Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Bread from Starters  (Read 12164 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Quick Bread from Starters
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:06:45 pm »

So I've been baking quick breads - AKA "Friendship Bread" - for a little while now and I'm experimenting with different ways to make it. It seems that you really can do no wrong with this bread. Just about anything seems to work, and work well.

For Thanksgiving, I've made a reduced-fat apple-cinnamon double-sized loaf, and also an orange spice loaf (with orange extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg). The recipe also makes great blueberry muffins, but I ran out of frozen blueberries.

Anybody else every played with quick breads? More importantly, would anyone like to? I understand that sourdough starters can be mailed, and I have plenty.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:14:33 pm »

the missus bakes a bread from this recipe (i gave her the book for ...her birthday maybe? she asked for it). it's damn tasty, and really easy, no starter needed.

an aunt of mine had a little side-business baking the same bread you're baking, and said it's even better if it's frozen and thawed after baking.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:17:46 pm »

the missus bakes a bread from this recipe (i gave her the book for ...her birthday maybe? she asked for it). it's damn tasty, and really easy, no starter needed.

an aunt of mine had a little side-business baking the same bread you're baking, and said it's even better if it's frozen and thawed after baking.

Yeah, I've found it's fabulous if you leave it uncovered overnight.

I'm not down with registering with the NY times to get to the recipe. But I kind of prefer baking from a starter. I don't know why, maybe it's because I find the Science behind it really cool. Plus, it compels me to actually bake now and then, which I otherwise just sit around intending to do.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 10:16:45 pm »

Quote from: nytimes
Recipe: Simple Crusty Bread

Adapted from “Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day,” by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François (Thomas Dunne Books, 2007)
Time: About 45 minutes plus about 3 hours’ resting and rising

1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, more for dusting dough
Cornmeal.

1. In a large bowl or plastic container, mix yeast and salt into 3 cups lukewarm water (about 100 degrees). Stir in flour, mixing until there are no dry patches. Dough will be quite loose. Cover, but not with an airtight lid. Let dough rise at room temperature 2 hours (or up to 5 hours).

2. Bake at this point or refrigerate, covered, for as long as two weeks. When ready to bake, sprinkle a little flour on dough and cut off a grapefruit-size piece with serrated knife. Turn dough in hands to lightly stretch surface, creating a rounded top and a lumpy bottom. Put dough on pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal; let rest 40 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it.

3. Place broiler pan on bottom of oven. Place baking stone on middle rack and turn oven to 450 degrees; heat stone at that temperature for 20 minutes.

4. Dust dough with flour, slash top with serrated or very sharp knife three times. Slide onto stone. Pour one cup hot water into broiler pan and shut oven quickly to trap steam. Bake until well browned, about 30 minutes. Cool completely.

Yield: 4 loaves.

Variation: If not using stone, stretch rounded dough into oval and place in a greased, nonstick loaf pan. Let rest 40 minutes if fresh, an extra hour if refrigerated. Heat oven to 450 degrees for 5 minutes. Place pan on middle rack.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 10:20:03 pm »

Neat. I assume that makes something analogous to regular white bread? Have you ever tried it with whole-wheat flour?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 10:21:15 pm »

it's like a crusty white batard, light and fluffy on the inside with a great rind-like crust. haven't tried with whole-wheat, but i'd bet it could handle the change without too much adjustment.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 11:29:47 pm »

i have been fighting with some dough since sunday, trying to make some injera. The problem with teff is that it has next to no gluten (hence the spongy texture of injera), which means I dont know how to work it right. As a result, I get delicious teff pancakes but not injera.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 05:52:32 am »

these words you speak, they have no meaning for us
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 06:31:32 am »

speaking of baking:

im going to start baking cookies soon.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 07:19:45 am »

I had ethiopian food for the first time recently, and I really didn't like it. I couldn't figure out what it was, but there was this one taste going on in the food that I just HATED. Maybe it was the injera? It was kind of like... sour.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 07:37:01 am »

I had ethiopian food
Really dude? Morocco is as far Africa as good food gets. The rest is just variations on Kabobs and rice.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 08:12:48 am »

I had ethiopian food for the first time recently, and I really didn't like it. I couldn't figure out what it was, but there was this one taste going on in the food that I just HATED. Maybe it was the injera? It was kind of like... sour.

Injera is no more sour than your average sourdough. The two most prevalant flavors that are unfamiliar to the Western tongue are fenugreek seed and something they call "black cardamom" but isnt related to cardamom AFAIK. One of those two is causing your reaction likely.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 08:24:41 am »

I don't really like sourdough bread, either, so it is still possible that that was it.

it wasn't intensely sour, just sour in a way that wasn't to my taste.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 04:03:18 pm »

I had ethiopian food for the first time recently

This reminds me of the first time I had Ethiopian food, which was in the company of Cort, Wombat, and the Technical Staff.

Good times.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 11:21:59 pm »

I've been wanting to try Ethiopian food.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up