It's weird, because he's not verbally abusive to me whatsoever...he's very respectful of me, even when I succumb to a rare fit of rage, fly off the handle, and veer toward being verbally abusive toward him. He just refuses to entertain any other needs or wants beyond his own. So I guess you could say in his extreme self-centeredness, he's unintentionally emotionally abusive. I'm a really easy-going person, who believes in letting people be themselves, and that people shouldn't try to "change" other people, so I've always just accepted and loved him how he is and appreciated his other good qualities rather than stewing over the feeling of being controlled, and becoming a doormat. Over the years I've thought about leaving many, many times; however, I've always come to the conclusion that marriage takes work on both people's parts, and there's no such thing as perfection, and thus I've been relatively content.
It's no coincidence that when I started being friends with greenkoolayd a couple of months back is when I started re-questioning what the hell I'm doing in my marriage. Not because I want to leave my husband and run away with green, but because by knowing him I've been re-exposed to so many great qualities that I realized I have really been fooling myself about not needing in my life...qualities such as a giving spirit, interest in other people, and a romantic heart. I hope to find someone with some of those qualities someday as a life partner, someone who will also want what I have to give, which is an unending well of love, compassion, and zest for life. And if I never do find that person, well, at least I'm opening myself up to the world again and taking care of myself.
The end. (I know, TL/DR, right?)
Edited to add: Good gracious, I'm probably embarrassing the hell out of greenkoolayd. I'm sorry if I did, Tones!