Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixtape 2010  (Read 20870 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2010, 10:35:18 pm »

I made my own disc sleeves out of the back pages from the local indy newspaper.   I was putting the disc in their containers for mailing and I noticed an ad for the band Akron/Family coming to a local bar.  That name seemed vaguely familiar to me.  I puzzled over that for a couple of days until I put on Doc's mix today and was reminded that they appear on it.  Yay!  Oh no, the concert was last month.  Boo!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2010, 05:53:24 pm »

Matapedia
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2010, 03:44:33 am »

Nachtmystium!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2010, 04:46:57 pm »

I got my Wombat discs today too (plural!), voices in wombat's head is getting some great play, TMBG and BNL were always going to go down well in this household but I'm digging the springsteen more than I thought and 'All men are liars' and 'you were only fuck*ng' are awesomely catchy. Going to let this one digest a bit before I crack open disc 2.

I reviewed Wombat's first mixdisc here.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2010, 09:43:31 pm »

Nachtmystium!

Yeah, I figured there aren't too many black metal songs out there with sing-along choruses.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2010, 04:47:56 am »

lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n' roll
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2010, 05:12:33 am »

Yeah, I figured there aren't too many black metal songs out there with sing-along choruses.

I had an old friend from high school pay me a visit on Friday.  We were kicked back listening to jams like in the old days, lots of Zeppelin.  I said "I have this mixdisc you might like, it rocks."  I had to explain what a mixdisc was and why some imaginary person from the internet had sent me one.  I think he finally got it, not sure.  So we put it on at top volume and jammed it all the way through.  Nachtmystium really kicked that ass the most though, no doubt. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2010, 10:54:30 pm »

Nachtmystium!
The band? I went to high school with a guy in that band. I wonder if they ever fully jettisoned the racism.

Disclaimer: I didn't actually know the guy (lead singer), although I did have a music theory class with him. I was told by a mutual acquaintance (a friend of mine) that the dude held racist views. I see that this has been a Thing that they've had to contend with during their career.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:03:23 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2010, 04:48:24 am »

I didn't know about that.

After a few minutes of internet research, it looks like they once upon a time released a record on a label associated with the NSBM (National Socialist Black Metal) movement. They deny all ties to NSBM, and claim it was merely a marriage of convenience. They're with a different label now. I'm inclined to believe them.

As somebody who likes this genre of music/screeching/whatever I find the race issue to be troublesome. I certainly don't intentionally support anyone that advocates a white supremacist position, but I won't deny them the freedom to do their thing. Kind of goes against free speech and the purpose of the music in the first place.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2010, 05:20:34 am »

The band? I went to high school with a guy in that band. I wonder if they ever fully jettisoned the racism.

That's a shame.  Anyway, I don't know anything about them other than this one track on Leprechaun's mix rocks out like a mother fucker.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2010, 02:30:22 pm »

nachtmystium=black metal skrewdriver?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2010, 06:12:46 am »

All of my disc are finally in the mail.  You should be receiving a copy soon if you've requested it.

So who all has/is doing this?  I've received 4 most excellent disc thus far from LPRKN, WOMBAT, DOC, AND GREENKOOLAYD.

I hope there are more.  I am always interested in hearing new musical sounds.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:49 pm »

I am still working on sending some out, if anyone wants, let me know.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2010, 02:43:45 pm »

doc and leprechaun are pretty far from each other on the musical spectrum, yet there are bits from both mixes that are included in my tastes.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Mixtape 2010
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2010, 02:16:05 am »

Just got Paul's. I'm digging the album art, I just hope that's not how your kitchen table/counter looks all the time. :P
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up