Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subject was filled in.  (Read 2369 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Subject was filled in.
« on: January 17, 2010, 06:58:23 am »

Logged

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: Subject was filled in.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 07:31:04 am »

so anyway.  on a different subject.  I was talking to my roommate's friend, and his friend tells me that my roommate's visa expired about a year ago.

oh.  wow.  ya know.  my roommate kinda would sometimes seem to be kinda spacey in his decision making, like, for instance, doing stuff like deciding to be an illegal immigrant, and to illegally work as well...  So I mean, that's all well and good.  Lots of people do it.  But I think that most people who do it kinda understand the risks they are taking, and sorta accept those risks on a certain level.  Also, part of understanding and accepting risk is taking steps to mitigate risk.  And hey, look at me!  Right here!  I'm a US citizen!  I've lived in this country most of my life!  I read the papers!  I even know how to use Google to track down Osamma bin ladden or however his named is spelled (I'm often too lazy to use spell check.)  So don't ya think, since I'm right here, I'm the guy's roommate, don't ya think that maybe he would ask me for some advice on how, if not to solve his predicament in general, then at least ask for advice on how not to get caught?  Nope.  Never mentioned his predicament to me.  Never said a word.  I mean, at the very least I could have fired up GIMP and forged a copy of his authorization to work letter with a new non-expired date on it.  But I guess if you were planning ahead enough to consider getting forging paperwork, you also might even consider not breaking the law in the first place!  After all, if you don't break the law, then getting your visa renewed and eventually becoming a citizen is a lot easier... a whole lot easier...  What are you gonna do?  Jeopardize any chance of becoming a citizen in exchange for several months salary?  That's like a payday loan, only worse.

So, I'm in touch with his family, and they told me that he's going to request a public defender.... helllllooooo?  Again, has anyone seen reality?  Did anyone see which bus it got on?  Was it heading downtown or up 5th towards the waterfront?  Because I know someone who needs to catch that bus, like, yesterday. . . day before yesterday...

And the sad thing is, I trace this detachment from reality in large part to my roommate's indoctrination in Evangelical Christianity.  (should that be captitalized?)  And I'm not trying to be a troll or piss anyone off here when I say that, in case anyone here takes offense to that statement in one way or another.  I'm just saying that speaking praise and speaking positive words, yeah, I'm down with that, it's all good, but only to a point, and unfortunately, I believe that the indoctrination programmes of the various Evangelical leaders and institutions out there tend to land many of their followers perhaps a smidge too far on the wrong side of that line between reality and fantasy.  Reality is reality.  It doesn't go away when you close your eyes any more than your feet become invisible when you stand behind the drapes.  If we're going to be religious about it, maybe we can say that reality is like a challenge that God creates to test you with, and you should therefore not ignore that reality.  Excessive anxiety and negativity tends to be a self-fulfilling prophesy, this I do believe.  Whereas, Excessive optimism and positive thinking tends to have negative consequences, because reality is like a slow train comin' round the bend, to quote the Dylan song.  It is advisable to step out of the way.  But if we go by contemporary Evangelical teachings, Dylan's song 'slow train a comin' was speaking negativity and giving power over to the devil, rather than a prudent warning.

Anyway.  Watching my roommate self destruct over the course of the past few years has been kinda annoying, I guess.  I tend to gravitate towards people with problems.  No more.  From now on, all my new friends are going to be problem free. (link to Fugees  Mista Mista)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: Subject was filled in.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 09:34:21 pm »



Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Subject was filled in.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 05:32:01 am »

is this a reference to this? http://overcompensating.com/posts/20061026.html

is that a reference to something else? Is this some meme I don't get?
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Subject was filled in.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:00:27 am »

The idea that Bert is evil and has been associated with all the great evils of our modern world goes back a long long way on the internet.

It was a part of the Early Memes, that primodial soup back when the internet legitimately (not just for comic purposes) involved people mostly talking about Star Trek and Monty Python, back in the times when Mr. T had just discovered the pleasant taste of testicles, probably only a plurality of your base were belong to us and if your hamster was dancing like that, it meant it had A Problem.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: Subject was filled in.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 04:40:31 am »

well I wasn't aware of that meme.

you know I think that memes are only memes up until the point in time where a certain critical mass of distribution has been reached and at that point it's not a meme anymore it's just common knowledge and then a new meme has to rise up to fill any voids that are left.

um but anyway, the CIA or FBI or ABC or some governemtn agence like that they made a wanted posted of osama age progressed and well it turns out that the guy who made the poster cut 'n pasted some european politician's face and hair to make part of it and so there was kind of a to do about it in the news people were like wow the FBI uses mspaint?  huh?  If you click o the image of bert that I posted there's an participle about it.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up