Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85865 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #330 on: August 10, 2011, 07:10:20 pm »

So I did end up at the lunch place I was talking about across town on Tuesday.  It's a shawarma place and just as I pulled up, the place looked deserted and I thought "oh no! Are they closed for Ramadan?"  Thankfully no.  I sort of wanted the shawarma to be not as good as I remembered, that way I would feel less inclined to make such a trip, but sadly it was still the best lunch around.  Tender, moist chicken breast, sauce prefect, veggies fresh, little home made pickles...  Damn I wish it wasn't so good.   The only other shawarma place in the city is walking distance from my place, and it's good... just not great.  Not "drive an hour just to eat it" great.  Damn I wish that shawarma wasn't so good.

It was a little weird eating at a shawarma place during Ramadan (in my mind, not because of anything the staff did).  I know that pretty much all of the staff are practicing muslims, and that means they're fasting while preparing and serving food.  To me, tasting food while making it is a basic precept of good cookery most times, but in this case, they've been making it for years, so what I was served was pretty much flawless.  I was thinking that really, in many cases the cooking staff doesn't actually eat the food they prepare regardless of circumstance (although they might taste it to adjust seasoning).  Still though, I was glad to see a sign indicating they close early during Ramadan.  For me it would be torture to be around such fantastic food and not be able to eat it, and then to have to wait even longer to get to where your family is feasting it up.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #331 on: August 15, 2011, 03:58:43 am »

my lady and I spend a lot of time talking about how we love getting high, and don't know where to get pot from.

I missed this first time around. This is kind of mind-blowing to me. You're in your early to mid 20s, right? Live in a pretty decent town, hang out with musicians and the like, and you can't find weed?

Anyway, this week I am going to eat a sandwich every day for lunch. At least two of the days will be this sandwich place near work I don't go to nearly often enough. And tomorrow after work I'm going to find some Dave's Killer Bread and fixins. Sandwich week.

Also, yesterday I had a meatloaf sandwich at my favorite little diner nearby and it was really good. It had this really good chili sauce.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #332 on: August 15, 2011, 04:23:36 pm »

Current favorite addition to a sandwich: fresh, ripe avocado slices.  Ideally paired with lettuce and tomato on grilled salmon, but also welcome on any other form of seafood or chicken.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #333 on: August 16, 2011, 12:03:10 am »

Dave's murderous bread!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #334 on: August 16, 2011, 12:18:24 am »

I really want to try that Dave's bread.  I don't think they have it here.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #335 on: August 16, 2011, 12:22:02 am »

Come to Portland. I have a spare room and you won't pay for a drink the whole time. Plus you can play the Les Paul + Marshall combo. (Open offer to all y'all.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #336 on: August 16, 2011, 01:41:55 am »

I really want to try that Dave's bread.  I don't think they have it here.

Apparently you can't get it east of the Intermountain West. I'd invite you back to Utah but you'd be crazy to pass up on that Portland invitation. Plus it's, you know, Utah.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #337 on: August 16, 2011, 08:34:18 am »

Seriously - any of you feel like traveling, you'd just be paying for gas or a plane ticket.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #338 on: August 16, 2011, 11:01:26 am »

Seriously - any of you feel like traveling, you'd just be paying for gas or a plane ticket.

if i could afford it, and i was done with school(one more week), i totally would take you up.  im interested in scouting places of habitation and doing CoL research and shit.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #339 on: August 16, 2011, 01:33:40 pm »

Come to Portland. I have a spare room and you won't pay for a drink the whole time. Plus you can play the Les Paul + Marshall combo. (Open offer to all y'all.)

I would love to assault your Les Paul while eating a killer sandwich.

Apparently you can't get it east of the Intermountain West. I'd invite you back to Utah but you'd be crazy to pass up on that Portland invitation. Plus it's, you know, Utah.

As you know, Utah is on the way to Portland, if traveling by car.  So I take it you have the Dave's bread in your area?  Do you also have a Les Paul and a Marshall?

If the good lord is willing I will be heading that way next June.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #340 on: August 16, 2011, 03:38:32 pm »

Someday we're going to do this, but not this year. The kids make it tough, as does our complete lack of money for anything discretionary.

We keep saying that, some year, we're going to do PAX in Seattle, which would put us within day-trip distance to Portland, but that'll likely be a while. Not 'til the kids are old enough to go with us, and probably a few years after that, since we'll probably let them cut their teeth on PAX East in Boston first.

But when we go, we'll take a whole week (or more) and visit Pedro's cousins in Utah, maybe go to Vegas (I've never been), etc. No reason not to stop by Portland for a night or two. That would be rad.

'Til then, though, Nabu, you're just going to have to come East.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #341 on: August 16, 2011, 05:19:53 pm »

That's going to happen, but it's not looking good this year for upheaval-related reasons.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #342 on: August 16, 2011, 07:22:20 pm »

I've been eating a lot of turkey sandwiches this week.  I roasted a turkey.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #343 on: August 16, 2011, 07:29:27 pm »

I would love to assault your Les Paul while eating a killer sandwich.

Images of Paul using a sandwich as some horrible guitar pick were instantly evoked by this post.  Hella mayo/grainy mustard smeared on the guitar, bits of shredded lettuce and mangled tomato and meat bits hanging off the strings.  Paul's mouth half open with a partially chewed bite falling out, a demonic expression in his eyes.  Also the look I imagine on Nabu's face is not good- he's horrified and enraged, but also frozen with shock.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:40:47 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #344 on: August 16, 2011, 07:32:02 pm »

I had that look just from reading your post.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41   Go Up