Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Janis Joplin biopic  (Read 4537 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Janis Joplin biopic
« on: December 04, 2009, 03:56:35 pm »

Heard last night that Zooey Deschanel is slated to portray Janis Joplin in an upcoming biopic. Am I the only one who thinks that this is a completely insane casting decision? For one thing, Deshanel is hot. Janis Joplin....well, I hear that she had an "inner beauty." Also, I can't think of two less compatible voices. Joplin had the otherworldly whiskey growl. Deschanel sounds like a penis. I mean, I enjoyed the She & Him album and I realize that for a hipster she has an amount of soul. But that's gonna be stretch.

Anyway, whether or not the film is any good (and really, when are these kinds of films ever good?), if she even comes close to pulling it off my hat's off to her.

In addition to my pants.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 04:07:11 pm »

I think this film, like the 3 Star Wars "prequels" and the second and third Matrix movies, will be added to my list of movies I'm going to pretend don't exist.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 04:31:09 pm »

the real kicker is that it torpedoes the shinehart universal janis joplin pic starring jenna maroney from TGS
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:35:06 pm »

I thought that movie was about Jackie Jormp-Jomp.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 04:52:35 pm »

I wonder if I was getting some cosmic vibes over this.  I had a very strong urge to listen to Janis Joplin yesterday evening.  I listened to all of my favorite songs for about 2 hours.

I googled Zooey Deschanel, she is hot although she has a freakishly large head, but in my opinion Janis Joplin was pretty damn hot too.  Maybe you're put off by the clothes she wore or her big ass frizzy head of hair.

And it's funny you should mention Deschanel's small squeaky voice.  One of my favorite bits of Janis Joplin is the very beginning of her live album.  She steps up to the mic and says something to one of her bandmates  in her normal voice and it's just this tiny voice.  And then she launches into Down on Me and it's this huge lions roar.

Anyway, haven't they already made a Janis Joplin Biopic.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 05:38:07 pm »

the real kicker is that it torpedoes the shinehart universal janis joplin pic starring jenna maroney from TGS

Those bastards.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 06:07:48 pm »

the real kicker is that it torpedoes the shinehart universal janis joplin pic starring jenna maroney from TGS
Exactly. But wasnt it like Yanis Yoplin or something?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:41:29 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:35:33 pm »

I wonder if I was getting some cosmic vibes over this.  I had a very strong urge to listen to Janis Joplin yesterday evening.  I listened to all of my favorite songs for about 2 hours.


It must be synchronicity.  I was watching the Biography on Janis last night.  Then it got too sad and I had to turn it off.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:46:21 pm »

....in my opinion Janis Joplin was pretty damn hot too.  Maybe you're put off by the clothes she wore or her big ass frizzy head of hair.

Anyway, haven't they already made a Janis Joplin Biopic.
It's kinda personal, actually. She's a dead ringer for an aunt of mine and that's a pretty huge and immediate turnoff. Though, if she was good enough for Mr. Cohen, who am I to talk shit?

I always saw The Rose on the shelf at the library but never knew it was a Joplin biopic. Midler seems like a much better casting choice. Might have to check it out sometime.

I'm OK with this one
I'll grant you that it was above average, as was The Buddy Holly Story (the common thread I suppose being that both lead men did all their own vocals and did them damn well). But "average" for these types of movies is so low that that isn't really saying a whole lot.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 07:08:49 pm »

I always saw The Rose on the shelf at the library but never knew it was a Joplin biopic. Midler seems like a much better casting choice. Might have to check it out sometime.

It's a fictionalized biopic.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 08:53:40 pm »

I'm sorry, but Janis was hot naked (NSFW).

And also, make-up and vocal training are both easy tools of the film makers trade, so I see no problem here.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:18:13 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 09:53:14 pm »

no need to be sorry about that, sideshow.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 11:04:05 pm »

Yeah, I'd say that though Joplin was by no means a conventionally pretty woman or anything, there was something sexy about her in a gritty instinctive kind of way.

An animal grace, maybe.

Whereas Zooey is almost the exact opposite, so pretty and petite and doll-like that she's almost not sexy at all, she's so childlike and fragile and insubstancial that you almost can't imagine having sex with her. Like if you were able to talk her size-zero hipster jeans off, all you'd find is blank peach-coloured plastic and a sticker that says "Mattel" down there.

In opposition to Janis Joplin where, like, she didn't exactly have a face for nail-polish ads, if you got those jeans off, there would definitely be a super-rocking hippie bush and a pu$$y that knew some AWESOME tricks.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 11:06:17 pm »

ok lfm i have no idea what's wrong with you but zooey? totally effable. totally, insanely, trilliany effable.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Janis Joplin biopic
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 11:15:57 pm »

I would eff Zooey.  I would eff Janis.  Both have an essential brokenness about them that is attractive in it's way.  Plus because I associate with her mother having been in Twin Peaks, I imagine she's got some understanding of the dark and twisty things too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up