Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85415 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #405 on: February 13, 2012, 04:51:56 pm »

C'mon, there's gotta be some caribou that wander past at least once a year, right?  Plus mushroom-addled unicyclists when you're at home.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #406 on: February 15, 2012, 05:11:48 am »

C'mon, there's gotta be some caribou that wander past at least once a year, right?  Plus mushroom-addled unicyclists when you're at home.

Buncha whiners ruined it for us wanting to kill those caribou.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #407 on: February 15, 2012, 04:13:51 pm »

The 100 mile diet encourages eating food available within a 100 mile radius, not things that are just naturally occuring within that radius!  Cows, hogs and eggs are all farmed within that radius.  I'm interested in it from a ecological and grow-local persepective.  I never took on the challenge, but for the past two years I've grown enough potoatoes to last me almost all year.  It's hard to grow food for the whole year unless you like canned goods though, and I'm so not a fan of canned food and have no interest or time to can my own food.

On a more related topic, does anyone here get sick of sandwiches?  I hit a wall every once and a while and don't want to eat sandwiches at all.  I've recently hit that wall, so I'm off sandwiches for a while.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #408 on: February 15, 2012, 04:21:03 pm »

On a more related topic, does anyone here get sick of sandwiches?  I hit a wall every once and a while and don't want to eat sandwiches at all.  I've recently hit that wall, so I'm off sandwiches for a while.

I hate eating sandwiches at home. I feel like I eat them at work for lunch all the time so whenever I have one at home it just feels redundant and wrong.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #409 on: February 15, 2012, 04:48:39 pm »

I have been sick of sandwiches for years.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #410 on: February 15, 2012, 05:38:29 pm »

I tend to struggle with making lunches to eat when not eating sandwiches, which unfortunatly leads to visits to the drive thru, and I want to avoid that as much as possible.

Here's some ideas I've come up with for non-sandwich lunches to avoid boredom:

carrots and celary and pita squares with hummus
salads - especially with nuts and other things added
Pitas stuffed with things
Left-overs

Any other suggestions?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #411 on: February 16, 2012, 02:17:18 am »

I bring leftovers a lot. Tonight my plan is to make a big stir-fry and freeze little sandwich-sized portions for future lunches.

My coworkers might not love me on the days I eat black beans and rice for lunch. But that shit is delicious. I finally mastered my recipe, increasing my number of "can easily cook without recipe or planning" dishes to... two. My Mexican friend told me that his mom's secret is to add a tbsp of soy sauce. It salts the beans, and also gives them a pleasant savory flavor.
Maybe I should buy some epazote so I can eat it more often without getting banned from sleeping indoors.

Word of the day: Carminative. A carminative reduces the musical qualities of foods like beans.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #412 on: February 16, 2012, 02:58:55 am »

The 100 mile diet encourages eating food available within a 100 mile radius, not things that are just naturally occuring within that radius!  Cows, hogs and eggs are all farmed within that radius.

I'm pretty sure they're not down with stuff that gets shipped in, though - and nothing grows here.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #413 on: February 16, 2012, 06:44:45 am »

Actually, my sis had a hand in creating a version of the Canada's Food Guide that included options from the traditional Inuit diet, and it is possible.  There was a lot of weird little plant bits that I'd never heard of.  Dried green mossy bits.  Raw whale blubber was a thing...  Possible and desirable are two different things.  It was pretty neat to see a little picture of three cubes labeled "whale blubber" all drawn up in that standardized style the government uses for visual depictions, as a simple line drawing in black and white, with and equals sign and an explanation of it's equivalent on the food pyramid.  This version doesn't include the blubber, but does have some traditional diet things like sea weed, dandelion greens, berries, dried fruit, big wild game and ptarmigan.  It's come a long way from back when I was a kid.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #414 on: February 16, 2012, 08:47:32 am »

I think in my country they are more cool with people eating wildlife in this biome if they are from here naturally, if you are picking up what I am laying down. I would certainly be willing to try it if it were an option. Right now, though, there is too much snow outside to get to foodstuffs in any way I know how to practice.

I do try to eat local when I am back home. It costs more but it is worth it to me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #415 on: February 16, 2012, 03:09:43 pm »

One of the nice things about living in my part of the country is that local food is usually also cheaper. We eat a lot of pork. Harris Teeter (our regional grocery chain) is really good about sourcing produce locally when it's in season, which is more convenient than going to the farmer's market.

And of course I am taking a stab at growing some of my own again this year. I had to order more carrot and snap pea seeds because a penis got into my shed and gnawed through the plastic baggie I had last year's leftovers in. Those are actually going in the ground in about 2 weeks.

Oh! Also I am sprouting mung beans in my kitchen. I have been watching the process with my kids and giving them lessons in Science. It's amazing how fast they grow.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #416 on: February 16, 2012, 04:42:43 pm »

I had to order more carrot and snap pea seeds because a c*ck got into my shed and gnawed through the plastic baggie I had last year's leftovers in.

I've heard you really have to keep an eye on them things, but they aren't as bad as pu$$y dentata.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #417 on: February 16, 2012, 05:31:49 pm »

pu$$y dentata.

that is my most frightening thought.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #418 on: February 16, 2012, 05:40:33 pm »

Is pu$$y dentata barbed?
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #419 on: February 16, 2012, 05:57:07 pm »

Is pu$$y dentata barbed?

It better be if you want to take it giraffeing.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41   Go Up