Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forming  (Read 3943 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Forming
« on: November 23, 2009, 03:02:53 pm »

I'm floored by the storytelling and design of "Forming". Now I have a top 4.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Forming
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 11:54:14 am »

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:47:21 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Forming
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 12:16:49 pm »

Sorry, I don't talk pug. But hey, have an image too (Serapis, a character from "Forming"):



I love this shit.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 12:21:18 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Forming
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 12:23:06 pm »

That was my face around 'Musn't waste a single drop'.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Forming
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:27:40 pm »

What can I say, It's a seminal work of art, my friend.

Also, I'd advise reading it from the start. The story is heavy on Gnostic notions (the battle of Michael with the Demiurge is a must-see. "Together we've birthed a Cosmic Order which almost makes sense!" gave me a metaphysical chortle. Those are hard to come by.), so the use of semen for its mystical connotations is actually pretty on the, uh, spot.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 12:44:08 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Forming
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 01:53:18 pm »

What, is there supposed to be a pug in Doc's message? I can't see it.

edit: Huh, and now it's there. I wonder if this is related to the fact that half the time when I try to embed an image I can't get it to work, and there seems to be no difference between what I do when it works and when it doesn't.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Forming
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 02:01:14 pm »

I can't see it now either... does the fact that you're a mod mean your perception determines all our realities?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Forming
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 02:47:08 pm »



The Pug Community frowns on your shenanigans.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Forming
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 11:01:41 am »

Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

R2DTrousers

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 53
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Forming
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 01:00:09 pm »

The drawings in Forming are very inventive and interesting, and I like the conversational tone juxtaposed with the crazy subject matter. But... the storyline is utterly incomprehensible (to me)!
Logged
Computer science uses electric machines (computers for example). A computer scientist will need math, science, and know-how to make and use computers.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Forming
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 02:09:38 pm »

The drawings in Forming are very inventive and interesting, and I like the conversational tone juxtaposed with the crazy subject matter. But... the storyline is utterly incomprehensible (to me)!

Haha, yeah, there's that, yes.

I guess the best approach for it is to see it as a mashup/remix of the origin myths, with everybody being invited to the party. A metaphysical/mystical soap opera: Summerian gods, Greek gods, angels from the hebraic tradition, concepts from Gnosticism mixed with labor-class politics, plus plenty of intespecies shagging and some street-level cussing. What's not to love?

I can't even think about trying to put that in a coherent order, but I think that only a passing familiarity with certain concepts might be enough to sustain one's interest throughout the story. There's much symbolism for those who like hunting for clues, like the choice of colors (purple for Serapis, who's an hermaphrodite, for instance).

It might be a little too easy to call it all an exercise in "dream logic" and call it a day. I think there's more to it than that (although its dreamy quality is a major part of its appeal). I don't know, really - just like the "cosmic order which almost makes sense" that is the central point of the Gnostic tradition (in which this here our world is either a practical joke or a punishment created by a stupid deity), perhaps you have to have faith that it all will come out right in the end (or, failing that, at least try to get a few laughs on your way out...)?



The creator of this world, pursuing the formula of the chewing gum that doesn't lose its flavor. Shit will go down.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 02:17:23 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Forming
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 11:54:54 pm »

POUNDPOUNDPOUND

Ahaha, I love it. I was thinking that maybe this strip would suffer from having to wait so much between installments, but judging from this last installment I have no reason to worry. It's being worth it.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up