Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).  (Read 5453 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 04:58:59 am »

like i said on facebook, i will not experience any drastic differences in the new year, but i will continue to slowly get better at life, the universe, and everything.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 08:48:19 am »

2009 was pretty rocking for me actually, good times at uni, enough work to keep me in 2 minute noodles, a moderate amount of ladies and plenty of travel. In fact if for 2010 I could swap the ratio of travel to ladies I would be pretty content.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 09:31:31 am »

There's a joke about frequent flier miles in there somewhere...
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 10:28:28 am »

2009, for me, was a bit like slamming my head into a brick wall over and over and over again...

And then, when I finally figured out to stop, the brick wall decided to take the lead and start slamming itself into my head over and over and over again.

Here's hoping for something better this time around.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 04:43:16 pm »

In 2009 I kicked life's ass. In 2010 Intend to squeeze it by the balls. Tough cookies if I fail and it bites my friggin head off.

Those of you with a tough year? Pax. The grinding wheel does spin about.

THIS
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 04:50:24 am »

I had a good year. I like my friends, I loved paris, i like my classes, and my girlfriend is the best thing/person/event ever. Grades were crappy, which was disappointing. My resolutions going into next year are the same as always: don't fuck up your grades, man.

in the next year my primary goal, though, is to get a job and pay bills and not have to live in my parent's house.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 07:14:12 am »

in the next year my primary goal, though, is to get a job and pay bills and not have to live in my parent's house.

The best thing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 03:28:51 pm »

It seems I can't judge my life objectively. 2009 was more of the same tedious overbearing grind with few dim yays interspersed. Things which seemed to be perpetualy on the verge of becoming great, but never did. So - a tantalizing year, maybe?

I hope 2010 is a strange, incomprehensible year.

Also: I need to move out and start living alone. But I might not have the funds to do that. We'll see.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 04:26:14 pm »

2009 brought the end of los angeles and the return to atlanta, so for that i give it a pass. let's just say 2009 was way better than 2007, and sheesh i hope the tens are better than the ohs.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 04:28:18 pm »

So far in 2010 I got a flat tire and another that looks really low on air and the front desk of my building lost a package and doesn't even know if it was for me or my roommate.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 04:29:13 pm »

nowhere to go but up, right cort?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 08:46:36 pm »

So far in 2010 I sort of got fired from my most important gig, except that they want me to hurry up and totally revise for tomorrow the thing I sent last week and still do the next story I had scheduled and keep sending them story pitches and not bother them checking if they still want to the old story pitches, just assume they want what they have already approved.

Since my editor's usual way of approving story topics was:
1. I send her a schedule of story topics
2. I get no response to the email
3. I go ahead and write more or less the stories listed on the original schedule, which it often turns out that she never read

I am not at all sure what this is going to mean.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 09:53:07 pm »

I am not at all sure what this is going to mean.
No pay?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 09:56:17 pm »

for me in 2009:

worst:
x got permanently laid off in may
x i make even less money on unemployment than when i was working
x all my moving plans are in the effing toilet now and im stuck again
x i had to take lots of medium bites out of my savings and they are now slim to none

best:
x started going to school to get my associates in multimedia/technical whatever
x not having a job means i can dedicate most all of my time to studies
x unemployment seems to cover all my bases and i have everything i need and enough extry to not feel like a loser(all the time).
x my friends have been really amazing to me and i even have been talking to old friends
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to 2010, good-bye 2009! (the "taking stock" thread).
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 10:12:28 pm »

No pay?

See, under normal working relationships, that would be the case. It would be story pitch email not answered = they don't want story = no pay.

But they are so insane that I am not sure I won't instead get an email asking why I haven't sent them the story I said I'd write in the email I sent asking if they wanted the story that they never answered.

And so far, as more and more cutbacks have occurred, the need to do more with less has NOT had the effect of making them MORE organized and communicative, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up