Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Secret Santa  (Read 22057 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Secret Santa
« on: November 19, 2009, 11:57:23 pm »

Nope, I seriously want to buy him a poster!  I have almost more money than I know what to do with, for about another month, then I'm going to be flat broke for the next eleventy years.  So, I'm getting people little things while I can.

I am very pleasantly surprised and touched by this, and it leads to another thing I was thinking about: Blind Gift Exchange? I have recently happened upon some free time (unemployment), and would be willing to administer such a thing, if there is enough interest. I actually participated in one on another board, and it was a lot of fun.

My main concern would be that it's already mid-November, and some people (me) are slow about some things like PM'ing addresses and buying gifts and mailing them.

So, is there any significant interest in such a thing?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:23:47 am by Choop »
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:36:32 am »

Jon (aka Ferocious J) used to administer something like this on Dumbrella. Here were his rules:

NOTE HERE THE DANCE CARD RULES: They are below.  They're easy!  If you
break them, you'll be left off all future updates, no one will send
you anything, you'll be publicly castigated on the board, and we'll
seal you inside a spacesuit and shit in it.  So follow these simple,
simple rules.

1. No minimum participation is enforced.  Do as much or as little as you like.
2. No sending people poop, literal or otherwise.
3. No anonymous mail.

As always, if you have an update to the list or want to be taken off,
let me know.

You may continue to mail each other items you think the other person would like.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:03:33 am »

I assume you mean that everybody's address is on a private list, and then we can look them up to send them things?

Hmm, interesting. I guess I was kind of thinking more of a blind experience, where everyone puts their name into a hat and is drawn another person to get gifts for.

A plus to Ferocious J's way, you can send gifts to the people you want to send gifts to, but I like the element of surprise...element to my suggestion.

Thoughts?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:07:26 am »

I figured you meant more a Secret Santa type deal. I was just floating this as a related option.

But yeah, everybody gets a list of all the other partici#####' addresses. There is an optional "I live with my parents/no racy stuff" flag for each person.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 01:51:23 am »

Yes! Secret Santa, I couldn't remember the term.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 03:50:13 am »

hell and damn yes!  secret santa is rad with fake internet friends that are above average!  count me in.  im not willing to organize such a thing, but i would love to be a part of it.  is there going to be a special thread, or what?

the rules up there are kind of vague.....

here are the rules for the other FIFSS(fake internet friend secret santa)-dealie that im participating in.  i think they are the best ones:

To make this fun for everyone, we do need to follow some rules:
*Sign up by the end of the day November 24

*Gifts need to total close to $20. Please try to stay as close to that as possible, but be creative. we all know that handmade items are awesome gifts too and they are as welcome as store-bought goodies.

*You MUST MUST mail your package on time.

*Follow through! Be 100% sure that you can do this before you sign up!

*Please include your screen name with your gift... your identity as Santa should only be a secret until your gift is opened!


also, my friend provided a questionnaire/guide the potential santas:

Can you mail internationally?

Info for your Secret Santa:

First and Last Name:

Full Mailing Address:

Do you have any allergies?

Favorite Color?

Clothing Size? (you don't HAVE to share... but please let us know if we're talking about US/UK/AUS sizing)

Favorite Books/Authors?

Favorite TV shows and Movies:

Favorite things to eat (snacks, candies and such):

Stuff that you enjoy(Do you collect pokemon cards? Are you totally into cars? Are you in love with Batman? now's the time to let your Santa know!):

Things that you don't like (this is the place to mention it if you would rather die then listen to the Jonas Bros or you're pretty sure you're never going to wear polyester #####):
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:53:48 am by greenkoolayd »
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 01:00:37 pm »

Who is doing this?  I am in. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 02:03:15 pm »

Sure, I'm in.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 02:03:27 pm »

hell and damn yes!  secret santa is rad with fake internet friends that are above average!  count me in.  im not willing to organize such a thing, but i would love to be a part of it.  is there going to be a special thread, or what?

the rules up there are kind of vague.....

The other wasn't a set event but ongoing for about 2 years. So people sent whatever they wanted whenever they felt like it. I recall receiving a postcard that had been hand-stitched together from paint samples, an amusing collage made mainly from teen magazines, and some of those candy dots that come on wax paper.

Although a traditional Secret Santa is much more likely to garner participation from all.

I'm down with participating either way.
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 02:09:20 pm »

I'm game. One rule though, unboxing photos are strongly encouraged.
Logged

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 02:45:58 pm »

I am so in.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 03:10:04 pm »

WHO MAILED ME THIS EIGHT BALL OF COCAINE AND TWELVE YEAR OLD THAI HOOKER.

SHIT I PULLED MY OWN NAME ON THE SECRET SANTA LIST AGAIN GOD DAMN IT THIS HAPPENS EVERY YEAR
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 03:11:03 pm »

Okay, I am ready to do this thing. The rules that Mr Kool-Aid laid out work fine for me, but I'm going to reiterate them here, with a couple of minor changes.

Rules
  • Sign up by the end of the day November 27th
  • Please keep it around $20. It's okay to spend more if you like, but don't feel gypped if you spend a lot and are not reciprocated in kind. Of course handmade items are always encouraged (and inexpensive!)
  • Whatever your mailing method, ensure that your packages arrive by the appropriate time.
  • Make sure you are really gonna do this thing before you sign up. It would be really crappy to put a lot of time and effort into a gift, and still receive nothing.
  • I know that a lot of us already know each others' real names, but please include your screen name with the gift, just in case.

If you decide that you are ready to get down, send me a PM with the following info:
  • Can you mail internationally?
  • Your name and address
  • Allergies
  • Whether you would like to be added to the list of addresses for future random gift giving, which I will compile and send to the interested parties.

The following will help your Secret Santa find stuff for you:
  • Clothing size(s)
  • Favorite books, shows, movies, authors, directors, actors, etc
  • Favorite foods/snacks
  • Stuff you like: hobbies, interests, passions
  • Stuff you don't like: if you have something(s) you just can't stand and don't want the remote chance of getting one of them, make sure to speak up here
  • Any other info not covered here that you feel would help your Secret Santa.

And of course, once you do receive your gift:
  • Pics or it didn't happen

If anybody notices something that I've missed, speak up! Otherwise, get me your info asap!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:15:44 pm by lprkn »
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 03:34:55 pm »

When are the gifts "due?" If I have 'til the new year, I'll do it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Santa
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 03:39:25 pm »

I think Jan. 1 is a good drop-deadline, I understand that some people are very busy with things such as jobs and offspring. But of course, a gift is cool no matter when you get it.

I'll be trying to get mine sent out so it's received by Christmas, though.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up