Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The popular song(s) you hate the most.  (Read 15864 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 01:44:03 pm »

Choop - yes Black Hole Sun was terrible.  Also - the video for Black Hole Sun was equally terrible.

I wish you ill.  Soundgarden freakin' rocked.

My suggestion would be anything by Limp Bizkit, especially that one where he went "Yeah sucka hands down, tell me whatchoo gonna do now?!" in a squeaky voice.  Was that shit supposed to be intimidating?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 01:55:15 pm »

'my hump' is the least alluring description for female anatomy basically ever.

I said essentially the same thing to a woman yesterday.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 01:56:56 pm »

My #1 most-despised pop song is...

(drum roll please)....

Don't Go Chasin' Waterfalls.

Why?

Waterfalls don't move, you dolt! You don't have to chase them! They're stationary objects!

Gah.

I hate that song, but for a different reason.  Paul McCartney has a song called Waterfalls and it has the exact same line in it. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 03:03:50 pm »

I think I basically find all of the songs people are posting to be terribly annoying.

Carlos, I am not slagging Soundgarden in general - I liked some of their stuff.  Okay, but if we're on the topic of Soundgarden: Spoon Man?  What the hell was up with that.  So bad.

In regard to the Black Eyed Peas, have we forgotten about the original version of "Lets Get Started" - "Let's Get Retarded?"

The video is here. The original lyrics are here.

Jay-ell - I super, mega ultra hate Don't Go Chasin' Waterfalls.  So annoying.  So poorly written.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 03:04:53 pm »

For a while I liked Beirut's "Elephant Gun".

Then the wrong people in high places noticed that song, and put it in the soundtrack of a pin-headed TV adaptation of one of Machado de Assis most famous books, Dom Casmurro.

1) Machado de Assis is renowned by his subtlety and elegance, and Dom Casmurro shows him at perhaps his most restrained - so naturally the good TV folk adapted the story using circus elements, and a German expressionist style! The protagonist was shown crying through one of those novelty glasses that squirt water! Yay!

2) They really got their money's worth out of the deal. To say that they overused the song would be an understatement. It was on the opening and ending credits, it was in the soundtrack itself, it was everywhere all the time. Always that little intro with the mandolin, always the main riff with the plaintive horns. Over and over and over and over again.

3) A friend of mine who still follows music went to buy tickets to the Beirut gig here in Rio. It was after the series had ended, when every living soul in this vast land (8.500.000 km2, 190.000.000 people) had been bludgeoned to death with the song. She said the queue to buy tickets was 60% old ladies who simply adored the TV series. She was cornered into chatting, and got to learn that the old ladies thought that "Elephant Gun" was the most precious thing ever penned by a young musician in the last 20 years, so much better than all that noisy stuff...

In short, I wish I had an elephant gun available everytime I hear the song or someone mentioning the song. But then I would be poor because I bet elephant bullets don't come cheap.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 03:07:37 pm »

Thank you, smells. For some reason it really really bugs me when a venue that has been playing the "explicit" versions of songs will suddenly put on "Let's Get Started." It's like the universe has decided that the original version just never existed at all.

I'm tempted to just list entire bands that used to make me immediately switch radio stations (Bush) but I think it's probably more telling to say that despite TMBG being my favorite band for many years I could never get through the song Dead. It just bugged the crap out of me.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 04:23:02 pm »

My #1 most-despised pop song is...

(drum roll please)....

Don't Go Chasin' Waterfalls.

Why?

Waterfalls don't move, you dolt! You don't have to chase them! They're stationary objects!

Gah.
Man, you must have really hated Don Quixote
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 04:28:04 pm »

'my hump' is the least alluring description for female anatomy basically ever.


What hump?


Right now I'm really hating this Careless Whisper remake that I'm hearing on the radio.   It's soulless, and lasts forever.   Earlier this month I was in a strip club, and the nice lady on stage echoed my feelings on this.  When this song came on, she made a face and a juvenile 'jacking-off' hand gesture.

Relatedly: I feel like I'm really supposed to hate Lady Gaga.   I'm supposed to find everything about her and her music repulsive.   For the life of me I cannot.   I love her!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 04:51:38 pm »

Lady Gaga is pretty damn cool.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 04:56:09 pm »

... Limp Bizkit...

it pains me to admit this, but there was a period of 2 years(i think i was in jr. high) that i thought limp trizkitt wasnt a hole in society.  the only reason i ever started liking music that used growling/screaming vocals was because of thier cover of george michaels 'faith'.

speaking of which, dont you hate how a songs words will imprint themselves on your brain if you hear it more than  3 or 4 times?  even a song that is so annoying it makes you want to strangle a nun... thats how i feel about celine dion.  they play her CDs on the PA system in hell.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 05:15:54 pm »

Apparently Limp Bixcuit is a direct descendant of Insane Clown Posse.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 05:48:52 pm »

I too want to hate Lady Gaga, but find myself just adoring her. 

Also, there is a terrible cover of the already terrible Toto song Africa which instantly causes me to change the station.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 05:53:42 pm »

Worst current pop song BY FAR:  a shitty song called "Sometimes Goodbye is a Second Chance" by some shitty band called Shinedown.  It is inane, trite, repetitive, nonsensical, and jam-packed with cliched music and lyrics and shitty pre-manufactured 'hooks'.  BLEAH.  I feel the need to purge just thinking about it.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 06:11:51 pm »

Not to labor it, but I was undecided really, until I saw this performance, and then yea... now I adore her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9urWIXePYY
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 07:51:22 pm »

I like One Week, I like Black Hole Sun, I like Rent (although I hated the thing for a while where you had to either love or hate Rent and weren't allowed to just like it). I suspect that a lot of this happens because I don't really listen to the radio all that much, so I get about as much of any given song as I want to get.

edit: Oh! I hate the works of Andrew Lloyd Weber and most of Les Miserables. This is not because of radio play but it is due to a similar phenomenon in middle school and early high school when every teenaged girl with an interest in musical theater thought she was the bestest soprano and needed to jam her voice up as high as possible and screech out her favorite Broadway songs. In that context Rent was a fuck*ng godsend because it swept through the teenage musical-nerd scene and gave them something else to sing which would not destroy young men's ears and souls and in which male singers could participate.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:55:34 pm by Ben-San »
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up