Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85496 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #555 on: June 21, 2012, 07:06:18 am »

Golly! Defining the sandwich is a complicated thing.

I had a donor sandwich thing a couple of weeks ago and tried to make a crack about the Donner party, but it went nowhere.

What about the ice cream sandwich?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #557 on: June 21, 2012, 12:16:33 pm »

Inev, you have been in linguistics classes more recently than me. You know that thing they talk about in semantics about word meaning, how categories like this have canonical examples and more peripheral ones, and this is just how word meaning works? Or is that a psycholinguistics thing?  Someone needs to explain that here but this week I am too busy trying to juggle two or three other careers and I don't have time to dig back deep enough to remember how to explain it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #558 on: June 21, 2012, 01:15:43 pm »

\

Yeah, but I would feel the same way if someone asked "do you want a sandwich" and brought out a Banh Mi. Because it is a very particular sub-type of sandwich which is not necessarily conjured up by the word "sandwich."

Do you like rock music? Ok, here's some rock music. What? You're surprised that this is what I played you? I guess that means it isn't rock music.

No, I'm not at all surprised you played this, and I don't think anyone else is.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #559 on: June 21, 2012, 02:40:14 pm »

If you ask someone to picture a bird, I guarantee the bird they will be picturing is not an ostrich. But guess what? AN OSTRICH IS STILL A BIRD.

So yes, things on buns are still sandwiches. Also, I feel compelled to point out that no one here has yet gotten their pastrami in a twisty roll about the open-faced sandwich.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #560 on: June 21, 2012, 03:48:12 pm »

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #561 on: June 21, 2012, 03:50:31 pm »

This sandwich is so pornographic that it's NSFW.  Also:  want.
QFT.  I'm getting ready to go into the lab, with 3 hours and 15 minutes to lunch - and that's the image to go with me.  Its going to be a long morning.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #562 on: June 21, 2012, 03:51:40 pm »

Also, I feel compelled to point out that no one here has yet gotten their pastrami in a twisty roll about the open-faced sandwich.

I'm leaning towards classifying them with bruschetta and crostini in the food-on-bread category, and not with true sandwiches. "Open-faced sandwich" is just a convenient way to describe something that's not really a sandwich in a sandwich dominated culture.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:13:39 pm by nDed »
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #563 on: June 21, 2012, 03:59:36 pm »

The open faced sandwich, by name, describes that there is less bread, but that bread is present, so I am comfortable including it as a sandwich.  When I make such a thing though, I call it a melt.  I keep it on the sidelines of sandwich-hood,  I maintain a firm distinction.

Let's be careful here though:  pizza is not a sandwich, even if it's a panzarotti or calzone.

Also, now I'm super conflicted:  I have the day off, and often such days mean I go on a mission to eat the perfect lunch.  I was originally going to drive 30 minutes across town for the best damn Shawarma, but now that sandwich AC posted is messing with me and I'm thinking all sorts of dirty thoughts about melted cheese.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #564 on: June 21, 2012, 04:05:50 pm »

Oh! Burgers vs. melts. As in, ground beef with swiss cheese on rye bread (instead of a bun) is known as a patty melt. I would argue that a melt is a type of sandwich, whether it is served open-faced or closed.

Story time: My dad likes to tell about how he would sometimes go to McDonald's with his Polish-born, Catholic grandmother on Fridays, which at the time were meatless for Catholics even outside of Lent.

My great-grandmother would order a cheeseburger, sit down at the table, unwrap it, and then say, "Ach! I always forget that there's meat in these." Then she'd heave a long sigh, consider her options, and say, "Well, it's more of a sin to waste it." And then she'd eat it. With gusto.

Every time.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #565 on: June 21, 2012, 04:12:29 pm »

Let's be careful here though:  pizza is not a sandwich, even if it's a panzarotti or calzone.

This sentence makes no sense. A calzone is not a type of pizza.

FOOD FIGHT
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #566 on: June 21, 2012, 04:13:43 pm »

If you ask someone to picture a bird, I guarantee the bird they will be picturing is not an ostrich. But guess what? AN OSTRICH IS STILL A BIRD.

So yes, things on buns are still sandwiches.

This is exactly the point I am trying to get Inev to explain from some old class notes so I don't have to.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #567 on: June 21, 2012, 04:40:48 pm »

This sentence makes no sense. A calzone is not a type of pizza.

FOOD FIGHT

I really know nothing of calzones apart from the fact the store-brand pizza pops at the grocery store I frequent are called calzones and that Wikipedia calls calzones "folded pizza." I've certainly never had an authentic calzone because whenever I go to an authentic Italian restaurant I am a straight-up past whore. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #568 on: June 21, 2012, 04:47:56 pm »

This is exactly the point I am trying to get Inev to explain from some old class notes so I don't have to.

Yeah, that's my thinking. Technically, a burger is a sandwich. But no one in their right mind CALLS it a sandwich.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #569 on: June 21, 2012, 04:49:29 pm »

If I weren't on my way out the door and the search there wasn't so bad I'd find the Basic Instructions comic about open-face sandwiches. Somebody else, look into that until I get back.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41   Go Up