Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fat  (Read 3202 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

never

  • Guest
fat
« on: October 27, 2009, 02:16:21 am »

this is about neurological and biological development in general.  in particular, it has some insight into why some people are fat and some are skinny.  good stuff.
http://elliotsmith.us/babies/



(moved from wildcard)
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: fat
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 03:09:48 am »

Dude...did you... just call me fat?
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: fat
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 03:32:37 am »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: fat
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 04:39:11 am »

Oh how I laughed GK!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: fat
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:48:56 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: fat
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 02:15:40 pm »

I didn't listen to the linked audio, but I was an extremely fat baby (too fat to walk - I didn't take my first steps until 18 mo.) and I'm now an extremely skinny adult (6'7" 165lbs). Whenever I tell people this they think I'm joking.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: fat
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 02:27:26 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: fat
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 04:07:17 pm »

I didn't listen to the linked audio, but I was an extremely fat baby (too fat to walk - I didn't take my first steps until 18 mo.) and I'm now an extremely skinny adult (6'7" 165lbs). Whenever I tell people this they think I'm joking.
This is, metabolically speaking, fascinating!  Do you eat like a typical adult male eats, or are you very picky regarding food?
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: fat
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 04:39:44 pm »

I'm a pretty typical eater, ie I eat anything and everything. I blame it on my family - we are all tall and thin although I'm on the extreme end of it. Makes finding well-fitting clothes a real bitch.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: fat
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 06:20:24 pm »

Yet another person who should just throw out the BMI charts.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: fat
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:30:37 pm »

the other day I looked up my BMI, and found out that for the first time in my life I'm in the "normal" range. I've always been in like the 10th percentile... at one point I was off the chart.

college has made me eat a lot of foods that are horrible for me. also, beer. and soda.

in other growing-up news, I am growing hair on my back. EUGH.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: fat
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 01:21:17 am »

What's weird is I'm actually considered on the low side of normal according to BMI. From what I've read though BMI is mainly useful for quickly determining whether large populations are healthy in general, rather than assessing if a given individual is healthy or not.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: fat
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 01:50:05 am »

I think BMI is only really useful on the individual level if you use displacement. That accounts for the fat/muscle problem.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: fat
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 04:37:34 am »

Lemmy needs a pal on Drinkin' Island.

If it's wrong to get sentimental over a Lemmy video, then I don't want to be right.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up