Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85604 times)

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 02:13:35 am »

We have pickles in America.  None of these ingredients are exclusive to Cuba.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 02:22:38 am »

I present two menus, one from Chicago and one from Seattle.

http://cafecitochicago.com/taxonomy/term/2

http://www.lacasadelmojito.com/food.html

You are closer to Cuba, though, than either place, so I won't press it any further.

Whatever you call it, it is tasty. I don't know if I've ever seen one in Salt Lake.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 02:37:19 am »

I mean, what would be an exclusive ingredient to Cuba. I do not get the problem here.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2009, 02:50:13 am »

Doesn't it have roasted pork too?
Yes. A Cuban that doesn't have this is not a Cuban.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2009, 03:36:00 am »

I'll have to try again, maybe it had roast pork and I didn't notice. It might have got lost among all the other ingredients.

There's no problem really I just see this happening all the time.  I blame the advent of the Food Network or something that touts something as exotic when it's really not. 

I always have to make the same joke, what's the difference between a  grilled ham and roast pork sandwich and a cuban sandwich?  Oh about $3

What's the difference between a doughnut and a beignet?  etc...

The inference here is that because it's exotic it's somehow more valuable.

I won't begrudge Cuba their sandwich anymore though.  It is indeed tasty. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2009, 04:56:25 am »

the secret to a great cuban sandwich is in the bread, that awesome cuban bread baked with a palm frond.

it's the only way i can eat ham.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2009, 05:24:14 am »

Not the ones I've had.  sliced ham, a white cheese on a grilled bread.

Good god, what kind of places do you frequent that would try to flim-flam you with this travesty?  I cry FOUL, good sir.  That which you described does not even count as a mockery of a Cuban sandwich. 
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 06:05:01 am »

Now I am fantasizing about the brazilian steak sandwiches I got in Berkeley. They took like 15 minutes and the guy felt bad, so he gave us mango smoothies.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 06:13:34 am »

Good god, what kind of places do you frequent that would try to flim-flam you with this travesty?  I cry FOUL, good sir.  That which you described does not even count as a mockery of a Cuban sandwich. 

What, I ask is wrong with the sandwich I described?  More importantly, how does it differ from the cuban other than the possible omission of the roast pork?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 07:30:13 am »

roast pork, mustard, pickles, cuban bread - oh and it's supposed to be swiss cheese.

what you described sounds like a lazy sunday snack
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2009, 02:35:35 pm »

There's no problem really I just see this happening all the time.  I blame the advent of the Food Network or something that touts something as exotic when it's really not. 

Arguments about the true nature of the Cuban sandwich aside, this is kind of true.  There was an amateur cooking competition show on Food Network a while back, Ultimate Recipe Showdown I think it was called.  And in the roast chicken episode, snotty-ass Andrew Knowlton was raving about this woman's Peruvian-style roast chicken with fried yuca.  "Really original," he said.  And I shouted at the TV, "I could take you to a half-dozen places within 30 minutes drive of here that serve the same thing!!"  Not that Peruvian chicken isn't awesome, because it is.  But just because YOU haven't had it before doesn't make it "original."

Speaking of exotic-sounding sandwiches, I'd like a banh mi right about now.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 03:06:07 pm »

That's pretty funny. I guess there is a way in which "original" can mean "the first person to think of entering this kind of thing in a recipe competition."

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 04:17:32 pm »

What, I ask is wrong with the sandwich I described?
Nothing except the likelihood that you were charged for something you weren't getting.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 04:22:29 pm »

What, I ask is wrong with the sandwich I described?  More importantly, how does it differ from the cuban other than the possible omission of the roast pork?

How does a Reuben differ from a corned beef sandwich other than from the addition of kraut and thousand island dressing?

How does a glass of tomato juice differ from a bloody mary other than from the addition of hella vodak?

How do I differ from the rest of you schmoes other than from the addition gargantuan quantities of industrial strength awesome?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2009, 04:25:06 pm »

sheesh august is it that time of the year again when you start to turn into cowboy barney stinson man i just am NOT prepared for that again
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 41   Go Up