Firstly....
One Week - Barenaked Ladies
The level of loathing that I hold for this song is the standard by which I measure my displeasure regarding all others.
Of course. Congratulations - you have a soul.
Then....
'black hole sun' ruined 1995 for me. and '96.
Thank you. I have had
way too many friends down the years who have tried to defend that band to me. And to them I say....
Spoon Man? What the hell was up with that. So bad.
Elsewhere....
My #1 most-despised pop song is...
(drum roll please)....
Don't Go Chasin' Waterfalls.
I have to say that I've always had a soft for that song. When it came out I was in a pretty all-encompassing punk phase and I
still thought it cooked (which probably should've been a pretty clear indication that my future would be more Belle & Sebastian and less Circle Jerks). I'm not gonna try to defend it, but I have to be honest about it; I still like it all these years later.
And....
One that I currently hate more than anything is that damn Taylor Swift song "Love Story."
Can't say that I've ever heard it, but from scanning the lyrics I can say that she could use
a lesson from Mark Knopfler on the subject of incorporating that particular storyline into a pop song. He's the only one who ever did it right and he did it
so right.
And finally....
....I could never get through the song Dead. It just bugged the crap out of me.
But...but those are the best lyrics they ever wrote....
You cannot be serious.P.S.
Also, there is a terrible cover of the already terrible Toto song Africa which instantly causes me to change the station.
Ray and I could not possibly disagree with you more.P.P.S.
I haven't been listening to the radio much so far in the 21st century, but the worst popular song that has managed to reach me against all odds in the last year or so would have to be either "I Kissed a Girl" or maybe something by that annoying, talentless little pissant Soulja Boy.