas the assbar's main emmissary to this neighborhood is a 12 year old boy who has seemingly spent ten hours a day for a week sending us e-mails about his c*ck.

In that light, a little bit of old-fashioned elitism does not seem too too outlandish.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2009, 03:43:39 am »

JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS AND GET THE SAND OUT OF YOUR pu$$y AND LETS TALK ABOUT SOME ACHEWOOD HERE

DID YOU SEE THAT ONE TIME THAT ROAST BEEF MUMBLED AND HIS WORD BUBBLE FONT WAS TWO POINTS SMALLER THAN THAT OF RAY AND TEODOR

I WONDER IF THAT SIZE DIFFERENCE IS GOING TO AFFECT HIS PERFORMANCE IN THE PLAYOFFS



I'm afraid I have to deduct a can from you for your tone.

P.S. A can from you too, LFM, for saying you make pithy comments.   I knew Jack Pithy.  Jack Pithy was a friend of mine.  Senator, you are no Jack Pithy.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2009, 03:48:47 am »

Oh no! I pithed smick off!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2009, 05:36:56 am »

did i miss the burly man-hugs?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2009, 06:17:16 am »

Bobby use your inside voice.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up