Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Beefy - Nov 02 2009  (Read 13204 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2009, 06:54:25 am »

I dig the art.  It's very Krazy Kat in its density and vibrance.  It's only fault is that it wasn't an Achewood comic, which I think is what most people are reacting to. 

The characters just don't act like the characters we've gotten to know over the past few years.  While "vodka colonic" is a quality punch line on its own, the comic appears to be one long setup for it, whereas Achewood's plots tend more to follow an internal consistency that serves the characters rather than the joke.

Also Uncle Gabby's ass would be more in danger of personal contact with cake than with vodka if Ray's drunken lust sent him that direction.

Am I overthinking this?  I've had a lot of Halloween candy today.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

herofix

  • Guest
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2009, 09:25:55 am »

While we are at it, I didn't find "Phillipe is standing on it." funny in any way, shape or form.

I found that funny as fuck.  Opinions are like the back genital.  Which is not a genital at all.

(Maybe a strip about a cute and dumb animal standing on an instruction manual is funnier for cat owners?)
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2009, 10:35:39 am »

Ray said, "We are going to make it stink!!!"  All in all, good comic.
Logged
ACHIEVE

R2DTrousers

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 53
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2009, 11:19:21 am »

I....I just can't believe the nearly unanimous hatred for the work of Tony Millionaire here.

And I really can't understand why people like the work of Tony Millionaire. Sure, he can come up with a reasonable approximation of that 60's esque freaky freakout Crumboid cartoon style, with a smidgeon of Steam Boat Willy. But the actual content of his cartoons is juvenile, uninspired, unfunny drivel. I scanned through maakies to check and it's mostly lame not-funny-at-all jokes, often trading on the inherent hilariousness* of puke, shite, and drinking lots of alcohol.

The guest strip is not in the slightest bit funny and doesnt evoke the achewood characters, although as I said the car looks nice.

In summary, it's not enough for me that his cartoon is nicely drawn.


*NB: these things are not inherently hilarious.

(hey, I got ever-so-slightly OTT here didn't I? Sorry for being so serious.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 12:17:50 pm by R2DTrousers »
Logged
Computer science uses electric machines (computers for example). A computer scientist will need math, science, and know-how to make and use computers.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2009, 11:22:51 am »

All of the above. Fuck this zero-effort shit. Go work as a character designer for t-shirts, Tony Millionaire, leave narratives alone.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:30:29 am by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2009, 01:47:29 pm »

This Tony Millionaire guy sure is good at getting a messageboard thread riled up.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2009, 01:48:59 pm »

whoa.  i didnt realize how fan-girl-ish that seems...

Not really. I've just been waiting to use that joke since you signed up, and this was the first opportunity.

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

R2DTrousers

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 53
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2009, 02:07:50 pm »

This Tony Millionaire guy sure is good at getting a messageboard thread riled up.

YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!
Logged
Computer science uses electric machines (computers for example). A computer scientist will need math, science, and know-how to make and use computers.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2009, 02:21:03 pm »

Not really. I've just been waiting to use that joke since you signed up, and this was the first opportunity.

Wow...a six-month incubation period for a joke.  And he's worth it.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2009, 03:24:34 pm »

Wow...a six-month incubation period for a joke.  And he's worth it.

Six months?

Okay, I've been waiting to use it since I noticed he (he?) signed up. Which was, like, 2 weeks ago.

Less impressive, but truer.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2009, 05:52:44 pm »

Not really. I've just been waiting to use that joke since you signed up, and this was the first opportunity.

im glad i could give you the opportunity to use it.  i hate having a funny thing burning a hole in my brain because i dont have the appropriate time/place to employ it.  things tend to get forgotten that way...

And he's worth it.

aw shucks... [[blush]]

Six months?

Okay, I've been waiting to use it since I noticed he (he?) signed up. Which was, like, 2 weeks ago.

Less impressive, but truer.

im finally making a name for myself here.... for good or for ill.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2009, 08:15:14 pm »

also, i feel like I have seen this strip before.

like, has he previously done a Maakies or something based on the idea of Beer Goggles being actual goggles with beers on them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2009, 08:37:33 pm »

like, has he previously done a Maakies or something based on the idea of Beer Goggles being actual goggles with beers on them.

He's done many strips where "beer goggles being actual goggles with beers on them" is the main joke.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2009, 07:18:25 pm »

As someone who was into Tony Millionaire long before Achewood existed, it's pretty fancy to see them both land in one place.

Honestly though, the artwork looks like Millionaire drew the whole thing in a hastey and/or drunken state compaired to much of the other stuff he does.   

For those who don't know Maakies - in their hey day, there were even some shorts on SNL and a brief show that got cancelled (I think).

Also:  Onstand and Millionaire pt 1 and pt 2.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 03:36:29 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

R2DTrousers

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 53
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2009, 10:29:21 am »

I went back and looked through the strips on maakies.com, and now I hate this Millionaire blighter much less. But I still dont like this guest strip.
Logged
Computer science uses electric machines (computers for example). A computer scientist will need math, science, and know-how to make and use computers.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up