Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85679 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #540 on: June 21, 2012, 12:14:20 am »

I'ma open up the container at my desk and yell "SURPRISE" at it. No one will check on me because they are used to me yelling wild shit all the time.
Or they just assumed you opened your #####.

Are we calling this a sandwich?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #541 on: June 21, 2012, 12:19:51 am »

Made carnitas, only to realize I don't have any tortillas or beans in the house. What do you call it if you eat Carnitas and salsa and shredded cheese in a hot dog bun?

An abomination?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #542 on: June 21, 2012, 12:29:58 am »



That's a wrap, folks.

What do you call it if you eat Carnitas and salsa and shredded cheese in a hot dog bun?

I think you call it poor planning.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #543 on: June 21, 2012, 12:36:37 am »

FOOD FIGHT

I looked up the menu of the Lebanese place where we eat at least once a week, and all of these are listed under "Sandwiches"

Falafel
with radish, parsley, green onion, tomatoes & tahini    
Shawarma
beef and lamb with lettuce & tahini    
Chicken Shawarma
with garlic sauce & lettuce    
pulled chicken with cheese & garlic sauce    
Kafta
grilled ground beef & lamb with hommos, radish & onion    

mmmm now I'm hungry, damn you all.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #544 on: June 21, 2012, 12:40:14 am »

And I eat Middle Eastern food from a Lebanese family resto so often they know my order before I ask for it. I also frequent an Isralie place and a pita bakery/ Shwarma place. They never call it a sandwich.  Not ever.

If we are trying to compare dicks on this I can call a place and they know by my number who I am and what I want.  That is the traditional place, it is Syrian if thats important.  I've casually dated a girl that works there.

They call it a sandwich.  My dick is bigger than yers.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #545 on: June 21, 2012, 12:42:09 am »

I'm sorry, but the way restaurants describe their food in the assimilation machine that is America is not an indicator of anything.

Also, yes, I also want a falafel and/or shawarma now.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:03:50 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #546 on: June 21, 2012, 12:48:19 am »

Yeah, the fact that they call it that isn't really a deciding factor in my thinking.

And, yeah, me too. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #547 on: June 21, 2012, 01:14:48 am »

This reminds me, if any of you find yourself in Canada, we've got a thing up here called a donair, its a bastardized version of the gyro, and I highly suggest avoiding eating one if you like gyros.  So gross.  It's like a gyro pita, but instead of tzatziki you get "sweet sauce" which is exactly as it sounds (gross and sweet and bleccch) and you get beef instead of beef/lamb, and it's much blander.  I'm glad I was introduced to real gyros before trying a donair, because I would never imagine that two things could look so very similar but be on opposite ends of the enjoyability scale for me. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #548 on: June 21, 2012, 01:30:17 am »

Canadian donair sounds whack, but I think gyros are actually derivative of Turkish doner kebabs.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #549 on: June 21, 2012, 01:39:05 am »

I'm reading something that says the sauce on your Canadian donair is made of sweetened condensed milk. On the bright side now my appetite is totally spoiled and I'm not hungry anymore.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #550 on: June 21, 2012, 02:52:19 am »

Oh man, I just looked up a bunch of recipes for donair sweet sauce and you're right.  That explains the level of gross.  I had no idea.

The first time I had a donair, it was in a food court at a place that was just called Donairs, and I asked what it was and the lady said it was a gyro, not that it was like a gyro, but that it is a gyro.  I had a couple bites and thought the tzatziki sauce had gone bad and threw the whole works in the garbage.  I ordered it again at a more reputable place and realized it was supposed to taste that bad.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #551 on: June 21, 2012, 03:33:08 am »

I just want to add that arguing about sandwiches is wonderful and was a ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak workday.  I'm talking new born baby in detox sad, father murdered by single punch sad, grandma dealing crack instead of caring of small children in her care sad, mother of five committing suicide sad, finding out a girl I tried to help has ended up in the sex trade sad.  It has been a horrible horrible work week over the past five days I have returned since our grandma's funeral.  I'm kind of at my limit.  Thankfully I have tomorrow off.

I was thinking about this:  there are hamburger buns, and there are other buns. As I drooled over much earlier in this thread, a bahn mi is certainly a sandwich, and it is on a special Vietnamese crusty roll.  I still insist that a burger is not a sandwich but I will concede that a sandwich can be on sliced bread or a bun or roll.  When I think about my grandma making bread, she used the same recipe for both bread and buns, the only difference in her baking was size and final crust ratio. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #552 on: June 21, 2012, 04:59:56 am »

Why would a burger not count as a sandwich?

Because it's a burger.

Jesus people. If someone asked you if you wanted a sandwich, and you said yes, and they asked what kind, and you said surprise me, and they brought you a burger, you would say or think something like "but I agreed to a sandwich, not a burger." Maybe you'd be delighted, but a part of you would be wondering why they didn't just offer you a burger. I guarantee it.

The Baseball Hall of Fame is like this.

Pretty much, if you have to ask, you do not belong.

If you have to ask, you're streets behind.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #553 on: June 21, 2012, 05:43:56 am »

Because it's a burger.

Jesus people. If someone asked you if you wanted a sandwich, and you said yes, and they asked what kind, and you said surprise me, and they brought you a burger, you would say or think something like "but I agreed to a sandwich, not a burger." Maybe you'd be delighted, but a part of you would be wondering why they didn't just offer you a burger. I guarantee it.

holy shit, i think you might have turned me there. BUT -- and this is a pretty massive but, as big as my own ass -- only if the exact same ruling applies to the rest: taco, burrito, sushi handroll, wraps, shawarma, the lot of it.

who was it some other time this came up with the calzone? because that shit is right out
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #554 on: June 21, 2012, 06:04:14 am »

Quote
Jesus people. If someone asked you if you wanted a sandwich, and you said yes, and they asked what kind, and you said surprise me, and they brought you a burger, you would say or think something like "but I agreed to a sandwich, not a burger." Maybe you'd be delighted, but a part of you would be wondering why they didn't just offer you a burger. I guarantee it.
\

Yeah, but I would feel the same way if someone asked "do you want a sandwich" and brought out a Banh Mi. Because it is a very particular sub-type of sandwich which is not necessarily conjured up by the word "sandwich."

Do you like rock music? Ok, here's some rock music. What? You're surprised that this is what I played you? I guess that means it isn't rock music.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41   Go Up