Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"  (Read 8184 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« on: January 07, 2010, 10:20:33 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01072010

To be honest, I got no idea with this one.

I have not and am not paying money to see AVATAR as anytime anyone says "oh, the characters and the plot and the writing aren't the POINT, it's a SPECTACLE" about a film, a little box is checked off in my head that says "no, not for this guy, sorry" so... I mean... maybe it's funnier if you have seen the film?

I kind of hope there's more to this other than a stale gay panic joke, I dunno what it would be, though.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 10:36:39 am »

You're right. There's nothing there but the 3D thing, and the 3D thing gets old in 15 minutes. Then you have to endure 2 hours of drool-drippingly tacky shit. Strip's ok, though?
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:41:18 am »

For me the gag isn't Roast Beef, it's how Teodore is so into his artistic re-enactment that he's completely oblivious to how uncomfortable Beef is.

Specifically, the punchline is 'Laaaaaa'.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:21:22 pm »

I haven't seen the movie (and won't) but this made me giggle. Poor Beef, and you don't have to know much about the movie to know that he is right, T really had an awful lot of other choices, what is his problem?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:07:36 pm »

oh dear lord.  I saw Avatar about a week ago, and yes the big blue alien sex scene was a head-scratcher.  Pretty much the LAST part of that movie I wanted to see re-enacted on Roombas.  Beef, I feel your pain.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 02:22:49 pm »

I was going to complain about another "current events" strip, but then I saw the B.O. gross for Avatar.  I'm gonna have to deal with little blue trick-or-treaters from now until I'm 50, aren't I?
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 02:33:50 pm »

Will there be Avatar/Smurfs fanfic, do you think?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 10:33:10 pm »

The flower is supposed to stand in for the sacred tree. And during the Na'vi mating process, they touch head tentacles and communicate psychically, and they call it "two becoming one" or something cliched like that. So the fact that Beef has gotten off of his Roomba and is on Teodor's stands for that. Basically they're fuck*ng in front of a tree because the tree belongs to a goddess.

Also, Papyrus.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 10:53:14 pm »

Me too and I was actually thinking of seeing this movie.  I may need to rethink this.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 12:45:15 am »

I wasn't a fan.  If you spend $500 million on a movie, I shouldn't be sitting there in the middle of it looking at my watch bored out of my skull.

Also, for all the hype about the 3-D and special effects, the best looking shot of the film was a chest-level shot of a sweaty Michelle Rodriguez running in a tight shirt, which probably could have been done for a lot cheaper.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 08:19:18 am »

Yeah, it looked wonderful and it's a great technical achievement but you know exactly what the story is already. My favourite comparison so far has been Fern Gully. There are some quality action sequences by the end though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 03:53:46 pm »

monomyth
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 06:30:01 pm »

the best looking shot of the film was a chest-level shot of a sweaty Michelle Rodriguez running in a tight shirt

It took me a minute to realize that Michelle Rodriguez was a real actor, not a CGI re-creation.  In a movie full of computer-generated ten-foot-tall blue aliens with cat faces and fiber-optic ponytails, she somehow managed to be the least human character.

I wanted to resist this movie, like I managed to resist Titanic.  "OMG IT WAS EXPENSIVE TO MAKE" doesn't motivate me to see a film.  But I went because the lure of a 3D movie was more appealing than an afternoon at home in the snow (I'd had seven straight days off due to holidays, mind) so I went for it.  For most of the movie, I didn't care about the actors or where we were in the plot: I was more interested in the quality of the animation.  I'm glad James Cameron was such a douche about detail because it may result in more/better access to digital fx and physics models in other applications.
Logged

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 06:56:28 pm »

The more I learn about Avatar, the more I fear that people in a lab somewhere are dedicated to creating exactly what I never want to see.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 06:57:29 pm »

Apparently, I'm going to see this movie in 3-D this weekend.

The Spouse has decreed it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up