Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: port forwarding  (Read 7442 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 01:27:13 am »

I know better, but leave mine open anyway.

What is the downside by the way?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 01:41:29 am »

a hacker could hijack your tubes and the feds could pin his or her misdeeds on you
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 03:09:07 am »

Or a blowjob with some basic apps could intercept all of your traffic and rob you blind.
They actually caught some kid doing this on COPS once, he was just sitting in his car in front of an apartment building with a laptop and a notebook full of credit card numbers and logins.
Encrypt your connection and lock that shit up.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 03:40:29 am »

My router often reboots itself and reverts to default (open) settings. Blah.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 03:43:13 am »

I leave mine wide open, but nobody lives within 1/2 mile of me.  And if some dude was sitting in my driveway with a laptop I might get a little suspicious.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 04:24:27 am »

I have been waiting for an "any port in a storm" joke and it has not come yet.

So I'll just mention the notion here, negating its possibility and end the wait.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 03:06:32 pm »

speaking of intranetz geekery, as we speak, im using my cell phone(samsung a877/impression) as a wireless modem for my laptop, using AT&Ts 3G network.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 04:06:31 pm »

speaking of intranetz geekery, as we speak, im using my cell phone(samsung a877/impression) as a wireless modem for my laptop, using AT&Ts 3G network.

How does that work?  Do you plug the phone into the laptop or what?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 04:18:28 pm »

nah nah you plug the LAPTOP into the PHONE
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: port forwarding
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 05:05:12 pm »

How does that work?  Do you plug the phone into the laptop or what?

the literature that came with it mentioned that its made to be used thusly and they included the drivers and software, as well as the compy cable.  yeah, dude, i just plug the phone into a USB port with the cable.

i wasnt sure how it was supposed to work, so i looked online and found a message board where people share hacks/tips/tricks for this model (there are some 1337 f0n3 haxorz out there, let me tell you.).  luckily, there was a thread where someone posted instructions.

i had to create a new internet connection(dial up.  weird, huh?) and type the number that the dude gave in his instructions.  when the applet popped up to enter a user name and password, i just clocked on "connect", and it bypassed that whole deal.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up