Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: what is a good content management system to use?  (Read 8235 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

alreadyinuse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -31
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 64
  • sex
    • View Profile
    • sex
what is a good content management system to use?
« on: October 15, 2009, 04:08:42 am »

hi everyone

I am thinking maybe I should make a blog

but I want to have a fair degree of ease of use and power and stuff in managing the content that I generate, and in giving different users different levels of access to specific bits and pieces of content and stuff

I've tried some free BBS software similar to what TOUAMB runs on and that didn't hack it.  too cumbersome. 

I have a dreamhost account, so that means I can run pretty much any sort of linux sorta thing with mysql and so on.

but anyway, if I just want to do a basic blog, what should I use for that?  any suggestions or experiences?

Logged
sex

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 04:10:32 am »

TL ;  DR
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 04:14:44 am »

Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 04:21:30 am »

Unfortunately, that is not my area of expertise. Actually, I don't think that I really have any area of expertise. But, best of luck in your endeavors.
Logged

alreadyinuse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -31
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 64
  • sex
    • View Profile
    • sex
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 04:24:29 am »

I am sure you are smart in some way
Logged
sex

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 04:29:35 am »

hi everyone

I am thinking maybe I should make a blog

but I want to have a fair degree of ease of use and power and stuff in managing the content that I generate, and in giving different users different levels of access to specific bits and pieces of content and stuff

I've tried some free BBS software similar to what TOUAMB runs on and that didn't hack it.  too cumbersome. 

I have a dreamhost account, so that means I can run pretty much any sort of linux sorta thing with mysql and so on.

but anyway, if I just want to do a basic blog, what should I use for that?  any suggestions or experiences?




wordpress
for greater granularity, zope/plone
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 04:43:18 am »

Yeah, wordpress is basically the standard, hell i think you can even set one up on the free at wordpress.com if you want to try it out.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:47:38 am »

Yeah, wordpress is basically the standard, hell i think you can even set one up on the free at wordpress.com if you want to try it out.

I dunno, Mr. Wonderful is a programmer of some sort right? He wants greater control.

Mr. Wonderful, I've heard of something that fits your needs, but I forget what it is called - it is based around a perl 6 interpreter written in Haskell.  So it's versatile AND elegand.

Just go to google and type

perl 6 interpreter haskell

and hit "I'm Feeling Lucky" - it's the first hit.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 05:06:01 am »

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 05:17:26 am »

THIS CHAIR!

I THINK MY HEART'S EXPLODING!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 05:18:21 am »

THIS CHAIR!

I THINK MY HEART'S EXPLODING!

My basal nervous system WANTS this chair!
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 05:19:45 am »

THIS CHAIR!

I THINK MY HEART'S EXPLODING!
That chair is pretty sweet, I can not find a bad thing to say about that chair, no sir.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 06:13:22 am »

If your main thing is to have a blog then I think Wordpress is the one you want.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 12:45:23 pm »

I think WordStar is what you're looking for. 

WordStar.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: what is a good content management system to use?
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 12:54:18 pm »

Just go to google and type

perl 6 interpreter haskell

and hit "I'm Feeling Lucky" - it's the first hit.

Bobby shows the trolls how it's done.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up