Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet  (Read 6516 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 11:22:11 am »

Maybe the '65 Ford Galaxie will end up peeling out the baby's head skin. I can hold out for that.
the hell?

What, you've never seen "Peel-out Summer"? It's a classic!

Also, what Ash said. Achewood used to have amazing three-panel strips back in the day, which could beat the heck out of long arcs such as the karma wheel.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 10:30:49 pm »

Beef shouldn't be getting flustered by this choice; he should just pick the geometry ones and that's that.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 11:21:37 pm »

condom purchasing is I think the one time in my life where I said, "which one have I seen the most ads for? which ones do my friends use?" very openly without any shame or second thoughts.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 12:06:28 am »

condom purchasing is I think the one time in my life where I said, "which one have I seen the most ads for? which ones do my friends use?" very openly without any shame or second thoughts.
The health office at school used to have no name red condoms from china. And no one ever used them.
Then they filled the basket with those Trojan magnum condoms with the gold foil wrappers. Couldnt keep 'em in stock.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 05:12:40 am »

condom purchasing is I think the one time in my life where I said, "which one have I seen the most ads for? which ones do my friends use?" very openly without any shame or second thoughts.

Why do you know which brand of condoms your friends use?  I don't know which brands of tampons my friends use. Just wonderin'.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 05:15:08 am »

Why do you know which brand of condoms your friends use? 
Everyone wore their Lisa Left-Eye Lopes costume to the WUSTL Halloween party last year.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 05:15:37 am »

I guess mostly that my roommate used to have a box of condoms sitting on top of his dresser. After a full year I convinced him that this scares girls away.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 06:34:54 am »

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can't help but feel that "posting short pieces more often than large pieces less often" is going to turn into "posting short pieces less often".

If Onstad views the strip simply as a cash-cow, like Scott Adams views Dilbert, then this view is accurate. If,however, he views it as a creative endeavour of art, that won't be the case, because when inspiration strikes, it will come out on its own schedule and the precise size it needs to be.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 02:50:12 pm »

If Onstad views the strip simply as a cash-cow, like Scott Adams views Dilbert, then this view is accurate. If,however, he views it as a creative endeavour of art, that won't be the case, because when inspiration strikes, it will come out on its own schedule and the precise size it needs to be.

As a person who makes Creative for a living, I can assure you that Onstad gave up the right to treat the strip like Art when he quit his day job.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 04:01:38 pm »

Regarding knowing what kind of condoms your friends use, I have probably told this story before, but I'll tell it again because it's funny.

Some years ago, I had just broken up with my girlfriend, and was about to go off for a weekend at the beach to a big house full of people and beer.  Ostensibly, there was the possibility of drunken hook-ups.  So my roommate, in an effort to cheer me up, said, "Here, take some of these, you'll need them," and handed me some condoms.

"Dude... these say Extra-Large on them."

"Why yes," he smiled.  "I find they work quite well."

"OK, great.  I'm sure... they'll be fine.  Thanks."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 08:08:29 pm »

As a person who makes Creative for a living, I can assure you that Onstad gave up the right to treat the strip like Art when he quit his day job.
What was his day job, when he had one?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 09:54:59 pm »

Well, he did make it into a decision with a lot more consequences, regarding like, food on the table and such, but I suppose a person still has the right to raise a family on ramen noodles.

Wasn't he a graphic designer? It was something in the Silicon Valley boom.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 01:16:20 am »

I think he was a guy who chooses fonts for a living.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 06:22:52 am »

What was his day job, when he had one?
I always assumed (perhaps naively) that he had been a usability engineer.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 06:36:17 am »

Quality pull, Rowboat.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up