Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs You Love  (Read 30773 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 07:49:54 pm »

More links!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 08:26:20 pm »

Tainted Love.

Can't even hate it after that commercial a few years ago. The one set in a hospital? What was that an ad for, anyway?

Oh yeah. Levi's Jeans.

Usually, commercials make songs worse. Not in this case - it speaks to the universal awesomeness of the song.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 09:17:10 pm »

Like about a million other people, I would have never heard Nick Drake's Pink Moon if it weren't for this VW commercial.  It's a lovely tune, and I'm glad to have found this song, regardless of context.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 09:28:53 pm »

Hmm, this is always tough for me because I tend to find music I like and then listen to it until I'm completely sick of it. Then I can never remember the music that I used to love so dearly.

But a few songs that I can't seem to play out:

The Fall - Eat Y'self Fitter : Said to be John Peel's favorite song, and probably mine as well. Well, maybe a tie between this and Spoilt Victorian Child.

David Bowie - The Jean Genie : I always have to put this song on the jukebox at a bar I frequent in Baltimore.

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart : This song always brings a tear to my eye. It is also a fantastic song to drink whiskey to.
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 09:32:56 pm »

Like about a million other people, I would have never heard Nick Drake's Pink Moon if it weren't for this VW commercial.  It's a lovely tune, and I'm glad to have found this song, regardless of context.

Me too! And all three of his albums are pretty much perfect (though Bryter Layter maybe a bit more perfect than the others). They are also great albums for road trips up the coast.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 10:06:19 pm »

Darn right.  It's like "Sexual Healing" and "For What It's Worth", classics that MUST be sung along with.

Sexual Healing, if played loudly enough in the car, tends to trick me into thinking I have an amazing singing voice when I sing along and makes me wonder why I haven't recorded anything yet. Then I just turn down the volume.

There are few things on earth more gorgeous than Marvin Gaye's voice.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 10:14:40 pm »

The Fall - Eat Y'self Fitter : Said to be John Peel's favorite song, and probably mine as well. Well, maybe a tie between this and Spoilt Victorian Child.

Oh hells yes.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 10:35:30 pm »

One of you guys in the '04 CD exchange included a Neko Case version of Deep Red Bells. Good job on that one.

I too was exposed to Neko Case by that same CD.  It was Carlos I do believe.

(raises hand)  Yes I will take credit for that.

Yep!

A live version of Deep Red Bells.

Here is another live version recorded by yours truly in Park City Utah a few years ago.  I attended that show btw with none other than Miles from this board.

Yeah, that's an amazing song.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 10:49:22 pm »

Here is another live version recorded by yours truly in Park City Utah a few years ago.  I attended that show btw with none other than Miles from this board.

Yeah, that's an amazing song.

Hey, I remember that. Didn't you grab the setlist?

She also has a tremendous voice. I can't decide whether I like it best when she sings Neko Case type songs or The New Pornographers type songs.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 10:54:02 pm »

I didn't get the setlist
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 01:38:41 am »

There are few things on earth more gorgeous than Marvin Gaye's voice.

If there was a church that based its entire liturgy and theology around What's Going On, I would totally join that church.  "God Is Love" says more good things about Christianity than everything all TV preachers have ever said put together.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 01:46:02 am »

Paul do you know Eva Cassidy's recording of American Tune?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOSLgMZmp4
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 03:59:17 am »

Tainted Love.

Can't even hate it after that commercial a few years ago. The one set in a hospital? What was that an ad for, anyway?

Oh yeah. Levi's Jeans.

Usually, commercials make songs worse. Not in this case - it speaks to the universal awesomeness of the song.

That commercial was the first place I ever heard that song. I remember in high school we all decided that was basically the coolest commercial ever.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 06:38:57 am »

Paul do you know Eva Cassidy's recording of American Tune?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOSLgMZmp4

I had not heard that version before.  Have you heard Willie's version?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 08:23:31 am »

midlife crisis-faith no more
straight lines-silverchair
party hard-andrew wk
we want fun-andrew wk
come sail away-styx(fuck you, other peoples ears, im singing out like im gettig paid and getting laid.)
ape dos mil-glassjaw
california uber alles-dead kennedys
bales of cocaine-the reverend horton heat
ever loving fingers-os catalepticos
i believe i can fly-me first and the gimme gimmes
nothing compares 2 U-me first and the gimme gimmes


Tainted Love.

i dig mansons cover of that.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up