Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storytelling  (Read 2364 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Storytelling
« on: December 01, 2009, 07:39:36 pm »

Evidently storytelling has become some kind of performance art thing people are doing now. I went to this thing in nyc and there were otherwise normal people who got up and just told the best (ostensibly true) story they could think of given the vague topic. I don't know how long this has been a thing people do, but there are plenty of youtube results for "storyslams" or whatever. Example: This guy won one for his story about a pregnancy scare. Most of them are funny, but some of them are just emotional like one I heard from a woman who was in an abusive relationship.
Anyone else been to one of these things?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:46:50 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Storytelling
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:48:08 pm »

That strikes me as basically a standup routine with a very narrow theme and no segueways.

That's not what "storytelling" means to me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Storytelling
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:53:46 pm »

What would happen if you stood up and told the story of Perseus and Medusa, all acting out the part with the witches sharing an eyeball and creeping around backwards holding an imaginary shield?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Storytelling
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 08:09:18 pm »

Anyone else been to one of these things?

I haven't been to "one of those things," but we often have "artcar storytime" when we all get together as friends for a dinner or something.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Storytelling
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 08:26:20 pm »

ive seen one of henry rollins' live DVDs.  the conversation pit was not that super.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Storytelling
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 08:41:46 pm »

It sounds awfully pretentious.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Storytelling
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 08:52:22 pm »

They play stuff from these on various NPR shows. I typically enjoy them. This one was on the other day:
http://thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1328
Quote
Act Two. It Was a Dark and Smoky Night.

Jenifer Hixson tells the story of walking alone at night, and meeting a woman who was out for the very same reason. Jenifer performed the story live in front of an audience at the storytelling series The Moth. (9 1/2 minutes)

I also liked the Harlem Cowboy story I heard on The Moth radio hour a while back:
http://www.themoth.org/listen
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Storytelling
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 08:52:48 pm »

It sounds awfully pretentious.
Eh. I guess maybe. Its just people telling stories, its not like they have anything substantial to gain and I didnt feel like they were the kind of people who scream for attention, which is exactly what i feel like from most performers.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Storytelling
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 08:54:18 pm »

They play stuff from these on various NPR shows. I typically enjoy them. This one was on the other day:
http://thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1328I also liked the Harlem Cowboy story I heard on The Moth radio hour a while back:
http://www.themoth.org/listen
We were listening to NPR at the same exact time (I was driving back from DC Sunday)? That's the abusive relationship story I mentioned earlier. I couldnt find it online.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Storytelling
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 10:56:02 pm »

Most of the storytelling stuff on NPR comes from a non-profit called The Moth. I subscribe to their podcast, it's usually interesting.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Storytelling
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 12:57:35 pm »

They play stuff from these on various NPR shows. I typically enjoy them. This one was on the other day:
http://thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1328I also liked the Harlem Cowboy story I heard on The Moth radio hour a while back:
http://www.themoth.org/listen
Just listened again on the way to work. Man that was a good story. Can't not have a cigarette though.
(Also the chicfilA chick is adorable.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:05:04 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up