Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85542 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #195 on: July 10, 2010, 02:02:02 am »

I like to wear a little milk when I'm eating a sammich.

I eat almost entirely vegan, so that rules out most of the good-ass sandwiches.

I've made barbecued seitan sandwiches twice in the last week or so--including for my mom's birthday. It is kind of a pain, especially since I was making the seitan, but very tasty.

Basically the seitan is fried once, then soaked in barbecue sauce, then fried again.  Then put on a hoagie-type bun with veganaise, lettuce, and more barbecue sauce.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:09:46 am by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #196 on: July 12, 2010, 03:36:54 pm »

I am seriously jonesing for a Philly cheesesteak.  It sucks because I am trying to bring lunch from home all this week, both to save money and to use up food we have in the house.  But, dammit.  Cheesesteak.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #197 on: July 12, 2010, 07:36:05 pm »

I think I'm going to go make a grilled cheese sandwich RIGHT NOW, all knucklehead-days style, with gooey processed American cheese and pasty store-bought honey wheat bread and MARGARINE instead of butter, the kind that comes in a plastic tub.

And it's gonna be GRELICIOUS

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Edit: It went like this:

Done yet? Nope. Done yet? Nope. Done yet? Nope. Sure, son, I'd be glad to get you some juice. [Smoke starts pouring from the frying pan] FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Oh, yeah. That's a classic.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:01:38 pm by jay-ell »
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2010, 08:43:17 pm »

Were you using a classing grill?  I have one that is about 90 years old with no edges to catch the goo, so unattended the cheese actually evacuates the sandwich and gushes all over the counter.  I can end up with a smoking, blackish wafer of bread with trace essences of cheese if I leave the thing unattended.

Also, Jorge, seitan is something I used to really enjoy in my vegan days, but I never tried it in a sandwich.  Does the stuff you make have that stringy chicken-like texture?  Also good for a vegan sammich - hot grilled portabello with hella baba ganoush between a hearty multi grain bread, with sun-dried tomatoes diced and mix with veganaise all up in there and some crisp lettuce to bring it home.  I'd throw on some goat cheese being a non-vegan, but it's good without from what I recall of my vegan days.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2010, 08:54:09 pm »

I have a panini press (no toaster oven, but a panini press...) and I sometimes forget my sandwich, only to find two pieces of bread, surrounded by melted cheese.

also if I put too much mustard/mayo, the meat slides right out of the sandwich and onto the griddle part as well.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2010, 08:59:18 pm »

Were you using a classing grill?  I have one that is about 90 years old with no edges to catch the goo, so unattended the cheese actually evacuates the sandwich and gushes all over the counter.  I can end up with a smoking, blackish wafer of bread with trace essences of cheese if I leave the thing unattended.


Nah, just a regular fry pan. I do have a ceramic stove that is completely nuclear, I only had the thing set to five and it went from "the butter's just starting to melt" to "charcoal-coated" in the amount of time it took me to re-fill my son's Buzz Lightyear cup with apple juice. I've been here 10 months and I'm still not quite used to it.

I really miss my old range; when we re-model the kitchen in 10 years (that's the soonest I can imagine being able to afford it) I really want to have gas again. Electric just doesn't feel right to me, even though it's what I grew up with -- I like the nuance of cooking with a flame.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2010, 09:00:16 pm »

okay the trick to a really good pulled pork sandwich is to sauce the pork in a bowl and then put a giant knot of sauced pork on the bun, with an extra dash of sauce between that pork bundle and a huge scoop of cole slaw. add pickles if you want.

to make the pork just get a bottle of mojo sauce and a pork shoulder and crock-pot that bastard with the whole bottle for like six hours.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2010, 11:50:46 pm »

Also, Jorge, seitan is something I used to really enjoy in my vegan days, but I never tried it in a sandwich.  Does the stuff you make have that stringy chicken-like texture?  Also good for a vegan sammich - hot grilled portabello with hella baba ganoush between a hearty multi grain bread, with sun-dried tomatoes diced and mix with veganaise all up in there and some crisp lettuce to bring it home.  I'd throw on some goat cheese being a non-vegan, but it's good without from what I recall of my vegan days.
The portabello sounds good (and easy). I will look into that.

The seitan recipe comes out more steaky than chicken-like.

In fact, today I made "cheese steak" sandwiches. The recipe was here http://www.mercyforanimals.org/vegkit08web.pdf (page 23)
Except that I used Daiya cheese, which is tapioca-based. The soy cheese is kind of nasty.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #203 on: July 13, 2010, 12:44:06 am »

okay the trick to a really good pulled pork sandwich is to sauce the pork in a bowl and then put a giant knot of sauced pork on the bun, with an extra dash of sauce between that pork bundle and a huge scoop of cole slaw. add pickles if you want.

to make the pork just get a bottle of mojo sauce and a pork shoulder and crock-pot that bastard with the whole bottle for like six hours.

I just got hell of big compliments today on my pork shoulder.  I cooked three boston butts for one our paralegals for a birthday party.  14 hours over charcoal and hickory, baby!  Brined the night before.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2010, 01:27:55 am »

August gets a can for pork done right.

Amen.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2010, 01:57:36 am »

well sure yeah if you're gonna smoke pork then yup you done it right, the not-even-a-recipe i recapped in a sentence is the easy way out for when you're planning to spend the day on the town
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2010, 02:42:01 am »

Dammit I wish I had any space outside for a grill. Thems the cost of city living I guess.

Slow cooker needs to be my next cooking-related purchase. I used to have one, but I think I lost it in a breakup.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2010, 05:22:13 pm »

Grill on the roof?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2010, 06:37:11 pm »

OK, enough with these sandwiches that need to be grilled and fried and panini'd and brined the night before. Anyone can make a good ass sandwich that way. I need a sandwich that I can put in a plastic bag and it won't make me want to cry when I eat it two hours later. Who's up for that challenge?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2010, 07:12:12 pm »

Not so much a recipe as a tip from AB -- If sogginess is a problem, use an oil-based spread (ie mayo, butter/margarine).  This protects the bread from the moisture in the stuffings.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41   Go Up