Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85552 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #495 on: June 20, 2012, 05:52:53 am »

When making banh mi, I sometimes put a small amount of potted meat into the mayo/sriracha mixture and try not to think too hard about it.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #496 on: June 20, 2012, 10:36:29 am »

Burger for breakfast. Burger+sunny up egg+pepper jelly+thick bacon and once juicy ass slice of tomato. Welcome to America, my friend.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #497 on: June 20, 2012, 11:28:54 am »

I'm going to sleep!

The only sandwich I have eaten in months, not very regularly- Wheat bread, tomato, onion, avocado, spicy mustard, pickle, sprouts.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #498 on: June 20, 2012, 12:16:07 pm »

Lunch today (and for the next few days) is the what is left in my fridge sandwich:
Home made bread (not quite risen properly), butter lettuce, lots of mustard. Things may get more exciting if the avocados I bought half a week ago decide to ripen any time soon.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #499 on: June 20, 2012, 12:30:43 pm »

The only sandwich I have eaten in months, not very regularly- Wheat bread, tomato, onion, avocado, spicy mustard, pickle, sprouts.

If I had a sandwich shop I would call this the "vegan tragedy."

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #500 on: June 20, 2012, 03:52:59 pm »

I was going to mention that Keith's sandwich recipe is very similar to one I like, but that it's missing the slice of cream cheese.   But then that wouldn't be vegan. 
I could never be vegan.  Not being able to eat dairy is one thing that keeps me from the Paleo diet (also beer is forbidden, and that is just a ridiculous omission).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #501 on: June 20, 2012, 04:05:01 pm »

If I had a sandwich shop I would call this the "vegan tragedy."



If I believed in such things I would say this is a thousand can post.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #502 on: June 20, 2012, 04:14:37 pm »

I am still turned off to sandwiches, and today I will be eating a tasty vegan lunch that involves fresh diced tomato, onion, green pepper and cashews tossed with a bit of lime juice, fresh cracked pepper and whole wheat couscous.  

Tonight it's all about the bison though.  Do burgers count as sandwiches?  Have we debated this?  I'm actually on the side of no, but I'd be open to calling it a subcategory.  

Tonight:  Local bison meat burgers, grilled, coated in emmentaler, spring mix greens, tomato, caramelized onions, chipotle aiolie all cuddled in between these super-flat whole grain buns.  I love these buns. If you have anything like them where you are, I suggest them for burgers if you really want to taste the meat.  

Side note:  the store I got the emmentaler at had it labelled at "German Swiss Cheese."  I assumed by the label that it would taste like emmentaler and it does, exactly.  I guess you can't really call it emmentaler unless it's made in the region, but it's straight up weird to call it German Swiss... WTF is that about?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #503 on: June 20, 2012, 05:04:57 pm »

it's straight up weird to call it German Swiss... WTF is that about?

My no doubt incorrect guess would be that it's to distinguish it from that snooty French Swiss cheese, and the harder-to-find Italian Swiss and Romansh Swiss variants.
Logged

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #504 on: June 20, 2012, 05:08:13 pm »

Tonight it's all about the bison though.  Do burgers count as sandwiches?  Have we debated this?  I'm actually on the side of no, but I'd be open to calling it a subcategory.  

Why would a burger not count as a sandwich?
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #505 on: June 20, 2012, 05:21:10 pm »

What about Burritos?  Falafel?  I say yes (they are sandwiches) to both.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #506 on: June 20, 2012, 05:34:21 pm »

I agree Keith.  Sandwichness is defined by the sloppy contents being contained by something bread-y for convenient eating without silverware.  Burgers, pitas, burritos, wraps, and even those Vietnamese cold roll things would all be sandwiches.
Now a fried spring roll - I think that's something else.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #507 on: June 20, 2012, 05:47:14 pm »

Whaaaat.

I am working on figuring out the correct metaphor for how insane that is. Are sushi rolls a kind of sandwich?

Hove some dignity.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #508 on: June 20, 2012, 05:58:35 pm »

A sandwich has bread with some kind of filling. Not a bun, not a tortilla or a wrap or a pita.

Then what the hell do I call pulled pork in a bun?
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #509 on: June 20, 2012, 06:07:23 pm »

a bun is bread. a sandwich on a bun is still a sandwich. a tortilla is not bread. nori and soy paper are not bread. pita is a bread, but this is where it gets tricky. if the pita is stuffed, that might count as a sandwich; if it's wrapped, definitely not. most of the time a pita is wrapped, not stuffed, and therefore not a sandwich.

i think the delimiter should be that if there's bread interior in contact with the fixings, it's a sandwich. also, it needs to be edible without being cooked after assembly.

today i'm going to have a sandwich for lunch. turkey, mayo, mustard, s&p on wheat toast; nothing special until i slice up the banana pepper from our patio garden and lay that in the middle. simple, clean, good-ass.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41   Go Up