Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes  (Read 5941 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« on: December 03, 2009, 02:06:18 pm »

Buying condoms makes you think about Circumstances

Also, did Beef just discard the condoms after he bought them?  The last panel is a little fuzzy.

Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:16:27 pm »

Such profound observations to come out a buying a box of condoms. Which maybe are the most life-affirming thing he will see all day.

There are a dozen thread titles and/or phrases that deserve a long life in this:

Daikon club.
Scream out from a pile of sundries like a mandrake root
Everything short of a shotgun in the mouth.
Etc.



You know, it is really OK with me if he only posts every couple of weeks if it's this good. I mean, my favorite writers only come out with a new book once a year, and I have to pay for that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:42:42 pm »

Did beef/Onstad just make a Harry Potter reference?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 03:02:42 pm »

Yeah, I have no idea what's going on the last panel.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 03:04:20 pm »

I think it's mouth-steam, to indicate that it is cold outside.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:45:59 pm »

Where is there a Harry Potter reference in this?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

milhouse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:10:40 pm »

Where is there a Harry Potter reference in this?
Cut from wiki-
In J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the mandrake root is cultivated by Professor Sprout to cure the petrification of several characters who had looked indirectly into the eyes of the Basilisk; the author makes use of the legend of the mandrake's scream (see above), and anyone tending mandrakes wears earmuffs to dull the sound of the scream, if the plant must be transplanted.
Logged
Three mute birds, walking in procession,

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:17:07 pm »

The idea that a mandrake root screams when you pull it up pre-dates Harry Potter, I think.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 09:40:25 pm »

I have never been so surprised at anything on this board. This is usually a group of people who are familiar with a wide range of obscure information. The screaming mandrake root WAY predates Harry Potter. Like centuries if not millenia.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 11:01:48 pm »

I do like how his imaginary conversations are exactly like the conversations with townspeople in Zelda 2.

"I am Error."

"In what sense? Like, are you an error in the programming or in the sense that your life has Not Worked Out?"

"I am Error."

"Ahhhhhhhhh, in a larger philosophical sense, being a part of the human race is being part of an error..."

"I am Error."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 11:14:37 pm »

Also, did Beef just discard the condoms after he bought them?
Echoing several others, I think it's just his breath in the cold Achewood night. I kind of wish he was tossing them away in disgust, though. I think that would've been an interesting ending.

By the way, I have heartily fived* every single comic since the end of the Korean magical realism arc. Just like last year, Onstad seems to have saved his best for last.

* - Over on assetbar, to rate a strip a "five" is to like it as much as you possibly can like it.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 11:53:33 pm »

And I thought y'all were referring to the Diakon Club because that the super secret street in the Harry Potter world, but no, that's actually Diagon Alley.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 12:08:19 am »

You just skim my posts, don't you?

I read your post but I had no idea what you were referring to till milhouse's post, because I saw no Harry Potter reference in the strip. There is zero association in my mind between mandrake roots and Harry Potter.  It's no more likely than if the strip referred to, I don't know, train stations, that my mind would immediately leap to Harry Potter.

I mean, I was pretty sure you weren't talking about condoms, but otherwise I had no clue.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 12:12:21 am »

Diagon Alley.

I actually did a facepalm with that clicked with me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 12:32:03 am »

Yeah, I guess I'm not up on my mythical roots and herbs, because HP is the first place I ever heard of mandrake root.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up