Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New posts issue  (Read 1771 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
New posts issue
« on: December 08, 2003, 01:57:19 am »

OK, so you know how when you log in, all forums/topics that have new posts have the little page icon in a different color?

On my work computer (running Win2K), I am able to go into one forum and from there into a topic, and then when I come back out to the forum index, topics with new posts still have the yellow (red, pink, whatever the hell it is) page marker.  That is, they're still flagged as having new posts, until I either actually read them, or until I close the browser entirely.

At home, however (running XP and IE 6), if I read a single topic, when I come back to the forum index, all the new post markers are GONE.  It's as if I quit IE and came back.  This is a pain in the ass, because I have to actually, you know, read dates and stuff to figure out which topics have new posts.

WTF?!?  Anyone else?  Do I have to fix some cookie-acceptance setting?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
New posts issue
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 02:33:44 am »

Probably a caching issue. I don't know the settings for IE under XP, but under 2000, check this one:

Tools > Options > (Temporary Internet Files) Settings > check "Every visit..."

that'll give you the new images every page load.

If you're running Firebird, I haven't figured that out just yet.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
New posts issue
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 02:23:25 pm »

Running FireBird it seems to do it fine for me by defualt.
If I view a topic, then click the logo to go back to the main page, the ones I've viewed are blanked out, while the unvisited remain highlighted.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
New posts issue
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 03:55:52 pm »

I've noticed that on some systems using the back button/backspace doesn't update the icons, but clicking the logo or anything in the navigation path at the top/bottom of the page updates them every time.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
New posts issue
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 06:16:11 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I've noticed that on some systems using the back button/backspace doesn't update the icons, but clicking the logo or anything in the navigation path at the top/bottom of the page updates them every time.


This is exatly what I've found in Firebird...
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."
Pages: [1]   Go Up