Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Fooled By Coldplay  (Read 20151 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2003, 05:16:14 pm »

At the risk of showing myself as the idiot, I do have Weird Al in rotation.  And Tenacious D, and Strong Bad Sings, and that entirely too big collection of videogame remixes I got from http://www.ocremix.org.  I like real music, but I tend to listen to silly meta-music instead.  I think it might be because I genuinely like listening to the mindless thumps that Nelly plays on the radio, but I don't care to listen to mindless lyrics unless the artist was aiming for mindless.  I can take Al's self-depricating "It's getting rotten here, you'd better hold your nose." a lot easier than Bon Jovi's straight faced "With an iron clad fist, I wake up and french kiss the morning."  I mean, come on.  How would that even work?

I like punk's clever lyrics, but I don't like it's annoying sound.  I guess I just have trouble getting into any music 'scene'.  They all just seem silly to me.  And the things I like listening to seem silly to everyone else.  I listen to musicals.  I love them.  I eat them right up.  When this one guy wants to kill this other guy so he can avenge his family and win back his girl, and then he decides to sing a song about it, that speaks to me.  Moreso than champagne supernovas and shaking things like polaroid pictures.

Am I musically illiterate?  I've been a bit overexposed to classic rock and have enough rap under my belt to feed a family of four. Are there genuinely great bands out there?  Bands that don't misspell words like biscuit and corn and demand to be taken seriously?
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2003, 05:26:32 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

Bands that don't misspell words like biscuit and corn and demand to be taken seriously?


Anything Josh Homme has ever worked on - Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Desert Sessions (particularly DS).
They don't try to be taken seriously. The lyrics are aimed at being fairly mindless, no punk messages here. And the music itself is taken seriously enough to be fuck*ng genius. And it's not always taken that seriously...
"Oh Honey I know that you can and will lick my doo" to the tune of odd circus music circa the 1930s as a secret track to the seminal (and I mean that in the  the-whole-damn-album-just-glides way) Welcome to Sky Valley.

But hey, I'm just, well, music is my life. I could just about cope without my computers (and they're the other half of my life, and connected to music in all but one way) if I could still have music and not be bothered by anything else.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2003, 05:49:09 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I just find it funny that AndrewWK tickets/CDs are constantly involved in radio station give aways even though I have never heard a single second of him actually on the radio.


My only experience listening to AWK was his appearance on SNL.  I thought what the bloody hell is this jackass doing jumping around the stage like that.  He's like a rock and roll Tigger.  And the music (if you can actually call it that) sounded like a f'n construction site.  I felt like i'd been assaulted.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2003, 05:53:07 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
At the risk of showing myself as the idiot, I do have Weird Al in rotation.  And Tenacious D, and Strong Bad Sings, and that entirely too big collection of videogame remixes I got from http://www.ocremix.org.  I like real music, but I tend to listen to silly meta-music instead.  I think it might be because I genuinely like listening to the mindless thumps that Nelly plays on the radio, but I don't care to listen to mindless lyrics unless the artist was aiming for mindless.  I can take Al's self-depricating "It's getting rotten here, you'd better hold your nose." a lot easier than Bon Jovi's straight faced "With an iron clad fist, I wake up and french kiss the morning."  I mean, come on.  How would that even work?

I like punk's clever lyrics, but I don't like it's annoying sound.  I guess I just have trouble getting into any music 'scene'.  They all just seem silly to me.  And the things I like listening to seem silly to everyone else.  I listen to musicals.  I love them.  I eat them right up.  When this one guy wants to kill this other guy so he can avenge his family and win back his girl, and then he decides to sing a song about it, that speaks to me.  Moreso than champagne supernovas and shaking things like polaroid pictures.

Am I musically illiterate?  I've been a bit overexposed to classic rock and have enough rap under my belt to feed a family of four. Are there genuinely great bands out there?  Bands that don't misspell words like biscuit and corn and demand to be taken seriously?


Pedro Picasso is my new internet crush.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2003, 06:03:33 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Are there genuinely great bands out there?  Bands that don't misspell words like biscuit and corn and demand to be taken seriously?


None that I'm aware of.  I think rock music will become to future generations what swing was to our parents' generation.  ( Especially since hip-hop seems to have swallowed the music world whole. )

I don't see anyone doing anything greater than offering variations on styles that have come before.  And frankly, that's fine with me.  There are entire universes of music waiting for me to discover them - in the realms of classical, jazz, country, etc. - and, well, if I've never heard it before, then it's new to me.   I can still listen to Mob Rules when I want to jump around.  

Coldplay.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2003, 06:15:57 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
My only experience listening to AWK was his appearance on SNL.  I thought what the bloody hell is this jackass doing jumping around the stage like that.  He's like a rock and roll Tigger.  And the music (if you can actually call it that) sounded like a f'n construction site.  I felt like i'd been assaulted.

~Paul


I saw the same show and agree with you completely.  AWK is for people who find AC/DC too cerebral.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2003, 06:24:34 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
I think rock music will become to future generations what swing was to our parents' generation.  ( Especially since hip-hop seems to have swallowed the music world whole. )

I don't see anyone doing anything greater than offering variations on styles that have come before.  And frankly, that's fine with me.  There are entire universes of music waiting for me to discover them - in the realms of classical, jazz, country, etc. - and, well, if I've never heard it before, then it's new to me.   I can still listen to Mob Rules when I want to jump around.


Pop music is the Borg.  Eventually (and it's already well underway) Hip-Hop will be fully assimilated.  Rock music will never become yestedays flavor because rock=pop.  Right now rock and hip-hop are having some platform issues, but it'll work itself out eventually.  I guess what i'm saying is Hip-Hop is rock music, it just hasen't realized it yet.

As for exploring other universes, man, that's what I live for.  Every so often I'll return home to the waiting arms of the music of my youth, but most of my time is spent abroad searching for that new sound to capture my heart.  I'm like a butterfly hunter on safari.  Of course the life of a safari hunter is fraught with pitfalls.  For every Fairport Convention or Ry Cooder (my latest new loves) you discover there are 100 Coldplays.

~Paul

Coldplay.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2003, 06:45:05 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9
Pop music is the Borg.  Eventually (and it's already well underway) Hip-Hop will be fully assimilated.  Rock music will never become yestedays flavor because rock=pop.  Right now rock and hip-hop are having some platform issues, but it'll work itself out eventually.


Wellllllllll...I agree with you, but by that time rock will have mutated into something that I don't want to listen to.  In fact, it already has.  

Being a wanky guitar geek, I subscribe to all the guitar magazines. And it seems like every month there's a new band that dresses like they're getting ready to go snowboarding, whines about the angst they're suffering at the mall, and couldn't find a hook if you threw them through the window of a fuck*ng tackle shop.  

Not that I long for the return of Dokken or anything, y'unnerstand, but I'm just going to wear my trousers rolled and listen to Fair Warning again.  Fine with me.

OK, I do long for the return of Dokken.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2003, 07:18:52 pm »

Props on Ry Cooder. Nice one.
Haven't listened to Fairport Convention in a loooooong time though. Might have to try them again, see how well they've aged.

As for Rock being Pop, I think only some is.
Well, OK, most of today's rock is. All the crap you get played on MTV is. And even some sneaks in that isn't pop, but appears it. It will however fade out of recognition in a couple of years and stop being pop.
That's why I like to note the difference by referring to poprock. Kind of like poprocks but without the unnerving fun (OK, as a kid at least).
Basically, I think any rock that is not striving to be now, and happnin', is not pop. There are a few bands around at the moment that are genuinely just making good music.
I do agree though, that most of the good music is a lot older. Most of the rock I listen to (except for the joyous Homme and Lanegan catalogues) is from pre 1990.
But if you listen to either Kyuss (Homme) or some of the Lanegan solo work (here for instance a superb session of four tracks live on Milan Radio - including two Lanegan originals (Sleep With Me and Mockingbirds) and a Neil Young (ick) cover - Cinnamon Girl and Johnny Cash - You Wild Colorado.) you will see that there is music some good rock that is not going for the dollar.
Ok Lanegan hasn't been entirely rock for most of his solo work, but Homme has, and Lanegan's new album is more rock that he has been prior.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2003, 07:20:33 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Pop music is the Borg.  Eventually (and it's already well underway) Hip-Hop will be fully assimilated.  Rock music will never become yestedays flavor because rock=pop.  Right now rock and hip-hop are having some platform issues, but it'll work itself out eventually.


Wellllllllll...I agree with you, but by that time rock will have mutated into something that I don't want to listen to.  In fact, it already has.


Me either, but someday (hopefully soon) a new musical savior* will come along to kick the money changers out of the temple ala Kurt Cobain.  Then he'll reinvent pop music and you'll be a happy top 40 listener once again.

Lest I sound like the stereotypical fuddy duddy bemoaning the sorry state of the music the kids listen to i'll point out there's a lot of current music I like.

~Paul

*It ain't The White Stripes or The Strokes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2003, 07:45:37 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
*It ain't The White Stripes or The Strokes.


Thank you for noticing!  It ain't Radiohead either.

I'd like to hope there's going to be a savior.  I'm not holding my breath. And, as you can tell, I don't mind sounding like a stereotypical fuddy duddy.

Don't own much Ry Cooder, but his playing in the Buena Vista Social Club movie was the most inspiring guitar playing I've heard in a long time.

Fairport Convention.  I need to get one of their records.  The Pentangle, too.

Coldplay?  Dokken?  I'm confused.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2003, 07:51:20 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
... if you listen to either Kyuss (Homme) or some of the Lanegan solo work you will see that there is music some good rock that is not going for the dollar.
Quote


I owned Kyuss' Welcome to Sky Valley for a while.  Never really grew on me, "Gardenia" excepted.  They seemed like the halfway point between Sonic Youth and Danzig.  ( No offense intended. )

Friends of mine swear by Lanegan's Whiskey for the Holy Ghost, but I've never warmed up to it.

But the last QOTSA record is great ( the first four tracks are, I've yet to make it past that point due to whiplash issues ), and I'm curious to hear this new Desert Sessions CD.

Coldplay. Danzig.  Dokken. Help.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2003, 08:07:51 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
But the last QOTSA record is great ( the first four tracks are, I've yet to make it past that point due to whiplash issues ), and I'm curious to hear this new Desert Sessions CD.


I've found, so far, only one other person who has really warmed to Lanegan.
I think Field Songs is possibly the album to try first. It's more accessible.
Songs for the Deaf is superb. Although in some ways, a few tracks aside, I think their previous two are even finer. The first album being very influenced by Canned Heat to me, which Josh's new side project - Eagles of Deathmetal helps prove realistic. It is described, by him, as 'Bluegrass stripclub music with canned heat vocals'. It's classy.

The new Desert Sessions disc is on solid rotation at the moment. Some stunning tracks on it. I Wanna Make It Wit Chu, is just... It's a song so good it makes me speechless. So I go put it on again and sing along.
Also, the new Lanegn record in February has PJ Harvery on too, whch I have been demanding in my head for a long time.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2003, 08:31:22 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Thank you for noticing!  It ain't Radiohead either.


Putting personal feelings aside, I agree with you.  I love Radiohead, but there are many who can't stand them.  The savior must be loved by all (or at least most).  Ultimately he'll be rejected, but not before his work is done.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2003, 08:42:44 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

The savior must be loved by all (or at least most).  Ultimately he'll be rejected, but not before his work is done.


I kind of dread the thought of liking someone everyone else likes, just because I know the awful cack that sells more than anything I listen to.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up