Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85781 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #480 on: May 23, 2012, 07:01:35 pm »

I like American cheese on my ham and cheese, because it is my Childhood Sandwich. Normally I go for something more exciting. But I only like White American Cheese from the deli counter, not Kraft cheese.

Today as a post-birthday treat I got a Torta from my favorite Mexican place. They keep getting more and more fancy, and I do not know how I feel about that.

Yesterday my birthday dinner was a spicy tuna melt with pickles on an onion roll. Delicious.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #481 on: May 23, 2012, 07:33:27 pm »


Question:  when people say American Cheese, do they mean processed cheese slices, like Kraft Singles? 


Yes, pretty much. You can get it from a deli here in the states, but...why? It's crappy processed goo.

Ash, when I buy lunch meat, I buy lunch meat. I will make the odd sandwich out of leftovers if I have them around, but I love a good sandwich and I don't cook ham very often so I will usually get deli stuff. Plus, I prefer wisp-thin slices piled high, and I just don't have the equipment to achieve that here at home.

Lately I have been eating a lot of bologna. Chaos Girl loves it and it's cheap as the day is long, I just slap it on some honey wheat with a schmear of mayo and we're set. It's not elegant, but it works.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #482 on: May 23, 2012, 08:36:22 pm »

To balance things out, today I had a sandwich made of five-spice chicken (left over from dinner) with avocado, nice ripe tomato and organic spring-mix greens on whole wheat with mayo.

See, she gets it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #483 on: May 23, 2012, 10:36:23 pm »

Processed lunch meats are teh gross. Processed cheeze are teh gross.

I prefer left overs like chicken, roast, steak, ham etc. most times prepared sliced lunch meats are typically not my thing.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #484 on: May 24, 2012, 05:16:59 pm »

When I was poor I ate a lot of loaf.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #485 on: May 24, 2012, 07:32:25 pm »

As a child, I had a really confusing conversation with Sister McSweeny once about mock chicken when I forgot to bring my lunch to school.  She asked me what I usually ate (so that she could go to the convent, which was next door, to make me something), I said a "mock chicken sandwich" and she had never heard of it.  Now I hate lunch meat all together, but that was the penultimate processed sandwich loaf if there ever was one.  

Today I had the same sandwich as yesterday.  It wasn't as good.  I get bored with food so easily.  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:36:39 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #486 on: May 24, 2012, 10:32:11 pm »

Mel's post sent me off on a hyperlink quest to identify something I saw on grocery store shelves a while back: Potted Meat Food Product.  Anything with such vague descriptors in the name is suspect (see also: Velveeta - Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product).  I knew it would end in horror, and was not disappointed.  There are 3 purveyors of potted meat, each with their own recipe

Armour Star: Mechanically separated chicken, beef tripe, water, salt (plus additives)

Hormel: Beef tripe, mechanically separated chicken, beef hearts, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, meat broth, salt (plus additives)

Libby's: Mechanically separated chicken, pork skin, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, salt (plus additives)

"partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue" - there's a phrase worth more than the substance it describes...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #487 on: May 24, 2012, 10:40:35 pm »

Potted Meat is cat food.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #488 on: May 24, 2012, 11:42:25 pm »

I wish I could have found a link to a mock chicken that looked more like the mock chicken of my childhood.  It was a square loaf with a mysterious orange rind.  Back then, I thought it was just a type of chicken.  Certainly as a child, I didn't know the meaning of the world "mock" apart from it being a term to describe certain turtle necks and lunch meats.  Sister McSweeney was sweet enough to not point out I was eating poor people food.  Most of my classmates were very affluent and were certainly eating real meat.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #489 on: May 25, 2012, 12:19:46 am »

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #490 on: May 25, 2012, 12:53:14 am »

Today I went to my favorite BBQ place and tried the barbequed turkey breast. Not my favorite so far.

the cashier there is one of my customers, and she always gives me the employee discount. This time she threw in HALF A RACK OF RIBS FOR FREE in case I didn't like the turkey. One day I am going to take that girl and her boyfriend out and get them drunk.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #491 on: May 25, 2012, 03:04:28 am »

Man, potted meat...even dicing that up, frying it and rolling it into an omelet smothered with tabasco can't save that for me.

Vienna sausages or spam, sure! But potted meat is straight out.

Dice? Fry? You can dice potted meat. You certainly can't fry it. It just turns to liquid. You're only option with that shit is spread it on a slice of white bread and slather enough mayo on it to cover the taste.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #492 on: May 25, 2012, 04:35:27 am »

This is the first I've ever heard of mock chicken. My favorite is that pork is listed as the first ingredient. Why not just call it pork?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #493 on: May 25, 2012, 12:02:52 pm »

re: mock chicken: maybe thats what canada calls "chicken roll"?



i think a more apt term would be "chicken bologna", but thats just me.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #494 on: May 25, 2012, 12:43:48 pm »

No, we have chicken loaf and chicken bologna here.  Mock chicken is distinctly different, or at least it was to my little kid palate.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 41   Go Up