Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Beefy - Nov 02 2009  (Read 13211 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 09:06:18 pm »

"paradigm" is a pretty fancy word for what amounts to mob mentality

I dont think that mob mentality is always a bad thing. As a species it has behooved us to maintain a certain level of conformity, otherwise the population would disperse or react differently to threats and not remain cohesive enough to survive. And, as contrarians got weeded out of the population, the tendency toward conformity increased.

Our individualist lifestyle is a luxury that is the result of the fruits of our modern day civilization. This civilization allows us the privilege of being unique and special snowflakes and is the cumulative result of almost two million years of evolution pushing us toward more conformity. It is a bold experiment and I applaud it, but I am given pause when I see the civilizations with the greatest longevity and continous operation (China, for example) having an emphasis on subsumption of the self to the group. I further see how individualists tend to regress toward the mean of mob mentality on sites like /b/.

It may very well be that the urge to conform is ingrained too deeply to be done away with, and while it can be harmful taken to the extreme, so can extreme individualism -- also known as sociopathy.

Personally, I think a happy medium between the mobs torching the castle and Patrick Bateman on a sex-fueled killing spree is following a golden rule of acting as you wish to be treated and doing what your parents always told you were basic rules of politeness. The rest is culture-specific aftermarket garbage and is usually fueled by some sort of ideology or religion without an empirical basis for its claims. But the Golden Rule and not being a dick to strangers: I think that's more or less universal.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 09:08:46 pm »

I sure wish I could give you a can.

This again.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 10:31:46 pm »

I....I just can't believe the nearly unanimous hatred for the work of Tony Millionaire here. Before I logged in just now I can't remember ever talking to someone who didn't at least respect his art. And here are (almost) all of you just totally writing the guy off. He is an extremely talented and hilarious man.

I'm sorry, this just blows my mind.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 10:35:01 pm »

I....I just can't believe the nearly unanimous hatred for the work of Tony Millionaire here. Before I logged in just now I can't remember ever talking to someone who didn't at least respect his art. And here are (almost) all of you just totally writing the guy off. He is an extremely talented and hilarious man.

I'm sorry, this just blows my mind.

I quite like Tony Millionaire, but on his best day he's no Chris Onstad and this comic a long way from his best.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 10:55:49 pm »

I....I just can't believe the nearly unanimous hatred for the work of Tony Millionaire here. Before I logged in just now I can't remember ever talking to someone who didn't at least respect his art. And here are (almost) all of you just totally writing the guy off. He is an extremely talented and hilarious man.

I'm sorry, this just blows my mind.

you need to tak a chill pill, bill.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 11:00:43 pm »

"paradigm" is a pretty fancy word for what amounts to mob mentality

Your use of the word "mob mentality" assumes that it wasn't provoked.
Logged

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 11:15:55 pm »

I quite like Tony Millionaire, but on his best day he's no Chris Onstad and this comic a long way from his best.
OK. I'll grant you that this isn't his absolute best work. That's true. But when you say he's no Onstad I have to assume that you're referring to his writing and not his art. Onstad is ultimately funnier (I mean, the styles of humor are different, but Chris makes me actually laugh a lot more often), but Millionaire's art (especially for Sock Monkey) is just head and shoulders above. I love Onstad's art, but Millionaire is a master in that regard.

Reading through these comments again I realize that most people are probably judging him solely by this guest appearance. Going outside of myself I can see why this wouldn't be the best introduction to the man's work. I've been reading Maakies and Sock Monkey for years, so it has that familiarity for me. I know the subtleties in his style of humor. I would suggest that people not jump to conclusions. That's all. I just have to believe that given adequate exposure to both products, the Venn diagram for Achewood and Maakies fans would have a hell of a lot of overlap.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

Cioran

  • Guest
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 11:24:13 pm »

This Millionaire guest strip is like when Flipper started playing reeeeeeaaaaally slow and all the punks got pissed that their expectations weren't being met.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 12:05:44 am »

This Millionaire guest strip is like when Flipper started playing reeeeeeaaaaally slow and all the punks got pissed that their expectations weren't being met.

its more like having a substitute teacher.  thier best is still going to be like phoning it in because they just dont have what it takes.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 12:19:42 am »

I....I just can't believe the nearly unanimous hatred for the work of Tony Millionaire here. Before I logged in just now I can't remember ever talking to someone who didn't at least respect his art. And here are (almost) all of you just totally writing the guy off. He is an extremely talented and hilarious man.

I'm sorry, this just blows my mind.

I have never heard of him before now, but it seems a bunch of LOL BOOZE AND JOKES ABOUT BOOZE AND REFERENCES TO BOOZE LOL BOOZE ROCKS BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE to me. Hell, even Wikipedia has it under Category: Drinking Culture.

Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 12:35:24 am »

Don't be silly!  Looking at the archive, the last several were garbage related, also: Fart Joke!
Logged

Cioran

  • Guest
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2009, 12:35:48 am »

its more like having a substitute teacher.  thier best is still going to be like phoning it in because they just dont have what it takes.

It's more like having a hot substitute teacher who does things differently and gets all the prissy girls's panties in a bunch but the relaxed dudes appreciate her.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 01:17:27 am »

Don't be silly!  Looking at the archive, the last several were garbage related, also: Fart Joke!

So, Milk and Cheese, except without MERV GRIFFIN.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009, 01:37:37 am »

its more like having a substitute teacher.  thier best is still going to be like phoning it in because they just dont have what it takes.

Wow, a real Onstad devotee here.

Somebody's been drinking the kool-aid.

Hah, hah, I crack me up.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 01:45:28 am »

I got nothing against Tony Millionaire but this wasn't a very enjoyable or funny strip to read.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up