Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Onion AV Club best comics list  (Read 2793 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Onion AV Club best comics list
« on: November 26, 2009, 01:31:51 am »

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-best-comics-of-the-00s,35713/1/

They've got Achewood and one other book that I own, so there is clearly some small overlap between their taste and mine, but otherwise I don't feel compelled to read anything else on this list. What am I missing out on?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Onion AV Club best comics list
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 03:05:24 am »

Eightball #23 is fantastic.  Although #22 is even better.  I don't own the collection, but 100 Demons is fantastic.  I read it on Slate.  I don't have the Peanuts collection, but I can't imagine it would be anything other than awesome!  And the rest of the reprints from earlier times are all pretty damn great too.  Damn that's a big part of their list, stuff from way way back.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Onion AV Club best comics list
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 04:38:49 am »

Thes lists are bad. These lists make me want to spend money on comics that I need to spend on more important stuff, like food.

That being said, the list looks pretty solid. I would have liked to have seen something on there by Warren Ellis, and maybe some more superhero-y stuff (Invincible, hello?) but all in all: solid.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Onion AV Club best comics list
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 05:25:40 am »

That being said, the list looks pretty solid. I would have liked to have seen something on there by Warren Ellis, and maybe some more superhero-y stuff (Invincible, hello?) but all in all: solid.

Well yeah, it's gonna be solid if it includes anthology of some of the best of the entire last century.  I'm not knocking the list per se, but it's a bit specious is all.  Sure, Peanuts is awesome, but it's not really from the last decade.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Onion AV Club best comics list
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 10:46:59 am »

"Blankets" was a very nice read, despite my distaste for magical realism.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Onion AV Club best comics list
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 05:51:40 pm »

Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up