Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pet peeeeeeves  (Read 4587 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BUFFY

  • Guest
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 02:18:07 am »

white power assholes

I bet that white power assholes have pretty much the same pet peeves as the rest of us.  except for that one.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 06:00:33 am »

I don't know if any of these are pet peeves, because they are all reasonable things.

my pet peeve is when people say "my pet peeve is ______" and it's something stupid, and they expect you to change your behavior because of their "pet peeve."

My high school girlfriend once told me that something I did while driving was her "pet peeve" and called me a jerk for refusing to change it. Kind of made me want to drop her off on the side of the road and tell her to walk home.

I guess my pet peeve, actually, is when people make comments about my driving while I am driving. I absolutely LOSE MY SHIT when people criticize my driving. I am a cautious driver. I'm going to take as long to make this left turn as I fuck*ng want, and the more you talk to me, the longer it's going to take. If I try to be less cautious, I end up overcompensating and YOU WILL DIE IN A CAR CRASH. I have attention problems, and yes, I'm going to turn off the music and make you stop talking while I turn left at this red light. Shut up.

On my first date with my (girlfriend?) we almost got in a car accident because I talked to her while I was trying to turn left. I get very distracted. It's a good thing we were on a tiny road and the other guy was going like... 20 mph. He honked at me and made a "WTF, I am the only car on the road and you turned right in front of me" face.

oh, also, her sister was in the car. her sister who hates me and called me a neandertal.

The only time I have yelled at my roommate is when he pulled that shit.
And then a day later when a carfull of drunk yelling people tried to tell me how to parallel park. "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY CAR AND SHUT THE FUCK UP."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 02:18:54 pm »

I have the same problem as smells.

I know!  What the hell!  Wombats post makes me wonder -- I guess there actually are places in the word where gutter faeries (aka street workers?) clear away leaves?  That is not how it rolls in my city, and infact, every year there is always a news story about how it is illegal to sweep leaves and/or other debris into the street.  My street is extremely narrow, with a parking lane on the side my house is on, so even if magical gutter faeries came to clean the leaves, most of the debris would be unaccessible to anyone but the smallest of the under-the-vehicle sized faeries.  Considering the city is happy to ignore my neighbourhood all together, including far more serious problems, I doubt this is even on the radar.

The best thing was that yesterday neighbourhood kids were going door to door offering to rake people's yards for pay, and were raking everything into the street.  People were actually paying children to clog the sewer drain-offs.  Sigh.

Far worse is when the snow comes, and the caked frozen rotten debris is then covered by a two inch thick layer of ice, which is inevitably covered by a lake of melted snow and ice that spreads across the entire width of the street, unable to drain off.  If left, the lake of ice is deep enough to submerge car tires 1-3 inches, freeze up and cause all hell to break loose.  Or, you know, it's -30C out and people walking past get splashed with a wave of ice/slush/rot.  Or my SO or I get splashed WHILE trying to address the problem.

I've had to go out for hours and hack away at the ice, then break up and clear the frozen debris gunk, only to have more debris instantly clog it again.  This goes on in a cyclical, unending pattern all winter. 

Apologies for the bitch fest.  This is a major annoyance of mine.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 02:35:51 pm »

Set alll the leaves on fire when you still have the chance. And then burn your neighbors' rakes so the leaves will stay in the yard where they don't do much damage.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 02:41:20 pm »

Further elaboration of her problem

Well I don't have any of those problems.  I just have to scoop up other folks yard clippings.  But I'll say it mostly comes from the hired yard guys that blow the shit into the street with their leaf blowers.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 03:14:01 pm »

We really do have leaf fairies. They go around twice every fall putting up a notice that they are coming within the next week, and everyone rakes the leaves into the street, and one day they are gone.

I wonder if they do that in other parts of your city, or they used to do it in your neighborhood. So everyone has this ritual of raking leaves in the street and has forgotten that the original reason for doing it is gone. Maybe it is a sacrifice to the leaf fairies in the hopes that they will come back.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 05:59:24 pm »

I just run the mower over mine.  If I'm feeling really ambitious I rake 'em over one of the garden plots for mulch.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 07:28:57 pm »

See, we save our leaves for the composter, so I have another reason to abhore those people putting their leaves to waste. 

Also, my dog found a nearly complete slice of pizza hidden under some leaves on a walk recently.  He was all "jackpot!" and I was all "No! No!" which only makes him chew faster. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 07:55:31 pm »

Speaking of shit that dogs find while out and about, my pet peeve is people who drop used tampons in alleys for me to subsequently pry from my friend's dog's mouth as I was walking him
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 08:07:33 pm »

See the disgusting fact there is that cats and other animals could be tearing into garbage bags to get at these things, then tossing them intot the street when they realize they are inedible.  There is a reason why all the garbage cans in my house have closing lids you see. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 08:17:15 pm »

Hey, you haven't lived until you've had your little dog wolf down a hot dog without chewing it and subsequently had to help the poor little guy when it comes out the other end intact.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 08:18:43 pm »

Sorry folks: The field for funniest dog shit story is closed. 

Asherdan is the winner.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 08:27:09 pm »

hence "pet" peeves
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 09:29:14 pm »

See, I was going to tell a dog shit story... no I will anyway.  I am a late entry, so feel free to disqualify me. 

Shortly after we adopted him, we discovered Mortimer had fleas.  Due to the recent administration of a heart worm pill, the vet advised us to wait a week before we started treatment for the fleas.  Morty looked at me with this terribly sad expression, and he was so obviously uncomfortable with itches.  There were fleas all over him, jumping around, having a party on my poor dog.  Also, I wasn't particularly interested in comforting Morty, being that he was covered in fleas and not all that appealing to cuddle at that point, so he was quite depressed that the human he had recently fallen in love with didn't seem to like him any more. 

The discovery of the fleas occurred two days before I was to participate in the Three Day Novel Competition (which is, needless to say, where you write a novel in three days), which I had be preparing for for months.  This was hopefully not a problem, since my husband had agreed to take care of the dog while I wrote.  Then the day before the competition, my husband came home sick with what we later found out was HINI, and which over the course of the weekend progressed to pneumonia.  He muttered don't worry – I'll still take care of the dog.  Write your novel before passing out for eight hours of fitful fevered sleep. 

So I tried to write my novel.  I wrote, starting right at midnight.  I wrote and wrote, straight through the first night, and through the day.  I was worrying about my husband (still sick, but alive) and dog (still itchy and depressed, but otherwise okay).  I kept the door shut on the office and checked on them during a few planned breaks I took.  I had planned to sleep that evening, so on a break, I woke my husband up and asked if he was too sick to walk the dog.  He said he would be fine, and staggered out the door.

I returned to writing for a few more hours, and at midnight, after writing for 24 hours (less two 15 min and one half hour break – timed) I staggered to bed ready to sleep, and my husband also, getting much sicker, staggered to bed after having walked Morty and put him in his crate for the night.

We both lay down, and Morty started to whimper in his crate down stairs.  I yelled at him to be quiet, and he would for a bit, then he would start up again.  My husband would yell at him, he would stop, then he'd cry some more.  Both my husband and I were delirious from our differing reasons for exhaustion, so we muttered to each other about the stupid fleas we assumed were causing him to whimper, and yelled at the dog to shut up, and this situation ran through the six hour window of sleep I afforded myself.  The dog was still whimpering when my alarm clock went off at 6am, and I went back to my office, closed the door, and tried to write some more.

My husband, meanwhile, got up to give the dog a morning walk, and in my office, with a floor between us and a closed office door I heard the swearing, which I attempted to ignore until I could ignore it no longer.

Seems the dog had had explosive, liquid diarrhea all over his crate, then been left to baste in it over night.  There was my flea riddled shit-covered dog, with his shitty paw prints everywhere, and his shit filled bed, sitting next to my sickly husband.  They both looked terrible, and terribly in need of my care.  I said as much, but my husband insisted I go back to writing, and that he would never forgive himself if his illness caused me to quite the competition.

So I tried to go back to writing, but all I could think about was my very sick husband and my very sick, flea riddled dog.  I was plaguedwith guilt – for not helping my husband and for leaving the dog to baste in his own excrement as he cried and cried to us for help.  I tried to ignore the sounds of my husband trying to clean up the house and dog, but it was all I could hear, all I could think about. 

I was too exhausted to focus due to lack of sleep, and I simply couldn't write anymore.  I was certain I needed to give up.  I went downstairs, crying like a baby, to tell my husband this, but he refuse to hear it, and insisted I take a nap and get back to work.

I took my nap, and when I awoke, I read the unreadable, nihilistic crap I'd written, and knew it was over.  I had not written a novel, I had no chance of saving what I had done, and I had no time to start over.  I was totally at peace with this, and told my husband so.  He still didn't want me to give up and was worried I'd later blame him for this due to how worried I was about his illness.  I insisted this was not the case, and that I was quitting due to exhaustion, not him.

A couple days later, I mentioned I was worried that on top of adopting a dog with fleas, we may have adopted a dog with serious intestinal problems.  My husband assured me there was nothing to worry about.  He admitted to me that while walking the dog that night, in his sickly delirium, he failed to notice the dog eating cheese covered jalapeños until after he’d eaten several.  We live down the street from a Burger King, and the “Angry Whopper” was on special.


« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:48:25 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeeeeeves
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 10:18:08 pm »

This thread has resembled TOUAMB of old.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up