Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Obama gets Nobel  (Read 4558 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

alreadyinuse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -31
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 64
  • sex
    • View Profile
    • sex
Obama gets Nobel
« on: October 10, 2009, 02:34:49 am »

Hey, how about those Norwegians, eh! 

This thread is the same as the previous thread, except, this thread is a serious discussion of the question at hand... Obama wins the Nobel Peace Price.  That's some crazy shit!

It's as much a slight of GW Bush as it is a vote of confidence in Obama.  Giving Gore the prize was a slight of GW Bush, although less directly so. 

So McCain came out with a note of congratulations, perhaps genuinely felt, perhaps and/or strategically aimed at getting ahead of the predictable idiocy from Rush. 

I remember back when Rush had a TV show.  I dunno if they allowed him on TV because he was more middle of the road back then, or the SOB just got lucky in the right place right time.  But yeah, I remember catching glimpses of Rush back when I was in high school, and saying to myself, damn, this guy isn't making any sense... he's contradicting himself every other minute... 

Then again, Pat Robertson is on TV still to this day... 

What is the IQ of America these days anyway?  Is there any way to measure that?  Do some statistical breakdown of the IQ of people who vote?  The average, the mean, the standard deviations, and so on?  And then compare it to other countries?  IQ has got to be something that would be relatively consistent between different countries of similar culture, e.g. European countries vs Canada & the USA.

So seriously, who does have a shot at the Republican nomination next time around?  McCain?  I'd say he has a hell of a better shot than Palin.  Palin has a good shot of replacing Limbaugh's place in the general scheme of things, not a whole lot more.  Obviously, the Republicans would do well to find a candidate of color for the next time around... As much as a large portion of the Republican base harbors deep seated prejudice, both conscious and subconscious, towards racial minorities, I can't see these same individuals voting for a white democrat (assuming Obama somehow wasn't in the running again,) and I don't even see them voting for a white independent either...  Because as much as they might prefer to vote for a white independent over a Black or Latino Republican, I suspect that many of them would prefer even more to vote *against* a black or even a white Democrat...  Hell... if any of these rednecks might have possibly voted Democratic in the past, I think they probably now associate the Democratic party with Black people so much that many of them may never vote Democratic again.  No, most likely, if the Republican nominee for president turns out to be Black or Latino, the hardcore core of the Republican party simply won't show up to vote.  But that be okay for the Republicans, I guess, because they could perhaps make up for it by splitting the Black and Latino vote.  They could play up a bunch of fascist rhetoric against gays and jews and contraception and abortion.  But damn... Obama ain't makin even that path easy for them... Did you see him schmoozing it up with the Pope?  Dude got the fuckin' Pope's blessing.  More than I could bring myself to do, I'll tell you that much.  This one time I was working as a translator for a bunch of religious fags at an appearance of the Pope, and there were like a million fuck*ng people there, maybe two million, man, it just made me so sick.  They put some bitch on stage who started playing a Janice Joplin song to be hip with the kids... "Oh Lord, won't you buy me, a Mercedes Benz..." and I was like ... you have got to be kidding me!  This is so gay!  So then at some point I got separated from my girl friend, because the group I was with got split up into two smaller groups, and I wanted to get over to see her, but for security reasons they had these barriers up that you couldn't cross, because the pope was about to appear and they didn't want any sudden stampedes or whatever, and I was like 'fuck this' and I walked like 5 miles to get the hell out of there.  I was like, there is too fuckin' many people here it ain't cool.  And the prospect of listenin' to the Pope pontificate didn't thrill me either.  Later that night my gf and I hooked up again, and I got her to have sex doggy style; she never was too into that...  She's a lesbian now.  It figures.


Okay... there you go... fodder for intelligent discussion.  Except for that last part.


Logged
sex

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 02:43:17 am »

At first I thought Mr. Alreadyinuse was just doing this "for the lulz" but now I think a mental disorder is at least in play here.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 02:53:20 am »

And the prospect of listenin' to the Pope pontificate didn't thrill me either. 

Nobody pontificates like the Pope.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 04:42:08 am »

Nobody pontificates like the Pope.

I would contend that everyone does, by definition.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 05:08:12 am »

I started reading this and at first I was thinking Mr. Wonderful is trying to redeem himself so his can count will go back up.  And he was doing ok for a bit, but then it was like his mind slipped and fell down the stairs.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

alreadyinuse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -31
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 64
  • sex
    • View Profile
    • sex
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 06:59:51 am »

At first I thought Mr. Alreadyinuse was just doing this "for the lulz" but now I think a mental disorder is at least in play here.

I started reading this and at first I was thinking Mr. Wonderful is trying to redeem himself so his can count will go back up.  And he was doing ok for a bit, but then it was like his mind slipped and fell down the stairs.

The problem with my style of trolling is that I often am left wondering *exactly* what combination of statements it was that produced the desired reaction.  Does that make sense?  When people are laughing, or recoiling as the case may be, to the extent that you don't know exactly what they are laughing at / recoiling from, you feel left out of the joke.  So yeah, I admit that sometimes I do feel like I'm watching a pan 'n scan.  Like if I was a highly trained killer, right, in the military, I wouldn't be the sniper.  I would be using more of a shot gun or 50mm antomatic cannon or something, all blam blam blam blam, taking out the chicken with massive collateral damage.  That's just my style.  "if I keep typing for another paragraph or two, at least one of these statements will push at least one person over the edge, and if not, then taken all together as a whole, it should do it."  (this post could stop now, but as you see, it doesn't.)

But seriously, man, what is it about America that no one discusses politics seriously/in depth?  I mean come on...  In that whole entire paragraph up there, okay the part about the pope and the ex-lesbo-gf, that part aside, that is a whole frickin lot of seriosity.  If there is ONE person on this whole entire board who wants to have an intellectual conversation, surely they have got to show up, right?  I mean, that whole mess of random political stuff up there... it's like I just dumped a whole bucket of chum in shark water... a whole bucket of still-beating freshly eviscerated poultry hearts, right...  like chaff to the shark's super-sensitive radar, right...
Logged
sex

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 02:22:18 pm »

So, all of that not withstanding, I was kind of weirded out by the nobel peace prize thing. I mean, all the dude did was get elected, and he has been nice to other countries instead of a straight up dick, and I see the power of positive reinforcement but peace prize. Gandhi never even got one of those.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

alreadyinuse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -31
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 64
  • sex
    • View Profile
    • sex
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 04:49:38 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Peace_Prize

According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

Obama hasn't put as much personal effort towards the cause of peace as did Ghandi.  Obama hasn't devoted his life to peace as complete as the 14th Dalai Lama, who was awarded a Nobel peace prize.  We can all agree that if Obama didn't happen to be president of the U.S., he'd have never been even seriously considered for the peace prize.  Obama *is* president, however.  He's president of one of the most bellicose jingoistic war-mongering nations on the face of the Earth, a nation whose recent wars have brought death and destruction that rivals even the Chinese invasion and subjugation of Tibet.  As such, simply by *not* pushing the giant red button and invading another country, but instead, leading the country towards a more peaceful posture and attitude, Obama *has* done a hell of a lot for the cause of peace. 

Had the nation been in an era of peace, Obama's leadership wouldn't have been so remarkable, and he undoubtedly would not have received the Nobel prize.  It is the contrast of Obama's rhetoric with the Bush era politics and rhetoric that is important and which constitutes a 'work towards peace' substantial enough, in the esteem of the committee, to merit the prize.

It's an unfortunate reality that bureaucratic institutions, including entire governments, hold so much sway over the affairs of people.  Obama's contribution as candidate for President and subsequently as President of the U.S. is that he has steered, but actually and also symbolically, the U.S. govt towards the direction of peace, he has given voice to the U.S. population which advocates peace, and more importantly, he has given expression to that entire segment of the world population which advocates peace, and he as done all of this if through no other property of his own than by merely not being George Bush.  Does Obama the person deserve the Peace prize?  Undoubtedly not.  Does Obama the president who has started (yes only just started) the process of bringing the U.S. govt, and possibly the whole world, back from the edge of apocalypse deserve the Prize?  Sure why not.  As one or more members of the Nobel Peace Prize Committee admitted themselves, the dude may yet crash and burn, but for the moment anyway, he both symbolizes and embodies the world's hopes for a better and more peaceful bureaucratic paradigm.

It's interesting that a committee derived from the ultra-liberal and generally secular Norwegian people have proposed Obama to be the current keystone in the question of world peace...  This is interesting, when you consider the fact that the ultra-conservative religious movements in the U.S. have since before the election proposed the same thing...  Although, this latter movement proposes Obama to be none other than the anti-Christ...  More than an extremist idea held by a few crack-pots, this idea actually enjoys widespread traction in the more conservative areas of the U.S. such as the Mid-West.  In it's more extreme and literal manifestation, this idea of Obama the anti-Christ may be relegated to an extremist minority, but certainly, there is in the not insubstantial rank and file of the U.S. conservative movement a more general widespread sense that Obama is unwitting puppet in some scheme that is bigger than he is, some scheme straight out of the Prophesies, involving Free Masons or Space Aliens, or.. or.., involving the unification of all world governments into one, in anticipation of... you guessed it... The Rapture... *rolls eyes.*  No, seriously, I am not kidding you, the average rank and file of God-Fearing Truck-Driving Factory-Working Midwesterner actually holds onto these ideas in one form or another.  These ideas are alive in the American conservative movement.  Not every conservative holds onto these ideas, but many do, and even more than a few so-called 'independents' and Democrats hold onto either these conspiracy ideas themselves, or hold onto and help perpetuate the general environment of religious fanaticism and educational deficit (a whole other topic right there) in which these ideas thrive.

Well anyway, predictions of the End of The World and also of imminent World Peace (see the U.S. Hippie movement of the 1960s) have again and again over the decades enjoyed popularity, and invariably these predictions fall flat.  It's just interesting that at the present moment, not only do the liberals of the world recognize Obama as being somehow key to world peace, but also the conservatives recognize Obama as being somehow so potentially dangerous to their cause (which, however well-intentioned, has historically always coincided with death and destruction) as to call Obama out as none other than the anti-Christ.

Meanwhile I still don't have health care.
Logged
sex

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 05:28:59 pm »

Dude.

I have no idea if you're trolling or sincere or some kind of alternating mixture of the two and whatever, it's the internet, it's Chinatown but...

You gotta break up those monster paragraphs into more legible doses, no matter what your agenda.

My eyes hurt.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 07:30:43 pm »

I am not sure that dumping chum in the water is a good way to evoke serious political discussion. But yeah, man, the paragraphs. They don't charge extra if you use the "enter" key.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 07:47:20 pm »

This board learned a long time ago that open ended political discussions lead to terrible places.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 08:19:13 pm »

A lot of people are comparing Obama to Hitler... and while I don't agree with mooooost things Hitler did...
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 09:47:11 pm »

Yeah, I saw some people in Seattle holding giant pictures of Obama with a Hitler 'stache.

I just don't get it, this does not seem to be a smart or even somewhat effective way to get people to agree with you or even listen to what you have to say. The other 3 people who think that Obama=Hitler will nod their head, and everybody else will go, "Oh look, a crazy person."

Mr. Wonderful, we've already got one King of the Rambling Post, long may he reign. So, please use shorter paragraphs or pare down the post length or up the coherency or something. Thanks for engaging, though. We need more (quality) posts/posters around here to keep the genetic diversity at satisfactory levels.
Logged

alreadyinuse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -31
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 64
  • sex
    • View Profile
    • sex
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 08:16:35 am »

This board learned a long time ago that open ended political discussions lead to terrible places.

maybe parties in question are not doing it right then?
Logged
sex

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Obama gets Nobel
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 01:26:40 pm »

So, all of that not withstanding, I was kind of weirded out by the nobel peace prize thing. I mean, all the dude did was get elected, and he has been nice to other countries instead of a straight up dick, and I see the power of positive reinforcement but peace prize. Gandhi never even got one of those.

Eh, why is it such a big deal what a bunch of Scandinavians do with their dynamite-inventing fortune. They are constantly giving weird prizes, like in literature to people no one else has ever heard of, it's not like this is the first. And there are plenty of "so and so never got the literature prize" cases too.

Really sometimes this seems no different from a bunch of well-known bloggers voting on their favorites for the year, and knowing that they'll get more publicity if some of the picks are obscure or will make people say WTF. Except with more money and they've been doing it longer. The whole thing is obviously a matter of opinion. They think they are cooler for having read this obscure German novelist, and Obama is their favorite world leader this year, fine. Maybe we should all just chill out.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up