Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: On the topic of Assetbar...  (Read 191010 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 12:02:25 am »

LFM, please, I don't want to become one of those people who is a bitch to people on the internet, so next time you have the urge to rant about Onstad's creative process or business model, do what deja says. Just think of something else to talk about.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 12:13:35 am »

I don't understand...not to jump in waters that might contain a shark, but it sounds to me that LFM was supporting and empathizing with why TOUAMB folk might feel resentment toward Assetbar.  Why is that a bad thing?
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 12:25:01 am »

I miss the noobs that used to read the whole archives. Damn, I am becoming that person aren't I?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 01:36:35 am »

I miss the noobs that used to read the whole archives. Damn, I am becoming that person aren't I?
Heh...there are a LOOOOOOOT of archives.  I'm workin' through 'em fast as I can.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 01:54:40 am »

Also, what good is an archive when some threads are 5913513531 pages long (Today I'm gonna...) and therefore, context gathering is a PITA?


The fact is the very thing that lead most of the people here to form this board (the tendency to wander off topic, often in non-Euclidean directions) is the same thing that presents a barrier to entrance for new users.

The standard LURK MOAR methodology only goes so far.

Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 02:19:04 am »

I'm here for the rituals.  Where's my gown?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 02:39:36 am »

And here I just thought we hated AssBar because they suck dicks in the main
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 02:44:12 am »

I'm uncomfortable with just how much air time assetbar has had around the ranch lately.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 03:16:10 am »

There's something distinctly creepy about a dude throwing a hissy-fit because people have constructive criticism and don't always talk about him every little second... takes his ball and goes home... and pretty quickly, he's monetizing the ball and creating a place where the level of discourse is suspect at best, is crafted to squash nuanced critique and anything other than talking about him and the whole thing is remade into a transparent funnel toward merchandising sales.

Nothing illegal or necessarily unethical about that change but...

It's a bit fucked-up. At least a little mercenary, at least a little narcissistic. Especially from a dude who had been treating these guys like casual friends and equals on some level up to that point.

Had it been transactional from the start, the sense of betrayal might've been much less but... dude had been treating these fine folks like conversation partners for a while and then... nothing... and then an invitation to go to a new place and be treated like revenue streams.

I wasn't there but I can definitely see how that'd be messed-up and would sting in a more-than-superficial manner.
Dude, there is just no two ways about this: you are full of it regarding this subject. I'm pretty sure that some form of a premium service existed before assetbar and that assetbar existed for a good while before the current premium service. Furthermore, the free assetbar (so far as I know) has nothing to do with assetbar on the premium service other than that assetbar is something that is made available to both paid and unpaid readers. Your previous implication that the main assetbar was shutdown in order to herd assetbarrians into the premium service is evidently wrong.

There's no reason to view Onstad's various money-making endeavors as tainting the reader-creator relationship. It's not as if he's a friend of your springing a multi-level marketing presentation on you during a dinner party.

Signed,
A dude who has only ever paid for a book and a bottle of hot sauce and who has spent a total of 5 minutes on the assbar.


Edit: You also seem to think that the fanflow is diverting quality and quantity from the main strip. This is why you feel betrayed, right? Well, the quality is just like, your opinion man. As to the quantity, I believe that strip production had already slowed to current levels pre-fanflow. I suspect the fanflow really just redirected efforts from side-work like the blogs. You may have started reading when the blogs were in full swing and thus feel more entitled to that type of content.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:31:06 am by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 03:27:32 am »

Dude, there is just no two ways about this: you are full of it regarding this subject. I'm pretty sure that some form of a premium service existed before assetbar and that assetbar existed for a good while before the current premium service. Furthermore, the free assetbar (so far as I know) has nothing to do with assetbar on the premium service other than that assetbar is something that is made available to both paid and unpaid readers. Your previous implication that the main assetbar was shutdown in order to herd assetbarrians into the premium service is evidently wrong.

There's no reason to view Onstad's various money-making endeavors as tainting the reader-creator relationship. It's not as if he's a friend of your springing a multi-level marketing presentation on you during a dinner party.

Signed,
A dude who has only ever paid for a book and a bottle of hot sauce.

This.

Onstad is the bartender. You are in his bar. You may be drinking nothing but tap water and that's fine, but don't expect to be given priority over the people slinging back top shelf liquor.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 03:33:24 am »

There's no reason to view Onstad's various money-making endeavors as tainting the reader-creator relationship. It's not as if he's a friend of your springing a multi-level marketing presentation on you during a dinner party.

Signed,
A dude who has only ever paid for a book and a bottle of hot sauce and who has spent a total of 5 minutes on the assbar.
How was the hot sauce?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 03:35:30 am »

It was a gift. My only interaction with it involved my cousin declaring to the assembled partygoers that there was a cat wearing a codpiece on the label. I do not think that Ray wears a codpiece, but I don't think that I made a stink. He is a fan, but apparently we have different ideas about what the characters wear.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 03:36:32 am »

Can we not do this here? I started this thread to explain to some of the newer members why some of us old-guard have some hostility towards Onstad and AssetBar.

If you aren't one of the people who shares this particular opinion, I'm SO happy for you I could piss myself with glee. And if you are, please realize that we (and I include myself here) are behaving irrationally and really should be over it, since it happened six years ago and doesn't actually matter.

Now shut up about it before I delete every post except the first and lock the thread. I'm getting too old and too cranky for this gig.

Additionally: How was the hot sauce? Nevermind.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 08:14:50 am »

Well, if nothing else, it demonstrates to the nice new people that we are perfectly capable of being hostile to our own so people don't feel persectued. You should never be a dick to a stranger, but being a dick to your friends is usually ok.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:23:52 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 12:55:20 pm »

I like the hot sauce. It is flavorful but not super-hot.

Also, where is the admin function to give Doc a thousand cans?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up