Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The popular song(s) you hate the most.  (Read 15869 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2009, 07:29:57 pm »

Julia Child was never a "professional chef" in that she never worked for a restaurant before she started teaching classes in Paris and working on her first cookbook. She still was hell of awesome.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 07:38:40 pm »

True, now that you mention it...

I don't know.  I love Alton a whole lot and he has influenced my cooking more than anybody other than my mother and grandmother, but he's never been a professional chef.  Didn't he go to cooking school just so he could make Good Eats? 

I think so. I'm pretty sure he worked in TV before and decided to make a fun cooking show which required attending cooking school.
Logged

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2009, 08:13:22 pm »

I think so. I'm pretty sure he worked in TV before and decided to make a fun cooking show which required attending cooking school.
Well, I assume that nearly all professional/celebrity chefs have attended cooking school at some point. That shouldn't be held against him. He obviously learned a ton and has put his education to excellent use.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 09:10:39 pm »

I think so. I'm pretty sure he worked in TV before and decided to make a fun cooking show which required attending cooking school.

That is it precisely.  He explained it on the Good Eats anniversary special.  Nobody had a cooking show like he wanted to see, so he went to culinary school precisely so he could make that show.  Sounds crazy, but obviously it worked out.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 09:58:55 pm »

I think specifically the dude was a DP on music videos and commericals for the bulk of his career.

Which... makes perfect sense.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2009, 01:14:46 am »

That is it precisely.  He explained it on the Good Eats anniversary special.  Nobody had a cooking show like he wanted to see, so he went to culinary school precisely so he could make that show.  Sounds crazy, but obviously it worked out.

how else can one become the bill nye of cooking?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2009, 03:25:24 pm »

The Twin Cities status as a rock city (or cities) begins and ends with two words: Motherfuck*ng. Prince.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2009, 04:38:47 pm »

The Twin Cities status as a rock city (or cities) begins and ends with two words: Motherfuck*ng. Prince.

Yeppers!  But tack on the suffixes Husker Du, the Replacements, Soul Asylum, the Jayhawks, Built to Spill, Semisonic, and Flogging Molly Boiled in Lead, and you've got yourself a THING.

(Now TurboNinja's gonna de-can me for including the Jayhawks or something.  Bleah.)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:50:39 pm by bluemoon72 »
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2009, 04:40:00 pm »

Am I mising something? I thought that Built to Spill was from Idaho, and Flogging Molly was from L.A.
Logged

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2009, 04:46:07 pm »

Am I mising something? I thought that Built to Spill was from Idaho, and Flogging Molly was from L.A.

Shit, I meant Boiled in Lead, not Flogging Molly.  Sorry about that!  (They were both in my rotation yesterday and I got confuzzled.)  You're right about Built to Spill; they play here a ton, and I got bad intel.  Thanks!  Good to know the truth.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2009, 04:52:22 pm »

Oh!  Oh!  And the Hold Steady started here too, as Lifter Puller.  (Not a big fan, so that's easily forgotten.)
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2009, 09:13:50 pm »

Yeppers!  But tack on the suffixes Husker Du, the Replacements, Soul Asylum, the Jayhawks, Built to Spill, Semisonic, and Flogging Molly Boiled in Lead, and you've got yourself a THING.

(Now TurboNinja's gonna de-can me for including the Jayhawks or something.  Bleah.)
I will de-can you in my mind for adding Soul Asylum into the same positive sentence as Husker Du. For shame!
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2009, 09:26:25 am »

I am here right now and am absolutely hating it, but OKC/ Norman has three of the best bands of the last 15 years.  Flaming Lips, Starlight Mints, Evangelicals.  There may not be a ton, but all of the bands who have any type of national appeal in like the indie scene or whatever are amazing.  Also, check out Student Film, pretty darn good.

It is all like throw everything at you psych pop.  Weird it comes from where it does, but so good.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2009, 06:15:13 pm »

I think I officially can't handle Robert Plant ever again thanks to this damn thing.

That was excellent, thanks.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2009, 11:08:10 pm »

David Guetta - Sexy Bitch (feat. Akon) is so terrible it makes me want to just smack everyone involved.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up