Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Holiday Music  (Read 10716 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Holiday Music
« on: December 04, 2009, 04:49:17 pm »

What are some of your favorite holiday recordings?

I'm a huge fan of Eurythmics' "Winter Wonderland" and Bon Jovi's "Please Come Home for Christmas."

Also: "Santa Claus and His Old Lady" (Cheech and Chong) and the perennial favorite, "Alice's Restaurant." 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 05:39:51 pm »

My roommate 2nd year listened to Alice's Restaurant once. I'd never heard it before or since and I'm perfectly happy with this arrangement.

I usually listen to Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses once or twice in December.

I listen to Santa's Beard by TMBG whenever so that's not really holiday music.
Logged

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 05:40:53 pm »

I hate them all except for Nat King Cole.  "The Christmas Song" and "O Holy Night" FTW.  (when did I become 75 years old?)

Also, the biggest fuck*ng fail ever belongs to Dominic the Christmas Donkey.  Watch only if you want to rip your own eardrums out by their roots.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 05:48:11 pm »

"Merry Christmas From The Family" by Robert Earl Keen is every bit the drunken romp that the title implies.

Love him or hate him, Sufjan Stevens' Christmas box set is pretty unbeatable.  Funky takes on old standards, plus new material that's alternately haunting and joyous.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 06:04:49 pm »

giraffebone's "Slick Nick You Devil You" is my favorite.  Also partial to Death Cab's version of "Christmas Baby Please Come Home."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 06:15:03 pm »

Aimee Mann's album "One More Drifter In the Snow" is my Christmas cd this year. Specifically "Calling On Mary". Also I have depression.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 06:17:02 pm »

A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector is still the only really good Christmas album I've ever heard, though David Bowie and Bing Crosby's "Little Drummer Boy" and, of course, Jingle Cats bear mention.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 07:34:26 pm »

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 07:51:14 pm »

David Bowie and Bing Crosby's "Little Drummer Boy"

Aaargh, I'm mad at myself for forgetting that one.  It's a beautiful song.  Does anyone else get the feeling that Bing was staring at this androgynous mod wondering what the hell the world was coming to? 
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 07:54:33 pm »

The Bob Dylan Christmas album

The Ringo Starr Christmas album

and the greatest Christmas song of all time: Takin' Care of Christmas by Randy Bachman
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 08:04:50 pm »

I just downloaded a duet between Wyclef Jean and Stevie Wonder singing "Merry Christmas, Baby."

Epic.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 03:03:01 am »

TSO is pretty epic.

also, why come nobody ever told me andrea bocelli is blind?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 03:03:37 am »

Fuck. How could I have forgotten "Christmas in Hollis?" What have I become?
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 04:48:08 am »

why come nobody ever told me andrea bocelli is blind?

she is?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 05:25:48 am »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up