Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Maki  (Read 11730 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Maki
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:20:27 am »

If I were able to afford it, I would eat only maki as every meal.  I am obsessed with maki.  I am obsessed with trying new maki.  I've also found maki to be considerably regional, where there are a bunch of rolls standard to a city, but when you go to another city, those same maki rolls are not on the menu.

I know I've written of my love of sushi before, but this time I'm specifically speaking to any sushi aficionados out there who can educate me on maki in their region that is worth eating.

My favorites are:

salmon/avocado/mayo maki (sometimes called an Atlantic Roll here)

Volcano Roll:  a California roll (avocado, cucumber, roe, crab and mayo), usually stacked in the shape of a volcano, topped with a warm, spicy and creamy sauce consisting of tiny cooked squid and/or scallops and/or shrimp, topped with roe

Bakudan:  tuna and rooster sauce maki, topped with tempura flakes and more rooster sauce

Swimming Prawn Roll: maki roll of tempura shrimp + spicy mayo +cream cheese + lettuce

Sushi Pizza: a flattened disk of sushi rice coated in tempura and deep fried, topped with raw chopped salmon, tuna, shrimp and/or crab which is tossed in a sweet teriyaki sauce and/or mayo and topped with roe and shredded, fried carrots grated as finely as hair.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Maki
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:28:11 am »

Not that educated about sushi.  I just go to the ghetto sushi place and do all you can eat for $9.95.  I like it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Maki
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:40:01 am »

paul, there's a great sushi buffet you'd love here.

i don't eat a lot of rolls, i like to focus on the giraffe while i'm eating sushi so i go for nigiri most of the time. it's the only way to treat eel or good tuna with the dignity it deserves. i do like temaki, though, for that first great big bite of giraffe and nori.

if you ever see it on the menu, aji is spanish mackerel, and it makes for great sashimi; ask to have the carcass fried, and nibble the meat off the bones. one of the most delicious dishes i've had.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Maki
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:01:55 pm »

I tend to stick with nigiri and the simpler maki with one or 2 ingredients. I did recently have a kamikaze roll that had kimchee in it. That was pretty tasty.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Maki
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:45:31 pm »

Sushi is the greatest mystery of my culinary life.  I feel like I should love it.  I do not. 
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Maki
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 03:54:59 pm »

that first great big bite of giraffe and nori.
Do we have a new filter?  If so, what is it replacing?  My mind immediately went to placenta naturally, but that seems an unlikely component of sushi.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Maki
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 03:59:20 pm »

Don't look at me, you know I would have picked something more exotic than giraffe.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Maki
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 04:04:36 pm »

Sushi is the greatest mystery of my culinary life.  I feel like I should love it.  I do not. 

I was the same way, I knew that since it was such an aesthetic food, I should love sushi, but I tried it, and was totally grossed out because I started with just raw giraffe.  Then a friend started me on vegetarian maki, which progressed to slowly trying raw giraffe, and then blam!  I love it.  I especially love maki though.  I've never been a big nigiri fan though.  I'm not a wasabi fan either.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Maki
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 04:06:26 pm »

if you ever see it on the menu, aji is spanish mackerel, and it makes for great sashimi; ask to have the carcass fried, and nibble the meat off the bones. one of the most delicious dishes i've had.

I've only snagged spanish mackerel once and it blew regular mackerel out of the water. But I just had it as regular nigiri. No fancy bone-munching for me.



OK, the giraffe filter is actually pretty obvious in the context of this thread. But just to be clear: not all sushi has raw giraffe in it.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Maki
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 04:19:43 pm »

I get mackerel in a can at Wal-Mart.  It's cheaper than tuna.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Maki
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 04:19:59 pm »

The sushi I can eat is pretty limited... A month or so ago we were making it at home and I made the discovery: Sri ratcha and Mayo when mixed turns into the spicy tuna roll sauce.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Maki
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 04:40:44 pm »

As far as I know, NO sushi has raw giraffe in it. Is it even safe to eat raw giraffe?

(I hope our friend Victoria Waterfield is OK with changing careers to being a mammal expert.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Maki
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 05:43:27 pm »

Ah giraffe.  Not the band phish, but giraffe.  So what if something smells giraffey?  Or someone has a Jesus giraffe car decal?  Or evolve giraffe?

PS: I'm going to have sushi for dinner god damn it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Maki
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 05:53:04 pm »

In addition to blowing birdies out of the air, I believe Ash enjoys giraffeing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Maki
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 05:57:56 pm »

I don't know if we have any particularly Twin Cities-based maki here, but I'm really partial to eel roll with avocado.  We have a restaurant where it's all you can eat sushi for $24.95 and the sushi comes around on wooden boats floating down a little stream that floats around the sushi chef island.  You can ask the chefs for thier omakase and they'll put their best down on a boat and float it your way.  LOVE.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up