Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi  (Read 6976 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« on: November 25, 2009, 06:56:01 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:20:56 pm »

I have a friend whose mom knows Orson Scott Card. They go to the same Mormon temple in Greensboro.

This was more interesting before Children of the Mind came out and I lost all respect for the man.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:36:52 pm »

I have a friend whose mom knows Orson Scott Card. They go to the same Mormon temple in Greensboro.

This was more interesting before Children of the Mind came out and I lost all respect for the man.

Hmmm...why is that?  I just discovered OSC about 6 months ago, and have read Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Lost Boys, and his looooong collection of short stories, Maps in a Mirror.  I've loved them all.  What is different with Children of the Mind?
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 08:30:16 pm »

I thought I liked OSC until I tried reading one of his non-Ender novels. It was a miserable slog about how after an apocalypse (not a religious one, a regular war-type one iirc) only the Mormons have the organization, drive, and moral virtue to rebuild society and all you heathens are gon' get it.

While I did not much like this Achewood I can, partly as a result of this experience, sympathize with the message not to declare yourself a fan of some creator before sampling their lesser works.
Logged

Chump Change

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 172
  • This is amazing!
    • View Profile
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 09:44:27 pm »

Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:59:45 pm »

what

The fundamental premise is fine but most of the humor derives from Onstad's hyperbolic ramble through multiple mouthpieces about how much he dislikes the Grateful Dead. As I have no strong feelings about the Grateful Dead, this falls flat for me.
Logged

Chump Change

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 172
  • This is amazing!
    • View Profile
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 12:01:47 am »

I couldn't care less about the Grateful Dead either, but I can still appreciate a good hyperbolic ramble when I read one.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 01:03:49 am »

Yeah that comic is genius.  "These dudes were so stoned they had two drummers at the same time and didn't even notice."
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 03:14:07 am »

While I did not much like this Achewood

Oddly enough, that one is not my favorite either.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Chump Change

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 172
  • This is amazing!
    • View Profile
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 03:46:41 am »

Are you guys skipping the fourth panel whenever you read it? That might help to solve this mystery.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 04:29:32 am »

I am conflicted about OSC. I really like some of his work(Ender, Enchanted, Alvin Maker), but then I go to his website and read things about how the Gays Are Bad, mmmkay, and I wonder if buying his books is helping him to spread things that I really Don't Agree With At All.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 05:20:27 am »

Oddly enough, that one is not my favorite either.

I quite like the Grateful Dead and I love this strip.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 10:51:11 pm »

Are you guys skipping the fourth panel whenever you read it? That might help to solve this mystery.

Wow! All this time I never bothered reading the fourth panel! Ha! Ha! This is truly the ultimate in hilarity!

What's that, my friend? You say that this beer is supposed to taste like that? Amazing! Suddenly I like it! It had never occurred to me!

Next someone will tell me that Christians have already figured out who the Messiah was, and that it was Jesus all along! For surely if I had but known that, I would have slapped my head and converted already!

Edit: The last one probably doesn't make intuitive sense to anyone who isn't a Jew that gets evangelized at. Christian evangelists sort of assume that if a Jew isn't malicious, the reason he hasn't converted must be because nobody told him that the Messiah already came back. This sort of "if you don't agree with me, it must be because you haven't heard my opinion yet" bullshit is very tiresome.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:17:59 pm by Ben-San »
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 11:54:25 pm »

I've never understood why you have any cans.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Chump Change

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 172
  • This is amazing!
    • View Profile
Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 12:01:33 am »

Wow! All this time I never bothered reading the fourth panel! Ha! Ha! This is truly the ultimate in hilarity!

Told you so.

I'm here to help!
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up