Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Darkness  (Read 2271 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
The Darkness
« on: December 08, 2003, 06:11:09 pm »

"I Believe in A Thing Called Love"

Am I supposed to laugh or not?

SOMEONE (preferably from the UK) PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO THINK.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The Darkness
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 06:37:41 pm »

I think the answer is yes.
They are somewhat a serious parody.
From what I've seen and heard of them, they're just having fun in the style of hair metal.
I find them quite amusing, in a 'I don't have to get rid of it immediately' way. Which feels wrong.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
The Darkness
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 06:42:45 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I think the answer is yes.
They are somewhat a serious parody.


That is the part that is like living with bees in my head: they are a joke and they are also not a joke. Damn catchy and fun at any rate (sorta like something Zappa would do, now that I think about it...).

I am having similar problems with The Polyphonic Spree, but there it's "is this just for fun or step one of a new ecstatic death cult?"
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The Darkness
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 07:01:14 pm »

Upon further thought (having eaten), yes you are supposed to laugh. But enjoy at the same time.
I half saw a gig they did last night on TV, and they had interviews and stuff, and they were saying that they take it very seriously, but not themselves. They're just out to have fun. And hopefully make everyone else have fun.
And if you look at what the guy wears!!! How can you not be supposed to laugh at that!

I am yet undecided what I think of them. But I reckon, well, they're kind of fun, and they're not painful to experience. And it's better than all the goddamned fuck*ng pop bullshit we have going on over here at the moment.
UK pop really hurts!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Darkness
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 08:21:53 pm »

I can totally respect a band that's out to have some fun in a cheesy genre. Honestly, I'd rather just take a band that's enjoying itself over five "well, we're thinking about our artistic integrity" bands any day.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Darkness
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 10:03:04 pm »

My 12 year old nephew is in a band and they enjoy themselves greatly, but I don't think anybody would want to buy their record.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

reigunred

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
The Darkness
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 08:31:47 pm »

Plus that guy's falsetto is amazing.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Darkness
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 09:30:23 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
My 12 year old nephew is in a band and they enjoy themselves greatly, but I don't think anybody would want to buy their record.

Time for the traditional anecdotal-evidence rebuttal: I have a demo tape given to me by a few friends of mine at about age 14, when they were very much in a "get together and fiddle with some instruments" band phase. It probably doesn't compare musically with, say, Animalicious, but I treasure it and would buy any more work that they had released.

Admittedly, I had a raging, soul-rending crush on the drummer for about three years, but work with me.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up