I went into the train station with a girl this morning, and it was just your normal bleak Northern sky. When I left said station (without her) 5 minutes it was snowing. Extremely heavily. This was extremely strange but I guess it must be very important, some how. Nothing like movie-weather to possibly make certain things seem more than they really are.
Anyway. Snow.
Snow is a near-mythical substance back home, where we would only receive a couple of inches worth every few years. For that one day it settled I would literally go mental, flinging myself down slopes, engage in running snowball battles for hours and go all Calvin-and-Hobbes regarding snowmen.
Sheffield's a fair amount more snowy though, and the feeling I described above still remains, at times. When I'm out in the Peak District the sheer abundance of steep slopes, gullies etc. make the snow impossibly fun. The surface of Kinder Scout is best described as being like black Creme Brulee, so jumping around on it in the snow not only felt good but looked tasty.
Back in the city however the fun soon wears off. Sheffield's extremely hilly for a medium-sized English city and soon enough any minor incline becomes a death trap for your average student in their stupid Ugg boots or Converse trainers. Hence me breaking out the 6-point crampons and hiking boots to make it into an exam this year. Isn't crampon a funny word?
The sheer weirdness of Britain sometimes really comes through in the snow. Equal amounts of horror, joy, grumpiness, sheer bloody uselessness, sheer bloody-minded stubbornness.
Idiotic driving was everywhere, people just don't understand the seriousness of the conditions whilst at the same time a ridiculously exaggerated sense of disaster was propagated by the news channels desperate to create a climate of fear as usual. The nation that weathered the Blitz was at times was scarily weak-kneed in the face of half-frozen water, it's depressing that there is absolutely no space in the mind of the average British person that knows how to deal with weather like this even as it increasingly becomes a fact of life with the disappearance of the Gulf Stream.