Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85459 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #525 on: June 20, 2012, 09:07:51 pm »

I am willing to give "burger" a subcategory of "sandwich" in the same way that the platypus is allowed to be called a mammal. Here's why: If you slap some boneless breaded chicken on a bun and give it lettuce, tomato, and mayo, is it a chicken burger? No. It's a chicken sandwich, even though the only difference between that and a burger is what kind of animal you killed.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #526 on: June 20, 2012, 09:08:10 pm »

Why do you keep trying to give it another name when it has a perfectly good one of it's own?

I'm not! I'm just saying I think burgers are a type of sandwich, like how squares are a type of rectangle.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #527 on: June 20, 2012, 09:11:35 pm »

I don't think a hamburger is a sandwich, it's like calling a burrito a taco. And the rest of the stuff mentioned so far is absolutely not a sandwich.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #528 on: June 20, 2012, 09:14:40 pm »

Burgers are sandwiches. A turkey burger is called that because it is turkey prepared in the Burger method-- ground up and formed into a patty.

also, just remembered something fucked up. In France they call a Gyro a "Sandwich Grec."

Paul, I would say that it's like calling a Burrito a "wrap."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #529 on: June 20, 2012, 09:17:20 pm »

Hm, actually, now that I think about it again...

If you put grilled chicken breast on a bun, it's a chicken sandwich. But if you grind the chicken, form it into a patty, grill it up and THEN put it on a bun, it's a chickenburger. So I think the key is that the meat has to be ground and pattified. That's what makes a (beef, chicken, turkey, veggie) burger a burger.

I'm on your side, Ash. I don't think a burger is a sandwich, precisely. But if we can get tacos and wraps out of the equation, I might be willing to stop splitting hairs on burgers.

Inev -- simulpost!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #530 on: June 20, 2012, 09:31:40 pm »

Look peeps, sliced bread defines a sandwich as what it is.  That's why people say shit like croissant-wich.  It is off kilter if a sandwich like filling appears on something other than sliced bread.  In fact when I was a kid if we had leftover hamburger patties, and we put them on bread, we called them a hamburger sandwich.

The History of the Sandwich

Quote
The bread-enclosed convenience food known as the "sandwich" is attributed to John Montagu, fourth Earl of Sandwich (1718-1792), a British statesman and notorious profligate and gambler, who is said to be the inventor of this type of food so that he would not have to leave his gaming table to take supper. In fact, Montague was not the inventor of the sandwich; rather, during his excursions in the Eastern Mediterranean, he saw grilled pita breads and small canapes and sandwiches served by the Greeks and Turks during their mezes, and copied the concept for its obvious convenience.
 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #531 on: June 20, 2012, 09:54:33 pm »

I guess Arby's sells roast beef burgers?
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #532 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:12 pm »

This is some wack-ass shit. What about when I put turkey breast, pickles, mustard, mayo, and munster on an onion roll? That is a "bunwich" or a "sliced deli-meat burger?" NO! That shit is a sandwich.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #533 on: June 20, 2012, 10:15:02 pm »

If I cut the top and bottom crust off of my burger, does it become a sandwich?

If we let corporate America name shit, this is what we'll get.

This is what we get when that happens, actually

Edit: I think I'm just gonna agree to disagree. You just name it any old way you want dear and the good lord God will provide.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:22:33 pm by nDed »
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #534 on: June 20, 2012, 10:18:43 pm »

education where she gives you a slap and tells you to eat your damn free sandwich and wrap? yes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #535 on: June 20, 2012, 10:21:01 pm »

No!  A bun is a bun.

Also the idea of Ash shouting and pointing at a computer made me lol.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #536 on: June 20, 2012, 10:25:25 pm »

This is some wack-ass shit. What about when I put turkey breast, pickles, mustard, mayo, and munster on an onion roll? That is a "bunwich" or a "sliced deli-meat burger?" NO! That shit is a sandwich.

This is a sandwich. Anyone in any New York deli will agree. And think you are fuck*ng insane for asking.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #537 on: June 20, 2012, 10:45:10 pm »

Quote from: jay-ell
If you have to ask if it qualifies as a sandwich, it's not a sandwich.

The Baseball Hall of Fame is like this.

Pretty much, if you have to ask, you do not belong.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #538 on: June 20, 2012, 11:57:33 pm »

I eat middle eastern food basically constantly, both places I go to (one hella authentic, one Americanized) call what I get the falafel sandwich.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #539 on: June 21, 2012, 12:12:07 am »

And I eat Middle Eastern food from a Lebanese family resto so often they know my order before I ask for it. I also frequent an Isralie place and a pita bakery/ Shwarma place. They never call it a sandwich.  Not ever.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41   Go Up