Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs You Love  (Read 30888 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2009, 01:23:54 am »

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:26:04 am by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2009, 02:54:27 am »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2009, 03:09:51 am »

Bon Iver:  Flume (recorded right at my hometown indie radio station) and Skinny Love.  These two songs make me want to kiss strangers and drink clouds and spin my flesh off in twirling rainbow ribbons.  Please to enjoy.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2009, 05:12:16 am »

Bon Iver:  Flume (recorded right at my hometown indie radio station) and Skinny Love.  These two songs make me want to kiss strangers and drink clouds and spin my flesh off in twirling rainbow ribbons.  Please to enjoy.

I really love those two songs as well. The whole album is really great too.

I was just reminded home much I like  Country Roads by John Denver. A friend of mine sang it at karaoke night last week and totally nailed it.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2009, 05:34:07 am »

trout i think you're lucky your friend has a good voice. i've never been in such pain as listening to country roads butchered via karaoke
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2009, 09:02:04 am »

Tonight I am majorly grooving on everything by the Carter Family, as well as some John Fahey and Roscoe Holcomb. So damn good.

As someone who romanticizes the old America to a ridiculous degree, it really freaks me out. Think about how damn big this country was before interstates and passenger planes and radio stations.

Especially Mr. Holcomb, he really makes you realize that American folk music has really deep roots, and that the banjo is not a normal western instrument. It is such a weird sounding thing.

The more religiously-themed Carter Family songs really make me lose it.
But also the melody from  "Black Jack David" is really fantastic. Like, so good.

We are doing an all-night radio broadcast, and I am about to suffer from an intense transition into hardcore punk and no-wave and stuff. We are playing 1 song from each year our station has existed.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2009, 07:21:03 pm »

You still learning the banjo, inev? 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2009, 07:42:40 pm »

You still learning the banjo, inev? 
I'm learning the mandolin and the mountain dulcimer, if "learning" equals "plucking away aimlessly and wishing I could download instructions into my brain 'Short Circuit' style".
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2009, 08:06:00 pm »

I'm learning the mandolin and the mountain dulcimer, if "learning" equals "plucking away aimlessly and wishing I could download instructions into my brain 'Short Circuit' style".



I know mandolin-fu.


I couldn't actually play a mandolin myself if my life literally depended on it.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2009, 08:20:02 pm »

I couldn't actually play a mandolin myself if my life literally depended on it.

Here's how lazy I am:  I thought it would be way easier to play mandolin than guitar because you can make more two-fingered chords.  Unfortunately, that is negated by tuning those tiny pairs of strings to each other!  (also the sheer lack of actual two-fingered chords; I think there's like five in all.  I WAS MISLED.)
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2009, 08:44:06 pm »

Bag of Hammers by Thao with the Get Down Stay Down

I've only seen her live once but she seems to get that this is her most popular song thus the live version last like 7 minutes which getting jammy. I'm seeing her again tonight. Rock.
Logged

Troy_Convers

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
  • GIN MAKES A MAN MEAN!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2009, 12:11:24 am »

Three of the myriad tunes currently on the Convers playlist:

Mario Biondi - Just The Way You Are. The ghost of Barry White lives...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCtedCEtNOY

China Moses - Mad About The Boy. If you've got the stones to cover a standard like this, you better come correct. She does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8_eVQBN63U

The Isley Brothers - Between The Sheets. The ultimate shagging song. Full stop. To quote a comment someone said on 'Tube:

Oh i like the way u receive meeeeh..oohoooo... I love the way u relieeeeeve meeh....coming sooo stroooong.....in between the sheets......man Ronald really knows how to talk the P A N T S offa woman. I tried it too.. the bitch kicked me inna nuts and told me to go fuck myself. I wish i could sing like this.
Amen brudda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glhdcJ7K3XM

And if you ain't guessed by now, I'm a soul boy at heart. And a jazz man at times.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:16:47 am by Troy_Convers »
Logged
EVERYONE BOOZE UP & RIOT!

Troy_Convers

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
  • GIN MAKES A MAN MEAN!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2009, 12:49:27 am »


There are few things on earth more gorgeous than Marvin Gaye's voice.

And then you bring Tammi Terrell into the mix, and you have one of the greatest soul-pop songs ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-UvQYAmbg

Cannot hear it too often. And let's put that into a timeframe. Ever.
Logged
EVERYONE BOOZE UP & RIOT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2009, 09:55:28 am »

That Tammi Terrell is hella cute.  I don't believe I've ever seen her before.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Troy_Convers

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
  • GIN MAKES A MAN MEAN!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2009, 10:05:57 am »

You've never heard of Tammi Terrell!?! Wow!

For your enlightenment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammi_Terrell
Logged
EVERYONE BOOZE UP & RIOT!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up