Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Fooled By Coldplay  (Read 20208 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« on: December 10, 2003, 03:26:25 pm »

I bought the latest Coldplay disc with the big hit single on it and it is really dreadful.  I guess it was wishful thinking that it would be actually good, but i've been longing for some good music to enter the mainstream.  Even the hit single, which I had only heard snippets of, isn't that good.  It's gotta nice hook, but that's about the only bright spot.  After one listen I was bored with it.  The rest of the album is just plain bad.  My first impression was it's 'Muse light.'

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 03:59:00 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
The rest of the album is just plain bad.  My first impression was it's 'Muse light.'

~Paul


Indeed, that's pretty much the conclusion I came to.
The hook, well, is the entire fuck*ng song... What the hell?
Muse on the other hand I do quite like, and on further inspection they look fuck*ng rad live! Which is quite something for a band I, you know, quite like.

But back to Coldplay...
I really dislike them. What I think I dislike more is the fuck*ng hype. They're everywhere. And now everything American, which I though could be imported to us sans Coldplay, now features... fuck*ng Coldplay.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 04:08:44 pm »

Are we talking about A Rush of Blood to the Head here, or do they have a new album out?

If the former, I like it OK.  Not the greatest thing ever, but listenable.  I like "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face."  I liked "Clocks" until it popped up every-freakin-where.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 09:40:41 pm »

Eh.  A lot of my indie-rocker buddies are into Coldplay, but I could never really dig the dumb twinkly guitars... I just dont think their whole faux-80s thing works too well.  Not that I remember much of the 80s.  It's really all just conjecture on my part.
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 09:52:06 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Indeed, that's pretty much the conclusion I came to.
The hook, well, is the entire fuck*ng song... What the hell?
Muse on the other hand I do quite like, and on further inspection they look fuck*ng rad live! Which is quite something for a band I, you know, quite like.

But back to Coldplay...
I really dislike them. What I think I dislike more is the fuck*ng hype. They're everywhere. And now everything American, which I thought could be imported to us sans Coldplay, now features... fuck*ng Coldplay.


That's the way it is these days.  A good band like Muse gets stiffed by America while Coldplay gets huge.  The same thing happened in the 90's.  shit bands Oasis and Bush were massive whereas the great Pulp never got noticed.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 10:14:50 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
shit bands Oasis and Bush were massive whereas the great Pulp never got noticed.

~Paul


Well. I never really rated Pulp either.
Yuo have to understand that the whole godawful BritPop thing just made me want to bury my head in asphalt.
I didn't want anything more of it! And Pulp were like the rebellious BritPoppers. Or, just as annoying but slightly smarter.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 10:19:14 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
shit bands Oasis and Bush were massive whereas the great Pulp never got noticed.

~Paul


Well. I never really rated Pulp either.
Yuo have to understand that the whole godawful BritPop thing just made me want to bury my head in asphalt.
I didn't want anything more of it! And Pulp were like the rebellious BritPoppers. Or, just as annoying but slightly smarter.


I agree.  Catherine Wheel crapped on all of the above-mentioned bands  - and let's drag Blur into this as well - from a height of several miles, and alls it got 'em was a hot cup of bargain bin.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Re: Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 10:31:54 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
... a hot cup of bargain bin.


You had better believe I'm working this awesome little choice of words into my lexicon, although it has more of a backhanded, you fuck*ng well deserved it, yes I'm looking at you, Linda Perry of Four Non-Blondes' ill-considered solo album feel to it, rather than you were criminally overlooked / underloved.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Re: Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 10:38:23 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
You have to understand that the whole godawful BritPop thing just made me want to bury my head in asphalt.
I didn't want anything more of it! And Pulp were like the rebellious BritPoppers. Or, just as annoying but slightly smarter.


The first thing I thought when I read this was hey now, I quite liked a lot of Britpop - and then immediately upon composing a response, I had to realize that, no, I really didn't. I just like Suede quite a bit, and my mind sort of filled in the blanks. The best thing about Pulp were Jarvis Cocker's interviews, for example.

The whole Britpop thing, especially here in the States, was just weird - I've seen bands I adore (like Lush and Saint Etienne) tarred quite unfairly with that particular brush. Okay, I admit, defending Lush's last album is a thankless and filthy task, but I'm up for it.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 10:58:58 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Limmo"
... a hot cup of bargain bin.


You had better believe I'm working this awesome little choice of words into my lexicon, although it has more of a backhanded, you fuck*ng well deserved it, yes I'm looking at you, Linda Perry of Four Non-Blondes' ill-considered solo album feel to it, rather than you were criminally overlooked / underloved.


Thanxabundle, Saint, but I do mean criminally overlooked/underloved.  

Maybe there needs to be another phrase, like hot cup of cramming-the-bins-at-SecondSpin, for ill-considered musical ventures.  

But let's leave Zwan out of this.  

ETA: and Coldplay too!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 11:01:07 pm »

We've been warned ya'll, we gotta stay on topic.  You must remember to mention  in your post how much Coldplay sucks.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 11:25:42 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

That's the way it is these days.  A good band like Muse gets stiffed by America while Coldplay gets huge.  The same thing happened in the 90's.  shit bands Oasis and Bush were massive whereas the great Pulp never got noticed.

Shameful confession: I rather like Bush, but only in the same way I like Green Day and power metal about dragons -- for really shameless, brainless angry-guitar fluff.

Back on-topic... Coldplay sort of just washed over me. I have no particular opinion one way or another, truth be told.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 11:31:46 pm »

There was the very odd bit of Bush off of Sixteen Stone that wasn't bad. But in general, they suck and Gavin Rossdale is a pretentious twat!

Oh, and don't worry about on topic here. As long as it's music it's all on topic.
I mean, you can't be expected to not discuss other music in a thread started about one band.
Or more, I can't be expected to, and I'm in charge, so there!

:smoke:
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 11:35:18 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Shameful confession: I rather like Bush, but only in the same way I like Green Day and power metal about dragons -- for really shameless, brainless angry-guitar fluff.


Mmmmm....power metal about dragons.  Yesssssssss.  Just thinking about it makes life better. Now I'm gonna have to go put in my Lost Horizon CD.

On-topic: All my musician friends raved about Parachutes when it came out, and I like the first few songs on it just fine, though the CD tends to see a lot more wear-n-tear in my wife's Honda.  

The aforementioned friends later said that Rush of Blood... was almost devoid of memorable songs, so I stayed away.  I liked that one commercial that that song was in.  Whatever that was.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Re: Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 11:37:29 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
... the same way I like Green Day and power metal about dragons -- for really shameless, brainless angry-guitar fluff.


Good grief, you would probably love Falconer. I had a friend once that had a straight-up irony-free love affair with this album. How many times can you be forced to listen to "Lord of the Blacksmiths" on a simple car trip to Whataburger? You'd be surprised!

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Coldplay sort of just washed over me.


I could not think of a better way to express The Coldplay Experience, so to speak. I picked it up (from the library, saving myself the proverbial Buck Or Two) and the cover art was all lovely and I'd heard the glowing Radiohead comparisons &c &c &c -

How did this band ever release a single? How does anyone ever manage to tell one song from the next? It's all just so... this is future Lite FM.

I also spotted a Tag Team / Coldplay mashup on Kazaa entitled "Whoomp! Clocks It Is". No fuck*ng idea as I didn't download it, and cannot even begin to imagine.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up