Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Fooled By Coldplay  (Read 20171 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2003, 04:35:52 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

I think this slipped past everyone.  I just wanted to point out that it gave me a chuckle.


As me. Though I did think there were far worse things I'd liek to do to the CD. But then it shouldn't even deserve that much attention!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2003, 04:38:24 pm »

In defense of Coldplay, they are much better than AWK.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2003, 05:02:27 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I think the creepiest thing about Andrew WK is his earnestness -- apparently he is the only one not in on the joke, despite his being the joke. He has an interview in The Tenacity of the Cockroach, the collected Onion A.V. Club interviews, in which he honestly appears to believe he is some sort of musical Messiah figure of rock. How does this even work? How can one think of oneself this way? Even Gene Freakin' Simmons manages more self-understanding than that.*

* So I'm exaggerating a little. One thing I will admire Gene Simmons for is that he appears to be entirely in on his own joke, and that I can respect.


I was totally into Kiss when I was 14 and I saw them in concert.  I got over them soon after that.  On their farewell tour (yeah right, somebody cue Dan Hicks How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away) I happened to be passing the venue in my car and caught sight of the kids waiting in line for the doors to open.  Except they weren't kids at all, they were mostly my age.  These are the same people who were digging them 25 years ago and never got over it.   I thought how weak is your mind that when you were a teenager and acquiring culture, this is as far as you got.  'No need to look any further, I've got Kiss now and that's all i'll ever need*'.  It was truely a depressing site because Kiss is still  huge.  That's a lot of people with arrested development.

~Paul

*That and AC/DC
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2003, 05:07:53 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

I was totally into Kiss when I was 14 and I saw them in concert.  I got over them soon after that.  On their farewell tour (yeah right, somebody cue Dan Hicks How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away

This reminds me of a suggestion by one of my friends: musicians, like furniture stores, should be held to their advertising. In other words, if you go on a "farewell tour," it actually has to be your last tour ever. Similarly, there would be a maximum time limit on farewell tours, to prevent "farewells" that take 25 years.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2003, 06:47:52 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
 I thought how weak is your mind that when you were a teenager and acquiring culture, this is as far as you got.  'No need to look any further, I've got Kiss now and that's all i'll ever need*'.  It was truely a depressing site because Kiss is still  huge.  That's a lot of people with arrested development.


I don't know, I thought about going in '96.  Largely because I never got to see them put on the full show illustrated in the foldout of KISS ALIVE II, the first record I ever bought.  However, by the time they rolled into town, I had read enough reports about how Gene and Paul financially raped everyone involved, from Ace and Peter down to the road crew, so I blew it off.  

And saw the Sex Pistols reunion instead.

When Kiss decided to just keep on going, however, I thought What are YOU still doing here?  Just take your money and go away.  

I agree with V: if you go on a farewell tour, that's it.  If you return for another farewell tour, your bus is destroyed by a Stinger missile while traveling from the Continental Airlines Arena to the National Car Rental Center.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2003, 08:03:09 pm »

Did anyone else find the "Family Guy" episode where they go to the KISS concert? Paul SO hit it on the head....where do they find 2XL "extra husky" Kiss costumes and Orthopedic Demon Boots? It's sad to see these extremely rounded heads trying to emulate the narrow and vertical  makeup these guys were wearing.

And although the chicks looked kind of hot in the 70's doing the KISS thing, now it's just - - well -- sad that they can't acknowledge the two great forces that work on us all. Time and Gravity.

Especially Gravity.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2003, 10:04:15 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "pmcd9"

I think this slipped past everyone.  I just wanted to point out that it gave me a chuckle.


As me. Though I did think there were far worse things I'd liek to do to the CD. But then it shouldn't even deserve that much attention!


You've warmed the cockles of my heart folks,  I just found it so funny that he couldn't bare to throw it out, he had to set it on the dumpster, not in it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2003, 10:06:45 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Did anyone else find the "Family Guy" episode where they go to the KISS concert....


The best part of that Family Guy is the "Kiss Saves Christmas" special that we get to see little bits of.

As for Coldplay, I did like Yellow, but nothing else that I've heard of them seems good.  And there's something so unappealing about the lead singer - he looks like someone I could beat up, and would probably enjoy beating up, even though I have few violent tendancies.  There just this certain quality - a smarmyness-that I find highly destracting and yet mediocre.  To me, Coldplay is the florescent light of music.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2003, 11:29:53 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
You've warmed the cockles of my heart folks,  I just found it so funny that he couldn't bare to throw it out, he had to set it on the dumpster, not in it.


The dumpster would've rejected it. Spit it right back out like those nude photos of Whoopie Goldberg.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2003, 11:56:08 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"

You've warmed the cockles of my heart folks,  I just found it so funny that he couldn't bare to throw it out, he had to set it on the dumpster, not in it.

I picture him having great, overblown dreams about how the CD will be taken in by good Samaritans and, over a long and eventful journey, will finally find its real family and be loved forever.

"I'm sorry, Andrew WK CD, I'm so sorry I couldn't love you the way you deserve... be free, be free!"
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2003, 08:56:01 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "side_show"

You've warmed the cockles of my heart folks,  I just found it so funny that he couldn't bare to throw it out, he had to set it on the dumpster, not in it.

I picture him having great, overblown dreams about how the CD will be taken in by good Samaritans and, over a long and eventful journey, will finally find its real family and be loved forever.

"I'm sorry, Andrew WK CD, I'm so sorry I couldn't love you the way you deserve... be free, be free!"


You are so very right, after placing the CD on the dumpster we went out for dinner and afterwards he insisted on checking to see if the CD had been claimed by some passing stranger and, indeed, it was gone.

We used to regularly put things on the dumpster just below our apartment with funny signs.  Last year we put a doorstop santa on the dumpster holding a sign that read "NOT SOILED!"   He was gone in less than 5 mins.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2003, 01:57:26 am »

Quote from: "side_show"

We used to regularly put things on the dumpster just below our apartment with funny signs.  Last year we put a doorstop santa on the dumpster holding a sign that read "NOT SOILED!"   He was gone in less than 5 mins.


Sweet.
I totally love doing things like that. I'd want to hook up a webcam so I could see it gettign taken, but it takes some of the fun and mysticism out of it.

I know have the image of a fat little Santa looking around him to check it's clear, before hopping down from atop the dumpster, to waddle off casually down the street, dropping his sign on the way.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2003, 02:28:27 am »

Quote from: "slink"


I know have the image of a fat little Santa looking around him to check it's clear, before hopping down from atop the dumpster, to waddle off casually down the street, dropping his sign on the way.


That's a great image!

Actually the reason I discarded him was because he was skinny and had long floppy limbs and creepy google eyes just like the guest strip by anon.  We peeked out our window as the car pulled up.  The Driver pointed at the santa, and he and Passenger had a brief conversation.  The Passenger got out grabbed the santa, and they drove away.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2003, 03:26:56 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
We peeked out our window as the car pulled up.  The Driver pointed at the santa, and he and Passenger had a brief conversation.  The Passenger got out grabbed the santa, and they drove away.

This is a priceless story.

I like the one about the dumpster CD getting taken, too. The sad thing is that it probably did go to a better home, as someone who would take a CD from on top of a trash can would probably enjoy Andrew WK more than the guy who put it there.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Fooled By Coldplay
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2003, 03:48:09 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
The sad thing is that it probably did go to a better home, as someone who would take a CD from on top of a trash can would probably enjoy Andrew WK more than the guy who put it there.


Ha, ha! But a guy who lives IN a dumpster would enjoy it even more.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up