That is some Science. Thanks for bringin' it.
I would really just like to get to the point where I can wear a swimsuit without being embarrassed again. (This isn't as hard as it sounds; my standards are low.) I carry my weight in my stomach, and I have long thin legs and skinny little bird arms. (Not to be braggy about my legs, but they are without a doubt my best feature.) So most of the time I can dress myself to conceal the spare tire, but in a swimsuit there's just no hope.
I am reasonably fit when it comes to strength -- I can lift and carry my 70-lb daughter if she cooperates -- but I also inherited my dad's unfortunate genetic characteristic of not gaining a lot of muscle mass, even from lifting weights. "Sinewy," is what I'd call it. When I took two consecutive semesters of strength training for my PE credits in college, I was in pretty good condition and could lift a lot more than you'd expect based on my size. I think I weighed 120 and I could bench 90 and squat 200, or something like that. Maybe that's not impressive, but it was a marked improvement from where I started. The thing is, my arms and legs never got any bigger and I never gained weight from working out.
So, JayDub the Science Guy, does this mean that I'm doomed in terms of trying to lose fat by gaining muscle? Or is it that my muscles, such as they are, are more densely packed and will burn more energy regardless of their actual size and weight?