I'm going to be visiting your fare city soon. Did I mention this?
fair
Oh my gods. I'm glad I learned today that nuclear pharmacy is a thing. That is amazing.
nuclear pharmacology
Hot, yes. Dry, not at all. Well out West Texas it's kindly dry, but not around these parts.
in the winter it can be cold. When it is humid and cold at the same time, you may wish that you were dead.
My one and only time in Texas was one time I drove into the state from Louisiana. Was taking my dad to see a doctor there. So at one point I go out for Chinese takeout. I walk into some Chinese fast food restaurant. The place was packed. And I am the only white person at all. There was one person who was maybe part white, but that was it. I was like, wow. I never seen this, not even in New Orleans. Probably the first time I been the only white person anywhere since Africa.
My impression of Houston: 5hit. Nothing personal, but suburban sprawl is 5hit. Tucson is the same. Haven't been to Phoenix, but I imagine it's the same. I hear Flagstaff is good. I really liked the novel Red Sky at Morning. It's set in New Mexico I believe. up in the mountains. I remember reading that book.. maybe it wasn't long enough to be a novel.. it was more of a medium story... similar length as Catcher In The Rye, and similar feeling to it. Critics likened it to Catcher In The Rye. And anyway, I remember reading that book in my younger years, and it's a memory of not really having much of an idea of what the hell was going on, only that it was intense. But then, that's the bipolar experience in general.
Well I guess I was in Phoenix once. I guess I had missed the last plane in Tucson, so I took a bus to Phoenix, wrote out my plane ticket on the way, when the bus got there, ran in.. brand new airport to me... must orient quickly.. which direction is the ticket counter... up the escalator... found it. handed over my ticket. and my bag. absolutely last minute. apologized for this. As I recall she wasn't irked the way the airline employees sometimes would be. boom, ran to the gate, down the walkway, last person on the flight. amazingly, somehow my bag made it on the flight. That was one of the many times I took a flight without anyone checking my ID. In a rush, so they forgot, or didn't bother. I had an employee airline ticket, after all, so I must be legit. The airline only handed them out like candy. When I finally left the company, I had about a hundred. I tend to hoard things, especially things that could potentially be uniquely useful. Was there any chance I would ever have a chance to use an illegal airline ticket with my name and employee ID# imprinted on it? Probably not. Was there a chance I would need a hundred of them? Less likely. But of course, this was mostly before 9/11. Like that one time I packed a giant TV. This was after my grandma died, I think, and me and my uncle were clearing out her storage locker. She had this giant Sony TV, giant even by today's standards. It weighed a ton. I packed it up. (Did I mention I tend to hoard) So I packed it... in cardboard... it was a lot of work... showed up at the airport with it... It was work to get it to the ticket counter. They weighed it. They told me no go. it was too big or too heavy. It would have to go air freight. Air freight was in a different building. I didn't have time for that. It would probably cost money too. So what to do what to do what to do.. I mean.. you shouldn't just leave a huge ass TV in a box laying around an airport. Someone's gonna have to pick it up. it would be inconsiderate. So I took it to lost and found. I asked them if I could loose it there. They hemmed and hawed a bit and then decided sure why not. I was a bit chagrined to have to abandon the TV, but simultaneously, my hoarding instinct had been satiated by the fact of having given it a good shot. And now I knew that there were size and weight limits on domestic luggage. Who would have guessed.
Anyway. flying has gone downhill. I now would drive if it is under 1000 miles.
I think a good indicator of quality of life in a state would be the degree of urban sprawl.