Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: port forwarding  (Read 7424 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
port forwarding
« on: November 26, 2009, 09:00:01 am »

so, I am at my wit's end. I am attempting to open a port to use for uTorrent. Everything I try fails. I even turned off my firewall, and it still said the port was closed. What the heck?

I found a thing that explained how to open ports on windows firewall, but the instructions told me to click on things that were not there. So then I disabled Windows Firewall, in addition to McAfee firewall... still no connection.

What I really don't get is that uTorrent has never had this problem before, it worked for years with no hiccups. Ever since I started using a new site to get torrents, uTorrent has been saying the ports are all closed. What gives?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 04:12:32 pm »

I assume  (as most tend to) your router/cable modem has a firewall built in. You'd need to log into that (most likely 192.168.0.1 in a browser depending on make, though could be 192.168.1.256 I think it tends to be for LinkSys) and find firewall settings or services options in there.
If you let us know what make of router or modem I can have a further look around, but I'm guessing it'll be that if nothing else appears to be getting in the way.

Also, did you kill windows firewall in services.msc, or just by asking it to go away in the system tray? 'Cause that tends not to actually do anything.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:17:20 pm »

it's a Linksys. When I type in either of those IP addresses chrome thinks I am doing a google search... regardless I should probably wait until I'm back and school, instead of screwing with my parent's router.

thanks!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 02:21:48 am »

what's the model number?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 04:06:47 am »

it's a Linksys. When I type in either of those IP addresses chrome thinks I am doing a google search... regardless I should probably wait until I'm back and school, instead of screwing with my parent's router.

thanks!

My two Linksys routers both use 192.168.1.1
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 03:46:57 am »

My linksys router wants a hardwired connection (ethernet cable) between the computer and the router if you want to monkey with its settings.  Security measure.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:10:37 am »

I got in using 192.168.1.1, but now it's asking for a username and password. The girl downstairs set it up, so god only knows what it is.

At the end of this semester we're going to tell them we dont' want to split internet anymore, and get our own. An already-slow connection split 4 ways is just not cutting it at all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 06:21:47 am »

I got in using 192.168.1.1, but now it's asking for a username and password. The girl downstairs set it up, so god only knows what it is.
Try Admin/Admin or Admin/password. Thats the default for verizon routers.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 04:12:14 pm »

Quote from: first google result for "linksys default password"
On older LinkSys routers, the default username is blank and the default password is "admin." On newer Linksys routers, both the default username and the default password are set to "admin." *
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 06:49:37 pm »

I got in using 192.168.1.1, but now it's asking for a username and password. The girl downstairs set it up, so god only knows what it is

Chances are it's the default. Most people just set up their wireless security, and stop there.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 09:01:51 pm »

That's when you change his network's name.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 09:06:10 pm »

That's when you change his network's name.
to "We can hear you having sex." Also "TRASH CANS: STILL IN STREET WTF"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 07:43:02 pm »

it is not the default. so it's probably something bizarre/they don't know what it is.
i look forwards to having my own internet setup. although, the reason we are using their shitty old linksys router is that my brand-new apple AirPort "broke" and "just stopped working" so they swapped theirs in. I look forwards to getting it back from them and realizing that... no, it is not broken.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 02:39:02 am »

No, no, don't let your neighbor know that everyone can get on his wireless! The world needs those people. I use my neighbor's all the time when our service goes down. And I hate visiting my sister because she doesn't have wireless and all her neighbors have protected theirs. Every neighborhood needs someone who doesn't know enough to do that. It's worth a few trash cans in the street.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 05:09:23 pm »

Careful conservation of wild open wireless is called for in these situations.  You might consider tagging the utility pole near their house with the appropriate war-chalking symbol. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up